JD & Zach Hypothetical

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Oct 13, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If by the one in a million chance Zach did not pan out and became the only real big blemish on JD’s record, would/should he given another opportunity to draft our next potential franchise QB? GMs don’t usually get multiple bites at the 1st round QB apple especially in NY. I like JD and what he has done; I wouldn’t want to lose a good GM over one pick. I apologize beforehand. I normally don’t create new threads but @CotcheryFan’s question about where AVT landed on my favorite Jets list which made this question pop up in my mind for some reason. I couldn’t find an appropriate existing thread to place it.

#1 legler82, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

First of all you don’t have to apologize, It’s a forum and most of us can overlook your disdain for Wilson.

As far as JD getting a second chance if Wilson doesn’t work out, I believe he should. I love what he has done as well, he is putting together a very talented team, problem is he can’t do it all in one draft.

He has given the CS players to work with, and I believe he will address the oline again next year and another skilled WR with top picks in draft.

NCJetsfan, Savatage, FJF and 2 others like this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I like your Zach odds and for now, I agree with them. As for JD, It's way too early to determine whether he's doing a good job. I will say this, we can't keep recycling GM's every time the Jets have a losing season. We need stability in the FO in order to move forward.

NCJetsfan, FJF and legler82 like this.
  4. legler82

[​IMG]

5. legler82

I don’t think it’s too early to determine whether JD is doing a good job or not. I personally think he is especially in comparison to our prior GMs in recent history. I know that’s a low bar but we have to start from somewhere. I agree the recycling needs to stop and not just in the FO.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

JD gets a second chance ? Really not a question since he locked himself in for 6 years and this is year 3

A better Post would be grade JD at the end of this full Season

7. legler82

When has a contract ever hindered a NY team from firing someone in a CS or FO?

Jets69 likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

Of course it's not too early ..jeez he's been on board 3 years

I posted this before ...his Job will hinge on ZW and his choice of/ complicity in OC DC and of course HC leading the Jets to a winning Franchise

To their credit, the Johnsons understood that too much recycling of GM was not a great idea and were persuaded by Douglas to give him a long term deal

legler82 likes this.
  9. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Ryan Pace got another bite at the apple after picking Trubisky 2nd overall.

10. NYJetsO12

Lol too funny ..that's what the Johnsons should be doing ..throwing trash cans like Mara. Who demands results and accountability never really giving any f&cking Coach a cushy seat. Instead they woosy out knowing the Dumb fans keep showing up payin for the tire fire

Did Toilet Bowels and Macagnan deserve that extension ??? Woody and Chris handed it to them

We have to pray JD will get this right whatever it takes because J& J are beyond lost

#10 NYJetsO12, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. legler82

True. Yet he is on the hot seat despite making the playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If Zach Wilson continues to play this bad for the rest of the year ( a big if), I would look at QB next year in the draft were I JD. Maybe not with a top three pick, but perhaps with the Seattle pick or a trade down. This assumes that there is someone there worthy at that spot. BUT, I would hope Zach will still be the presumptive starter next year (2022), and let the new QB spend a year learning on the bench (unless he pulls a Russell Wilson and is too good to sit as a rookie).. Many of the great ones (Brady, Favre, Rodgers) spent a year or more on the bench before starting. If after two years Zach still stinks , then I would look to play the new QB in 2023 or sign or trade for a veteran Arizona was not afraid to admit that Rosen stunk right away and quickly moved on to Murray the next year ( a pretty good decision).

mrmajix and Red Menace like this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I thought he messed up in the middle rounds last year. Was not a fan of taking Zuniga, Morgan, and Perine. I thought the 2021 class was much better when the picks were made.

If he can build a core of players minus the QB, I'd be for letting him pick another one. This is something the two previous GM's were unable to do. Even Ozzie whiffed on Boller.

NCJetsfan, Pepsiguy5, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm not committing further with JD unless this team starts to resemble a team that Is naturally ascending through this rebuild. I want to see the type of progress that makes you say... Yep, we are right there, just a little more patience.

I, In no way, feel that way yet. Until that happens. Nobody Is off limits. IMO. Results matter. It's a TBD situation. IMO

Lon Chaney, REVISion and BacktoQueens like this.
  15. legler82

Zach is safe for at least 2 years regardless of how he plays. There’s no QB as talented as him in next year’s draft and this is coming from the guy that supposedly has a deep “disdain” for him.

Jeff M, NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  16. legler82

We’ve tried your approach too many times and it hasn’t worked out. It may be finally time to experiment with patience.

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Either way, I see very little chance this team picks another quarterback or even a reason to. I think by the end of year two you can make a true honest evaluation but I understand why organizations want to see year three.

It's not impossible for quarterbacks to suck as rookies and be much better in their second year. It's just difficult to overcome.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Who stole Legler's login details :D:D:D

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Am I wrong? I thought you were all in on Fields and wanted no part of Wilson?

If I’m wrong then I do apologize.

20. legler82

[​IMG]

K'OB likes this.