Jets Brass believe it would be stupid to trade leo (can’t link, at work)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Laxg41, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Strike one

2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I’m having a hard time feigning outrage at this.

K'OB, MoWilkBeast, Aero and 2 others like this.
  3. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

He takes plays off, I thought those guys are no longer acceptable

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Trading Leo with Gregg Williams coming in would be stupid. It's easy to see him being a way better fit on the interior of a 4-3 defense especially if you add an elite edge rusher, plus another starter on the outside.

It would be equally as stupid to extend him (which Manish's tweet implied the Jets would be open to).

Ozymandias, Andy_M, abc and 5 others like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I do think this is Leo's chance here. New DC and scheme takes all the excuses off the table. Leo has to produce period. Playtime is over and Bowles is gone.

Acad23, CBG, fggrimes and 7 others like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You should have made this 2 posts so I could like the first part.
    Extending him now could have its merits depending on the cap numbers per year. Reducing the 14 this year wouldn’t be a bad thing.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I heard they like his haircut

K'OB likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Does Leo look fat to them?

CBG and Quinnenthebeast like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

I don't think you should lock him up for any amount of guaranteed money past this year. He could be a stud under Williams with help on the edges... he could also just be pedestrian like he has been the last two years.Unless you extend him by like two years and move some of his 2019 money into a signing bonus that leaves us with minimal dead cap if we move on? A la Fitz?

SOJAZ and NYJFOREVER like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Heard they loved his end of season weigh in

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

BOOM.

Headshot.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Leonard Williams should absolutely be traded. Its simple - his reputation/perception far exceeds his value.

When you have a guy like that and a new staff, you are doing yourself a disservice by not trading him. People never think of trades like that. They think of it as moving on from Leonard Williams. Think of it as what Leonard Williams can bring you. This is business. They obviously can replace his production, so it should be a no-brainer.

ship him for a draft pick or see if someone wants to send a decent offensive talent in return.

13. BroadwayAaron

You have no idea what his value is until he plays in a defense that better suits his skillset. And if his reputation/perception is as bad as you make it out to be... who is going to trade anything of value for him? For starters, his reputation/perception is probably way worse on this website than in reality and second, you can't say his production can be replaced when you don't know how he will produce.

Edit: Think of the Colts and Henry Anderson. Would have been pretty dumb of them to switch to a 3-4 and then trade him for a 7th because that's all his current value was, right?

14. BrowningNagle

You read my post wrong. His reputation/perception is the ASSET. Its not bad, its good. People around the league think he's a really good player. That's great for trades.

Let some other team find out how he looks in a different defense. IT might work for them, it might not. But the Jets will have flipped an average player for something better, regardless. And thats a win

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

I did read it wrong. My bad.

See the addition I made above:

Think of the Colts and Henry Anderson. Would have been pretty dumb of them to switch to a 3-4 and then trade him for a 7th because that's all his current value was, right?

16. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

I would not trade Leo. He is only 24. I am anxious to see him in Williams defense. I believe he can still be a dominant player. Trading him now would be a huge mistake.

BudJet likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

Henry Anderson is great example. He outplayed Leonard Williams last year and we got him for nothing. Williams production can easily be replaced - we've already seen it first hand!!!

18. BroadwayAaron

Where did we see Leo playing inside in a 4-3 defense? I missed that season I think.

19. BrowningNagle

Pittsburgh says, hypothetically, we'll give you Antonio Brown for a draft pick and that sleeping giant Leonard Williams... The Jets should run to put pen to paper. Who gives a shit if Williams could be better in Gregg Williams' system or if Williams could be a better player than he is now down the line, you just maxed out his value.

New England gets this more than anyone. They are always trading guys with a perception higher than their value. Its why they trade guys like Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Brandin Cooks, etc. and we all think WTF are they doing??!!!? and then they replace their production and move on successfully.

Its about leverage. The Jets have great leverage with Leonard Williams right now

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

In what world is the bolded even remotely plausible? Come on. You can't use a pie-in-the-sky scenario PLUS a comparison to the Patriots to make your point.