Jets 2.0...Getting Ready for 2015

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Building from the ground up is what the Jets need to do, to be successful. This process begins with Jets solidifying the OL. To me, nobody on their OL is a lock. I actually like Aboushi at LG the best, with playing time, he gets the job done. So Jets need a RG, a big guy that can move the pile. If Jets can upgrade the Center or Tackle positions...then why not, but they can survive for another season with what they would have...but clearly they have to re-build OL for future success. I'm actually tired of seeing D'Brick getting beat & not run-blocking properly. Brick was never a good run-blocker. What would really help the run-blocking is bigger & better TE's.
    Amaro has to develop & get stronger, cause he's never gonna get faster. He's a decent player, but not worthy of a 2nd round pick, he's just not a game-breaker. Cumberland is also not a strong blocker. he's also an undersized TE. Jets haven't had a competent run-blocking TE since they had Ben Harstock. Jets also have missed injured FB Bohannon in running game. he wasn't much for speed, but was a decent blocker; position can also be upgraded. Everyone knows Jets need 2 new WR's, so I won't go deeper than that. Jets are solid at RB position. There only strong position on Offense, but RB's can be so much more effective with better OL blocking. So with a strong OL & running attack, any team can win w/o a franchise QB and a smart Offensive Coordinator. So now drafting a franchise QB is not an end-all proposition Jets can then win with a good running game & controlled passing attack & solid OL with good blocking TE's. This means Jets can win with a Vick or Geno Smith, Cutler or Orton...or any experienced QB at QB & a solid defense. This is how Jets made it to AFC title game with Sanchez at QB.

Jets would/could easily be a playoff contender next season with a few upgrades via draft & F.A.'s. Jets could just use the "Double-Down" principle...which is: You double-up on the position of need you sign a F.A. & then draft a young player at same position...WR, OL, etc.

Defensively: Jets need CB's as we all can see, but more importantly, Jets need 2 OLB speed rushers & upgrade their ILB position with more speed. Someone to compliment Damario Davis, he's like a one-man show. Jets have to" get-after it" on defense. A good pass-rush makes even ordinary CB's more effective. Jets also need a fast Free Safety to compliment SS Pryor. Lastly....Jets need to upgrade the Punter & ST outside Gunners. Jets also have to upgrade their front office & scouting staff. Jets need a new GM....this doesn't necessarily mean Jets must get rid of Idzik, maybe just change his responsibilities from personnel to payroll management & bring in a Player Personnel guy & new Head Coach. Though I like Rex & he has a lot of good qualities, he just hasn't grown much in his tenure here. He has failed to move from D.C. to H.C. In his mind, he is still a D.C> & a H.C. has to be able to run & control the whole team....Offense, Defense, & S.T.....aka Bellichek or any really good NFL head coach. That's why I would like to see Jets hire Bill Pollian as player personnel guy as well as let Pollian hire an asst. GM as his heir apparent because he's getting up in years & Jets need continued success. Gets would also bring in John Grudin as H.C. This is my "State of the Jets."

tbruner12 and JeTsInTexas like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This looks like a big jumble of the obvious outside of the fact that we have no need at center as Nick Mangold is a good one and a keeper.

Try separating your ideas so it's easier to read.

3. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

I really don't understand this attitude that we just need an average QB to be a contender. We need a top tier QB for sustained success outside of 2-3 year "win now" format where the skill positions make up for the QB's deficiencies (see Sanchez, Mark). The QB is the one position that elevates the offence around them, you need multiple skill positions to elevate a QB.

westiedog1, tbruner12 and slimjasi like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Stopped reading at need 2 new wr's.
    unless you meant for the 4th and 5th spots. But i figure between that and thinking center can be upgraded the rest of the post wasn't going to get any better

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. Faux machine

Looking at the 2015 FA quarterbacks:
    http://nfltraderumors.co/2015-nfl-free-agents-list/
    Starting someone off that list who will be available, we would need 8 HOF players on offence to win a SB. So to that effect we would need 2 WR's.

FJF likes this.
  6. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

It all starts with losing out and drafting Marcus Mariota! Please God no Jameis Winston lol

Blowin for the Samoan!!!!

7. Faux machine

I'm good with either as long as they sit the bench for a year and learn/grow up before they start. Their pros and cons have been debated elsewhere at length. I don't see a better option for QB next year that won't cost us a valuable draft pick than to start Vick and have Geno back him up.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Its amazing how long we have to wait until the 2015 season starts,we are only half way thru this season!!holy shit this sucks

9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

The problem is, you just can't want an elite QB and get one, they don't fall out of the sky. Of the 32 teams there may be 6-8 top tier QB's and if they go down you have nothing without a team full of talent. If you build a solid team that an average QB can succeed with, when that elite talent becomes available everything else is already in place.

Even this year, with an average QB we could easily be 4-5 or 5-4 maybe 6-3.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I agree completely. Decker has been very good, Amaro has done very well, Ivory is a beast and the addition of Harvin has shown its potential. If we just had an average to above average QB, we'd be a very solid team. The quarterback play has been terrible. Can't get anywhere with such shitty QB play

Fiftynine likes this.
  11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Suck for the Duck

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yeah!!

13. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Despite our record, I think we do have a solid core of players on offense and defense. Great QB's are rare, good or very good QB's can be had pretty easily in both the draft and FA.

Case in point... Mark Sanchez is/was a good QB on a team with talent. He helped get a very good team, a game way twice. He did have limitations, but played well enough during the year to make the play-offs, once in the play-offs, he did very well.

I have no problems with Vick for another year or 2 if he can pull it together in the next 7 weeks and show he still has NFL level ability. That gives us another year of draft and FA activity to work on other areas of need. Beefing up the O-line is a must for an average QB to play behind, that should be a priority, especially if we plan on a young guy (or fragile guy) to take snaps.

dmatt36 likes this.
  14. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Aboushi so far has performed really well at LG, with both pass and run blocking assignments.

D'brickashaw may have lost a step and seems to have conditioning issues, where his performance tends to drop off rapidly late in the game, but he's still a serviceable and highly competent LT. His poor play over the past couple of years could be attributed to having to account for shit guards playing next to him. He actually had a pretty good game against Hali last week, and only struggled on some stretch run plays. He should return to form the more settled in Aboushi gets.

Giancommi has been playing pretty well, and has cut down on the penalties. He didn't falter with blind side responsibilities and had a great day against Houston (I think the sack leader) last week.

Colon isn't terrible, but we should look to upgrade, so I agree with you there.

Thinking that we can upgrade at Center is beyond madness. In what way has Mangold regressed?

What two WRs do we need? Are we getting rid of Decker and Harvin or do you have us switching to a 4WR spread offense?

Amaro isn't worth a 2nd round pick? He certainly shows that value when we throw to him. Hard to judge the kid's speed and hands when he's (bizarrely) not targeted at all. Our FB situation will be fine once Connor is off the team--dude can't block or catch.

These are the changes you want to make while keeping Vick and/or Geno as the starting QB? I don't know what you were smoking at 8am, but please send some my way.

15. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Need a new QB to start, and a franchiser not a crappy bandaid

16. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

IMO....Jets still need 2 WR's to add to what they presently have. They need a beast as their #1 WR & another big WR. This add0ed to Kerley, Decker & Harvin. Harvin is more of a Gadget/RB/WR....not a pure deep threat WR.

17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

PFF has rated him a bottom 3 Guard in the NFL in pass blocking. Good grade though at run blocking however. Its still early and he faced 2 solid pass rushing teams but he still has room to improve and hopefully he does.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/11/4/7158053/oday-aboushi-providing-no-relief-at-guard

Fiftynine likes this.
  18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I generally agree, which is why I wanted to start Vick instead of that stiff Smith from the get go. CB was still going to be a problem, though.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh, a past standard of mediocrity has some fans seeing things. Aboushi may develop, but he's not shown much so far.

20. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I stop reading when he said "nobody a lock for OL" I guess he doesn't know we have the best center in the NFL.

JetLifeLo likes this.