Jerricho Cotchery completed the most badass play of the year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetzIII, Nov 16, 2010.

1. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

With all due respect to Mike Thomas and Michael Vick, Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery had the play of the week. All things considered, it may be the play of the year.

Let’s set the scene. The Jets had a third-and-nine in overtime at their own 37-yard line. While Mark Sanchez was doing his best Eli Manning in the Super Bowl impression under durress, Cotchery went out for a route and badly hurt his groin.

Instead of giving up on the play, Cotchery stayed upright on one leg and hopped eight times with cornerback Eric Wright trialing him. Sanchez then threw to Cotchery who extended for one of the prettiest diving catches you’ll ever see. First down. (The whole play can be seen at NFL.com — wait for the third replay.) Jets coach Rex Ryan showed the play to the entire team on Monday.

“Everybody was in kind of awe,” tackle Damien Woody said via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen that,” Ryan said. “It was just amazing effort.”
    Cotchery said with a laugh that he didn’t think Sanchez would throw it to him. “I just tried to make that catch for him,” Cotchery said.
    “Seeing this guy come into the screen, hobbling on one leg and grabbing himself, trying to hold himself together and for him to just dive . . . that’s sacrifice,” Holmes said via the Newark Star-Ledger. “That’s what we’re constantly building around here.”
    The play set up a Nick Folk missed field goal, which eventually led to the Jets’ game-winner by Holmes. But what happened after the catch is almost irrelevant. That was a defining play for one of the tougher receivers in the league, and the Jets hope it’s a play they look back on to help define their season.
    It’s also the last play Cotchery will make for a while. He’s expected to miss a few games with a “slight tear” of his groin muscle.

2. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Hear Hear.

That play blew my mind. Cotch is obviously a warrior, and that catch exemplified it! And with a pulled groin?? Holy shit! It made up for the plethora of drops over the weeks. Keep it up, Cotch!

3. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Very underated play

4. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

great play looking at it again..

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Except that it set up a missed field goal, instead of a punt, so it ultimately hurt field position wise. Not that any of that can be laid at Cotchery. The man's unbelievable. Whichever mope labelled him Jerricho Droppery ought to be ashamed.

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I wonder just how bad it hurt to lay out like that with his groin already hurt. Cotchery earned a free pass on bad games for his entire career with that play. Not that he hadn't already earned that or anything.

7. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

While I'm watching the game there's a commercial that comes on with some product endorsing the Play of the Week to Mike Thomas. I was like WTF? Are you kidding me? Cotchery's play was the Play of the Week. It was pure skill and sacrifice involved with that. Mike Thomas' play was just pure luck with the ball landing in his hands after it was tipped. Pathetic.

8. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

One bad game and some fans turn instantly on a player.What a shame!

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The catch itself was one of the best plays of the day. Then to find out he had a slight groin tear when he made the catch made it an epic play.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

It reminded me of this when I saw Cotch get hurt and make the catch

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU[/youtube]

11. Jet In Brooklyn

Jet In Brooklyn New Member

Epic shit from gumby's opponent.

12. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

That's fucking brilliant.

13. Trifco

Trifco New Member

Not counting mark escaping from the sacks.
    Not counting it was 3rd and 9 in overtime.

14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

lol. Well, as great as Cotchery's catch was, I must admit your video shows it would've been even better if only we could've listened Cotchery's thoughts played out loud.
    :rofl:

15. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

The catch was pretty amazing. How did it hurt? If JCo hadn't made the catch, then the Jets would have been 4/9 from NY37. As it is, thanks to JCo, the drive continued for another 3.5 minutes until stalling at the CL29 so that Folk could miss the FG. That seems better than having to punt.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Cotchery has never completed a pass in his career. That was a hell of a catch Sunday though.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I feel bad pointing this out....but it also allowed more time to be run off the clock with our offense on the field. That's a plus.

However.....He cost a game hence...Droppery (not my monniker btw..I am down with Mevi$ however ; ) but now has brought a game back from the dead by being badass...

So..I think everyone (Including me) that gave him crap over the GB loss needs to put in the mulligan, and go back to the body of work which now includes what should be an all time great catch. (If JCo was a Pat, Or a Phag, or a Stiller or a Fagboy, you'd still be seeing that clip on Sportscenter.)

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Up until that play, I was convinced we would end up in a tie. A tie that would ultimately hurt us later in the standings.

But seeing him grab that ball and then making that catch made me all warm & fuzzy inside...

19. jco2007

jco2007 Active Member

Awesome play indeed. Classic Cotchery right there. A shame that ESPN and whatnot doesn't recognize it more though...partly because his name isn't Randy Moss or Chad Ochocinco