Jets coach Rex Ryan says ground game will be back after pass-heavy win over Cowboys

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Sep 13, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/09/jets_coach_rex_ryan_says_groun.html

Can't wait to see the running game beat up on JAX. I think it'll help the OL get into a rhythm. Last night was very out of the norm for the Jets offense. In terms of run:pass

2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Won't mind seeing Sanchez air it out 40 times a week to finally see what he is made of

3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

4. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Our RBs should be in much better game shape than Johnson, who just got on a field for the 1st time in 9 months last week.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

To finally see what he's made of?

So the playoff games don't tell us anything?

This is a run first team.

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Maybe, but CJ off the couch might be a better back than Shonn Greene or LT. We can't run it much worse. I do think Dallas has a better front 7 than Jacksonville for sure though.

7. Jetsring2013

Jetsring2013 Banned

I'd like to hear your reasoning on why this is a "run first team". While I would certainly agree that the Jets have been a run first team the last couple of years (with good reason), I'm not sure that I see why it's such a given that we stay stuck in that mold?

8. Stanky Leg

Stanky Leg New Member

I'm anxiously awaiting Greene's emergence as a top level NFL RB. Hopefully he gets started this week.

9. Ohio Jet

Ohio Jet New Member

No way this is a ground and pound team this year. We try to be one and we won't make the playoffs.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Why would Rex deviate from what's worked for 2 years? Schotty isn't going to get his way of throwing the ball 40 times a game.

His style of offense is run first. That's what its going to be.

Not 60:40 run:pass, but the run will be established like usual. Sunday night was an anomaly due to the weak secondary.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't care what he says it will only be back if they can open some holes. They couldn't against Dallas.

12. Mangold Goldman

Sooo.... we didn't make the playoffs the last 2 years being ground and pound?

Whatever you say sir

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as EL Capitan keeps dropping 300+yd games on teams, eventually they will have to respect the pass and stop stacking the box. That's the only way our Gnd and Pnd will succeed. Right now, the league still doesn't respect Sanchez enough to do that so its a work in progress.

#13 Cman68, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't want to overreact to one game, but at the same time I would not say that Greene has yet (in past years) shown himself to be, in terms of being a starter, even an average NFL RB. If you can't think of 14 or 15 better RB's, you're not trying very hard.

Hopefully he picks it up. Otherwise no matter what Ryan said I doubt we see many Jet stats with more runs than passes.

15. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Maybe being behind 7-14 points in the game and not getting the push against the DL might influence play calling in a game.

Not an expert- I'll check with junc on that.

16. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

"So, yes, he still loves the ground-and-pound. But Ryan said he learned in last year’s comeback win at Detroit to never lock the team into one style... The bottom line is flexibility, to be able to go after the area of the opposing defense that is most vulnerable."

I think that's good advice right there.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

They smothered the line of scrimmage last week

Their front 7 is solid...... but their best DB is an overrated Rasheen Mathis.
    Derek Cox is solid, yet slow (and may be injured). Coleman is now their #3 guy, and Lowery at safety.
    Tennessee's yards mostly came through the air, and that's with Hasslebeck looking like shit, and being out of sync with his receivers (and trying to force passes to Kenny Britt)

I want to see the JETS reestablish the run game, but don't be surprised if we see a similar game plan next week.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It's one thing to say "We're going to run the ball!" if you have an OL that blows every opponent off the line, even with 8 or even 9 in the box, and RB's to get it done against that kind of pressure.

But if you fall somewhat short of that, and an opponent gears up their D to take away the run, you have to be flexible enough to make them pay by changing it up.

I think most here expected the Jets to pass the ball somewhat more this year. Even last year LT came in and brought with him the option of the halfback pass that the Jets did not have much of since Leon broke his leg, and imo even better than that. Sanchez's development is the obvious factor.

So maybe the Jets won't always be passing over 70% of the time, but I doubt it will be accurate to call the Jet O Ground and Pound, either.

19. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

The funny part is it looked like (again) Sanchez was doing much better in the hurry up where he was calling the plays rather than Shotty.

The Jets were run first a lot in Sanchez's rookie year, but last season Sanchez had 14 games where he threw over 30 passes, and 5 games where he threw over 38 passes.

20. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Out of curiosities sake, why makes you think that Schottenheimer wants to pass 40 times a game?

I dunno what more Schotty would have to do to prove that he's committed to the "ground and pound." Nobody in the league has called more running plays since he became offensive coordinator.