JC's Things To Watch For Tonite

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetcane, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

It may only be a PS game, but it's the only game in town tonite.

Feel free to add your own observations, insights and prognostications for tonite's Jets-Skins pre-season game.

1- Favre. He'll only play a couple of series, but will be making his debut in a real live Jets uni. He'll find cotchery for at least one long pass that will make us jump up out of our seats. CBS is carrying the game nationally; it should be fun.

2- The other QBs- tonite is a big night for Clemens, insofar as preseason challenges go. He'll get plenty of PT, and needs to get it in gear if he wants to hold on to the #2 spot, build up his confidence, and the confidence of the CS in him. Ratty has made much progress this summer, and you know he wants to continue that. He didnt have a great week in practice this week, but can reverse that with a good showing tonite.

3- The run D. On the first team, the middle looks solid, but can the guys on the edge shut it down, and execute the simple, vanilla schemes. Pace, Gohlston, Bowens are still learning the system. Do the simple things well before you move on to the more complex stuff. On the second/third units, who will step up with a good performance at NT and DE?

4- The secondary- the battle for the starting #2 CB continues. Barrett and Miller will see some PT, Poteat and Barrett both played some nickel in practice this week, Eric Smith needs PT to get in better synch with Rhodes, Elam needs to do a better job of playing under control. Can Lowery continue his strong showing?

5- The RBs. TJ and Leon will get some work in, then turn it over to the subs. Who will get the work in, and is the backfield deep enough behind the starters?

6- Things to avoid: penalties, turnovers and injuries. Let's get through this PS game healthy.

7- The unsung players: who will suddenly appear on our radar with a big effort tonite?

8- The OL: the first unit was worked hard this week, and i am expecting a good effort out of them tonite. On the second/third units, who will shine? A few guys to watch: #63 DeVan, #75 Turner, #71 Garner, #72 Bender, #68 Montgomery, #78 hunter.

9- The WRs and TEs: keller came on some this week and could be in the gameplan. Clemens to Stuckey/Wright/Clowney got plenty of reps this week and should also figure prominently in the gameplan.

10- Special Teams- traditionally a strong part of the Jets under Coach Westhoff, undergoing a transition with new ST coach O'Dea. I'd like to see them have a strong outing, as STs can show off in preseason and dont need a few weeks of regular season work to "jell".

Prediction: Jets 27 Skins 23

#1 Jetcane, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I look at the Redskins as a tough inside out running team who can go over the top when they have the numbers. Can we stop the run without pinching the safties up? Can we keep them from going around the edge on the ground? Can we do it with Rhodes helping over the top?

3. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Um the game maybe on CBS locally not nationally as you posted. The outside the local NY area people have to go to NFLN. Here in Austin TX CBS is showing the Den/Dallas game not the NYJ/Wash game

5. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

My bad- it is NFLN showing it nationally.

6. KleckoNamathToon

Thanks Cane. Great thoughts. I will also be watching the LBs, especially the ILBs. I want to see Harris look like last year and find out who will be an effective backup. I thought Kassell was the worst so I'm anxious to see who can step up, Bowens, Cummings, Renkart? I also want to see if Murrell can continue to make plays.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think the person(s) with the most to gain/lose tonight are Clemens/Ratliff, and Miller.
    If Ratliff has another outing that's solid, not even spectacular, he's got to be ahead of Clemens, in the "QB of the future" voting. On the flip side, if he struggles, the doubters will be looking for blood. Also, i think if he does well, the anti- Clemens sentiment, will grow.

Miller needs to have a real strong game, also. IMO, this guy is not a starting caliber CB. His role, to me, in the NFL, is as a return guy, end of story.

8. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico New Member

lets not forget to watch colt brennan, especially after his performance last game. i mean we'll be needing a franchise qb in a couple years anyway.

9. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Less Musa Smith, more of anyone else.

10. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

Stuckey- He seems to fly under the radar a lot in camp. I think he's looked decent in the limited times I've seen him. I'd like to see him have a real solid outing.

A big series from the starting defense- vanilla coverage granted, but I want to see some solid fundamental defensive play. I thought limited Jenkins looked good last week. Pace looked athletic, I don't know about his coverage skills though. Run-stops, pressure on the qb, the last game left me encouraged but wanting more.

11. Bigoljetairliner28

Bigoljetairliner28 New Member

would like to see anything positive out of Mt Vernon... even one rudimentary big ol bull rush for a sack would be wonderful.

12. allan1

allan1 Active Member

I'd like to see Gholston blow by a tackle and squash the QB

13. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Here's the stuff I'm most interested in:

1) play of the #2 CB

I think that's the biggest question going into the season. Will Miller play better than last game (where he had a big penalty)? How much time will Barrett and Lowery get?

2) Gholston

He should get serious minutes. Will he look lost again ?

3) backup QB battle

Can Ratliff repeat his great performance or was he a 1-game wonder? Will Clemens look good or not ?

4) backup OL

Do we have to bring in one experienced lineman before the season starts or will the current guys be good enough. Good play by Hunter and Montgomery will go far to put my mind at ease.

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Good to see Mangini giving you time off has gotten rid of the fatigue......hahah.

Good points. I think some things I want to see, albeit they will most likely have limited time.......Some things probably similar in thought to you.

Individually:

1.) Brick- I am anxious to see if the weight gain, hard work and Faneca will allow him to progress. Anyway for the little time he will be in I would like to see something.

2.) Mangold- Ditto because as much as I hate ot say this, he was not spectacular either last year. (he regressed a little bit)..... Keep in mind there was a black hole to his left.

3.) Harris- Just want to see him in action as he has been relegated to the exercise bike for long stretches. It will be good to see him in action.

4.) Smith/Elam- We know Rhodes is going to have a monster year. I want to see one of these guys step up not just be a hold the fort guy, lesser of two evil guys.

5.) Miller/Lowery/Barret- read above just substitute Revis for Rhodes. Please please please let Miller or Lowery develop into a player. Pretty please with sugar on top............ I hope I asked nice enough.:wink:

6.) OLB's- Obviously this is all important aspect for a 3-4 to run. I want to see Gholston improve, (not difficult) and not look as lost. Thomas, I hope reverts back to 2 years ago, I hope he forgets this is not a contract year. Pace, I am really excited to see if he can be as good as I think he may be.

I am probably repeating some stuff.......sorry but we are probably on the same page........

7.) Clowney/Keller- I am really anxious to see these 2 and see if they can continue with their progress and good play. The rest of the offense I think we are well familiar with so I am not nearly as excited/anxious about them as I am about Clowney and Keller.

8.) L. Washington- He can be a significant weapon. The trick is can this coaching staff figure out how to utilize him. We will not see it in this game obviously. Just want to see how/if he can mesh with Favre.

9.) Jenkins- I hope he is not in long......just want to see him dominate a little bit and GTFO.

That about covers it I suppose..........

I am not too worried about Favre as it is only his first game. Thank god we have a legit QB though. Also not too worried about Rhodes, Revis, Cotch, LC, T. Jones, Baker, Franks, etc. etc. guys that we know what we have.

Team wise, I want to see better first team defense, the same 2nd/3rd team offense and good special teams. I really want to see some better coaching. I know it was the preseason but that last game was freaking listless, which is something I can not stand.

#14 Miamipuck, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  15. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Good post.

16. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Good post!

17. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

That's a scary thought.

:wink:

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

LOL, It really is for another person. Please put the gun down.

19. KleckoNamathToon

Just a dumb question but I was looking at the roster posted above and it list McChesney as a second year guy. I know this is his 2nd year at OL, but isn't he the same guy Herm brought in with Big Dave Ball to play DL? That would make him a 4th year guy not 2nd right? Is this the same guy? Thanks

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

im so pumped...