Jets #1 in DVOA

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInMD, Nov 8, 2011.

1. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

for only the second time in 20 years the Jets are rated number one by FootballOutsiders.

From the FO website:

Here is this week's DVOA intro.

There is more in the article on Football Outsiders

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Football Outsiders is great.. I look forward to reading all the comments bashing Aaron Shatz and calling him a retard.

3. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I can see advanced metrics in baseball but football? Come on.

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

It's beyond stupid. I never took these guys seriously, and I could care less where they have the Jets ranked.

5. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Any statistical metric that says that any team is better than the Packers right now is hokum.

6. RMorin

RMorin Member

DVOA head to head has predicted the winning team correctly 74% percent of the time this season. You can't argue with that success. The closest ESPN pundit is only around 71%. Its a legitimate way of evaluating match ups.

Success doesn't lie.

7. MeanGreen1983

MeanGreen1983 New Member

In a world concerned wayyyy too much about numbers, one thing is for sure, we're getting hot right now and this is the perfect time to CRUSH the Patriots

8. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

It's an interesting way to evaluate things and I agree that the ravens game severely skewed our stats. I know we are no offensive juggernaut but if you take out that game our offense would be somewhere in the middle of the pack and that's with a running game that really only kicked in 5 weeks into the season.

As far as being ranked above the packers that is a bit crazy but if there is any team that can slow down Rogers it would be the jets. We give QBs more trouble than any other defense out there and I know it was a long time ago last Halloween but we held green bay to 9 points and no td's even when our offense couldn't get a first down most of the game.

9. Odd Neck Stems

It actually gives the Packers a better expected winning percentage (based on first quarter success and other things, apparently), but gives the Jets the number one "score," which seems to be because they rate the Jets offense better than the Ravens, and because they rate the Packers defense as beyond terrible. That plus a really, really strong special teams. For most teams, special teams barely impacts the rankings, but for the Jets, the special teams is worth more than the offense is.

I don't agree with their rankings 100% (shouldn't the team with the highest "expected wins" be ranked number one?), it a lot of their reasoning is backed up on the field.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

DVOA is radically inaccurate in terms of ranking great teams vs good ones. It has this problem almost every year, where a team that is clearly the class of the league is outranked by a .600 team that clearly is not.

It's an interesting metric to look at but it does not ever tell us who the best team in the league is, primarily because it keeps putting solid all around teams teams like the Jets, Ravens and Steelers at the top of the rankings over teams that are actually the best in the NFL.

11. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Can't argue with that. It assumes that if a team has a weakness that that weakness can be exploited. That is a weakness of almost all statistical analysis.

I thought it was just as interesting that this is only the second time in 20 years that the Jets were rated #1.

12. RMorin

RMorin Member

I explained how you are wrong over three pages in the last thread. Disregard wins, DVOA suggests that other statistics are a better measure of how good a team is. Stop getting so hung up on wins or playoff seeding.

There are certain facts you conveniently never respond to. You never got back to me and explained how DVOA head-to-head predicts the winning team 74% of the time. This is better then any ESPN analyst (71%) and ESPN Accuscore (72%). Once you can predict games better then 74% (you can't) you can say it is "radically inaccurate" until then try to understand the math behind it.

13. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

DVOA predicts which is the "best team." It doesn't tell you who will win the trophy. Those are not usually the same two teams. Any single elimination tournament will not judge who is best, just who wins.

That said, I have no idea what 5ux's view of the "best" team is.

14. RMorin

RMorin Member

That's my whole point. 5ux argued that DVOA did not predict the outcome of the 2009 playoffs because the Colts and Saints were only ranked 8 and 6. But what he fails to understand is that the Colts and Saints only played teams with a worse DVOA in the playoffs, so it actually played out exactly how you would expect.

You put it well, it predicts who is likely to win a game (and predicts it well) not "the subjective best".

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's just not a worthwhile metric. It would be wonderful if it actually sorted out the gems from the trash but it really doesn't. Anybody who thinks the Jets have been the best team in football by that amount through 8 weeks just isn't seeing the forest for the trees. Same for the Ravens in 2009.

I'd love to be able to sort out the bias quickly and easily and present it but it really is an insidious bias and it resists that type of display. It's definitely there though.

16. The Sanchise

The Sanchise Active Member

Does DVOA have anything to do w/ QB play

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

By this metric the Jets should be 12-4 this season.

18. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Could happen.

Probably won't but still possible.

19. RMorin

RMorin Member

Please answer this one question:

How can it predict 74% of games head to head (better then literally ANYTHING we have access to) and not be a worthwhile metric? Unless you can answer that stop talking about things you don't understand. You have literally never answered this question in this thread or the last, keep conveniently avoiding it and saying vague things about "bias".

#19 RMorin, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  20. RMorin

RMorin Member

DVOA changes every week. If the Jets start to play worse then they could be ranked lower and hence lose to a team ranked higher. Upsets will always happen, but it is a statistically sound way to predict games.