Jets 2011 salary cap situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ace_o_spades, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I know I know another offseason thread..if a mod feels this could be merged into another thread than by all means merge away.

In 2009 the salary cap jumped 12 million to 128 million. Let's say for simplicity's sake it jumps 12 million again (will prolly be more if they go 18 games)

So salary cap is at 140 million

Jets current payroll for 2011 is $117,576,842

Cap space: 22,423,158

Potential cuts:

Kris Jenkins: saves $4,600,000
    Bryan Thomas: saves $3,700,000
    Damien Woody saves $3,240,000
    Jason Taylor: saves $2,275,000
    Vernon LOLston: $401,666

New total: 36,639,824

I'm not sure what the cap holds for our draft picks are but since we're picking at the end of each round I can't imagine they're very high.

Seems like we're not in terrible shape salary wise in terms of keeping 3/4 of our top free agents. Adding new players may be an issue but we'll see what happens

All information from http://nyjetscap.com/salary11.html

#1 ace_o_spades, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

The big issue is what will the salary cap be.

The players liked the amount the cap was jumping.

It was the owners who opted out of the CBA.

Right now the 140 million dollar number is optimistic.

It could be only 130 million.

It could really go either way.

But if the cap is 140 million then they can definitely keep 3 if not all 4 of their players. Plus cutting Ben Hartsock could give you another 1.65 million. I want him out. He never does anything good. He drops balls. Gets penalties. He's horrible

#2 MyFavoriteMartin5, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Well what was the projected cap for 2010 under the old CBA? Expanded rosters for an 18 game schedule with only a 2 million bump in the salary cap seems doesn't seem that feasible.

4. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

If the cap goes to 140, sure, but the whole lockout is driven by the owners wanting to reduce player salaries, so you could easily have a 130 million cap or something similar (or it goes to something higher than 130 but you have expanded rosters so you have to pay more players).

If you have 26 million in cap space instead of the 36 you're talking about real problems.

5. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

This will be an off-season full of tough decisions. I am hoping that some of our FA will take a bit less money to stay with the Jets and Rex - but then there is reality.

Not everyone can be CMart and Chad.

6. Montana

Montana Member

Won't be surprised at all, if Sanchez restructures his deal, in an attempt to bring back both Holmes and Edwards.

7. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

He has a huge cap number this year (17.8)-restructuing makes sense. Any thoughts on what they'd do? Extend him a year and add some guaranteed money?

8. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

I see all of those players being cut. Perhaps Jenkins comes back at vet minimum.

but i would rather cut Jenkins.

9. IATA

IATA Trolls

I still don't think we cut Gholston to save the $400k unless it's the difference between signing a big name or not.

Sanchez I can't imagine won't restructure his deal. $18 mil is a huge hit and freeing up even half of that with a longer deal & more guaranteed money would be a huge boost to the FA season.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The morning after the Jets’ came up short in their Super Bowl-or-bust season, Antonio Cromartie let everyone know exactly how he feels about the NFL’s uncertain labor landscape. The Jets cornerback was critical of both the NFL and NFLPA.

“Honestly, I don’t give a damn if they get mad at me or not,” Cromartie said. “But it’s getting to the point where it’s getting ridiculous when everything is always dealing with money. You’re basically dealing with people’s livelihoods… You’re dealing with hundreds of thousands of other people in this workplace from the venues to everyone else. To me, you need to stop bitching about it. If you want to say that you want to get into a room and meet. Then, do it. Don’t just talk about it.”

“You got our head union rep acting like an a-hole,” Cromartie added. “They got their guys acting like a-holes. So they just need to get their sh-- together and just get it done.”

Rex Ryan, whose team lost its second consectuve AFC Championship Game, called the pending labor mess “scary times.”

“Hopefully,” Ryan said. “They figure it out.”

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on twitter at http://Twitter.com/TheJetsStream

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

2011 Jets Free Agents

Shaun Ellis
    Steve Weatherford
    Brodney Pool
    Tony Richardson
    Braylon Edwards
    Wayne Hunter
    Trevor Pryce
    David Harris
    Robert Turner
    Nick Folk
    Antonio Cromartie
    Lance Laury
    Santonio Holmes
    Eric Smith
    Brad Smith
    James Ihedigbo
    Drew Coleman
    Kellen Clemens
    Marquice Cole
    Michael Turkovich
    Marcus Dixon

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am not show it works if we cut him before the end of the league year in an uncapped year. I am only speculating here. But if Gholston is cut before the end of the league year doesn't his bonuses and upfront money come off this years uncapped year. Meaning next year we would save his complete salary?

13. IATA

IATA Trolls

Everything I've seen and read have stated his getting $3.6 million guaranteed, with only the $400k counting if he stays.

14. Montana

Montana Member

If we cut Vernon Gholston now, we'd still have the full $5.8 million in dead money, and only save 400k.

He'll be here again next year.

15. All Star

All Star Active Member

However, that's 5.8 million that Woody can keep in his pocket to pay other players, no?

He's a goner.

16. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Kind of. He gets paid a little more than 3 million if he's on the team next year, mostly in a 2.5 million roster bonus, (his salary is 555k), and he takes up 6.3 million in cap space. If they cut him they don't have to pay him shit but he still takes up 5.8 million in cap space.

I think he's a goner.

17. ........

........ Trolls

It's still a net savings of $400k on the cap. There's no guarantee he'll be here next year. His cap number is $6.2, but $5.8 of that is already paid out to make it easier to cut him this year if need be.

18. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Gholston was fucking inactive for the playoffs. It's clear the Jets would rather play Gilbert and Dixon (and the just elevated Teveseau) over Vernon.

if he isn't cut, or restructured again to reduce his cap hit, I will be shocked. This is very similar to the year D-rob was traded to denver. Even though we ended up losing cap space to make the trade, we were rid of a worthless player. At least cutting gholston gives us 400k to work with.

In both cases it was addition by subtraction.

19. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Bryan Thomas. Was he even on the field yesterday?

20. Montana

Montana Member

missed his interception?