Jet hierarchy structure

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFLDayspast, Jan 22, 2020.

1. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

Does anyone know the role the Head coach of the Jets plays in drafting players over the past 10 years? I bring this up because the GMs get the heat they deserve, while we often view coaches in a bubble. I read the GM and coach report to the owner.

With some teams a coach can't make the selection but can stop certain selections if it is a player they don't want.

I am no fan of Maccagnan but I assume Bowles was also in the room on draft day and I assume he gave his opinion. Look at the Adams and Maye picks- Bowles was a former safety- don't tell me he didn't have input on that. Maccagnan didn't operate in a vacuum.

Does anyone know what the process was involving input from the head coaches?

boozer32 likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Rex and Bowles both had to have their fingerprints all over the selection. Rex was here for six years and got three first round defensive backs, and three first round defensive lineman, along with big contracts to Cromartie and Revis (stint #1).

Bowles got an entire new secondary in free agency in his first year here, then took a hybrid linebacker (compared to Deone Buccanon in AZ) in Darron Lee, and safeties in back to back rounds followed by another top 5 paid corner. His second in three years.

I'd say they heavily influences the decisions. It's no secret that there aren't a lot of receivers and offensive tackles mixed in to that group above.

MoWilkBeast, NYJFOREVER, Vida and 3 others like this.
  3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Mangini, too. I think it started with Tannenbaum's tenure as GM.

boozer32 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

I wonder how it works in successful organizations and what the input level is for head coaches. I wonder if it varies or if there's a defining structure. I would imagine Douglas knows, coming from the Ravens.

We'll probably never know, but I would imagine that head coaches are a lot more involved at the top of the draft and leave a lot more discretion to the GM at the bottom.

5. NFLDayspast

NFLDayspast Active Member

It is unfortunate we will never know because I think it would be telling. I try to make the point regarding Mahomes- Maccagnan did not pass in a vacuum. Bowles, his defensive minded head coach happened to be a former safety.

Do you think it is possible that if the GM and Coach disagree the Johnsons will make the call? Adams may be on them as I believe they would side with Bowles over Maccagnan. They were extremely committed to him and he lost his job in large part because the league was focusing on offensive minded coaches. The Jets couldn't move forward without an offensive coach.

6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

For what it’s worth, we heard a lot of noise during the Rex era about him getting one personal pick per draft. He himself — maybe during Hard Knocks? — discussed turning one such pick into the disappointing John Conner after watching (not enough) game tape.

Which is not to say he didn’t have input over other picks.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Taj Boyd is another one. His son played with him at Clemson. What a stupid fucking concept.

I would hope not. But from an organizational standpoint there are definitely trends that we have seen. The want for an interior lineman has been alive since we passed on Sapp. From Robertson through this disastrous decade.

That has been the case with every single regime. So they have to have influence on that.

The owner should not be involved in personnel decisions. And they obviously are. From the defensive tackle disasters to Favre to Tebow to the mis-handling of Revis post 2010.

There also shouldn't be that much disagreeing among the HC and GM because they should share the same vision. That's not to say that they'll always agree, but I would imagine the better run franchises see the same thing in the same players for the most part.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

When Rex was head coach and Sanchez was starting QB, Sanchez got a pick in one of the drafts. He chose his WR buddy in the 7th round. It was a wasted pick.

boozer32 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think the correct answer is we dont know. i dont ever recall hearing anything out of the jets about how the selections are made, who has input and who does not. i assume they have probably tried a number of different ways in the past 15 years as they have done an absolutely horrible job overall since woody took over the team.

i think the whole thought process of the hc and gm both reporting to the owner as i guess equals is silly and hasnt worked at all for the jets.

bring in a good gm who knows the job, can handle the scouts and head coach and let him handle it. and keep anyone named johnson as far away from the decision making as possible. they should actually hire a football president to give even one more layer of buffer between the idiots and the gm, hc, players.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Hopefully they now have the right GM.

alleycat9 and boozer32 like this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Bowles was a defensive coach and that is what they drafted under him with no success. With pressure probably from the Johnsons and from the fan they fially took an offensive player in Darnold. If they hadn't the fans would have burned down the Jets. I think the Johnsons stay out of it. Thankfully Gase stepped up and got Maccagnan fired (just wish he wouldn't have let him draft first). I still don't know what triggered it.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Mangini drafted pretty well for the Jets. We got Mangold and Ferguson for over a decade, plus he drafted Revis. Tannenbaum was an accountant and knew nothing. Wouldn't mind Mangini coming back in a personnel department gig. Certainly wouldn't hurt as he possibly drafted 3 potential HOFamers for the Jets.

13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Think this was confirmed in Collision Low Crossers. Rex also made a comment about the Pryor selection along the lines of give me the guy who hits hard - the team had 2 safeties to chose from, iirc the other was Clinton-Dix, but there's been a lot of failed draft picks under the bridge since then so my memory might be faulty.

I think it is safe to say that the HC has had a significant impact on the picks and this might not be an entirely bad thing. The question really is have the owners undermined the GM by insisting the HC gets to pick players he likes because they fit his vision over ones that the GM and scouting staff like. And that we may never know. I suspect in the past this is the case, but that last year was solely Mac.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It should be..

Gase- I need these type of players on offense
    Williams- I need these type of players on D
    JD- OK I’ll find them.

In the end though, draft picks fall on the GM who has final say whether he is persuaded by the HC or not.

FJF, Jonathan_Vilma and boozer32 like this.
  15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Terry Bradway sat in some corner office jerking off after he was demoted, but he did yell a lot afterwards that he wanted and made a huge case for Russell Wilson but no-one would listen to him. Does anyone even know what that demotion accomplished other than wasting my time?

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

my recollection was hearing that bradway was a very good scout, who did a great job scouting but was a horrible gm. i think that they wanted to keep him as a scout which is why he was demoted. i dont think any of us really know what he was or he wasnt. if he was passing along good info or not. who was the gm that replaced him when he got demoted? was it tannenbaum? i think it was, so they probably realized we have a numbers guy at gm, we need to make sure he has people that understand the scouting and can help him and they probably still felt bradway was good in that department.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IOW: Jets ownership was clueless about how to construct a winning franchise.

...and still is.

alleycat9 likes this.