Jet Fan Reactions to AFC Championship

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FriendlyGiantsFan, Jan 24, 2010.

1. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

In the past few hours I have been exposed to some interesting behavior on the part of certain Jets' fans. I called a coworker to discuss the game and his immediate response to my call was "Whatever, we lost! Fine! Eli is f*cking overrated and your defense sucks sh*t and needs to be rebuilt! You're not winning anything for at least 10 years!"

I had an old friend from college, we talk after every Giants & Jets game, right away say "Yeah, we lost this one but at least we made it this far. We kept fighting while you guys gave up weeks before the season was over"

My brother had a similar experience with a friend saying "You're a Giants' fan and your team sucks. You WISH you could have been rooting for the Jets today!"

...and of course there are comments by some posters on this board that are along the same lines.

So let me ask, why is the initial reaction of certain Jets' fans to bash the Giants for having a bad season? I could understand this approach if these comments came from people I have adversarial relationships with, but these are people I'm friends/friendly with.

So what the hell? Besides reeking of inferiority complex, it's just obnoxious. Can anyone here shed any light on this? I mostly find Jets' fans agreeable, but it seems as though the character of the average Jet fan I've encountered has taken a nose dive since they made the playoffs.

2. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Fuck you, get out of here

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Well, from my experience of being a Yankees fan, every time the Mets get success, they compare themselves to the Yankees and try to denigrate them. I'm sure some Jets fans have that mentality.

4. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Because they might feel that you're asking to gloat at them.

Giants fans (like Francessa) have done their part in trying to make Jets fans feel like shit, and it leads to lashing out after a hard loss.

5. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Maybe its just you...

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

There were also Giants fans rooting against the Jets. I can't explain either, but I had no urge to bash the Giants.

Edit: Fuck it, blame Francesa.

7. FriendlyGiantsFan

I think you're being sarcastic, but it's tough to tell with you...

8. FriendlyGiantsFan

Happened to my brother as well. And recently heard fans calling in on the radio saying similar comments. It's happening across Jet nation, apparently.

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I personally have nothing against the Giants , most of my close friends are Giant fans. But to answer your other question... No my initial reaction was dam the Colts are a dam good fucking team.

My second reaction was; I am dam proud of my team and proud to be a Jets fan.

That being said I live on the Left Coast so I'm not in the middle of Giant Country.

10. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I don't know why this made me laugh, but funny as hell.:rofl:

I don't know why anyone would bash the Giants' fans because we lost today, unless they just know you are a Giants fan and want to bust your balls. Or if it was proceeded by "Ha ha you lost!" Every team probably has its sore losers, we're no different.

11. FriendlyGiantsFan

Mike Francessa sets the clock back on Giant-Jet fan relations as well as general football comprehension.

...oh, and the quality of radio. He dicks that up too.

12. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

It's too soon to be objective.
    People are fucking upset.

13. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

it's francessa's fault.

14. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

All fans react differently and a lot of them don't want to hear anything after a big loss. If they thought you were calling to make some comment like you see Eli cheering on his bro as he was torching your D...well they need a few minutes to reflect on the game and cool off.

Like f you got kicked in the nuts and someone started laughing at you the second you hit the ground...would you want to hear that? Of course not you wait until later an when you can reflect you might find it humorous.

15. NYMIJ

NYMIJ New Member

Giants fans are alright. Now your fault your QB is a gigantic douche.

16. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

If you were friendly with these people you should know not to make antagonistic phone calls to "discuss the game" minutes or hours after their team was eliminated from the playoffs.

17. FriendlyGiantsFan

One would think that should be everyone's reaction. When the Giants were winning playoff games in 2007, I wasn't thinking "oh man! The best part of this will be rubbing it in the face of Jet fans!" I was focused solely on the team I root for and care about.

18. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

It was sarcastic. The setup was there.

19. FriendlyGiantsFan

We always talk after every game. If they can call me after being eliminated by Philly in the Divisional round last year and I can not start the conversation by saying "Your QB is old and is teh sux" why can't they?

20. FriendlyGiantsFan

Granted, just wanted to make sure you weren't one of them.