Jaxon Smith-Njigba the best offensive prospect in the draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

JSN is the best offensive prospect in the draft this year. His combination of speed, cutting ability, route running, body control and hands is tailor made for the new NFL.

The game vs Utah in the rose bowl was unreal and possibly the best performance by a WR I’ve ever seen in college. He reminds me of Jamar Chase and is going to be a stud.

If he somehow falls to 13 it’s an absolute no brainer pick in my mind.

IDFjet, Kryoptix, KY Jets Fan and 2 others like this.
  2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He Is by far the best WR In this draft. The injury benefits us In the sense that he Is being extremely overlooked right now by media and fans. He Is an unbelievable WR and your comp with Jamar Chase Is very accurate. Teams will likely take other WR ahead of JSN, which will be a massive mistake. IMO (Quentin Johnston, Jordan Addison)

JSN Is a blue chip talent, elite. He played better than Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson both In 2021, which Is a hard feat, considering the talent both of them have already proven to be In the NFL. JSN Is a big playmaker, dominate inside or outside, explosive, fast, great contested catch radius, good YAC receiver, good deep threat, crisp routes, great hands.. He's the total package. If we had GW and JSN, It would be an absolute nightmare for defenses to defend. It's a very similar situation that Chase was facing coming out of college as well. His final year was an injury down year In college and he probably went later than he should've because of It looking back.

If JSN Is there and we pass on him, I think It would be a massive mistake.

OL depth Is there this year. Take a playmaker, we need more studs on offense.

KY Jets Fan and Rockinz like this.
  3. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

We can sign a tackle in free agency or draft one after the 1st round. I love this kid he was unstoppable at the RoseBowl.

4. Rockinz

I completely agree and consider your opinion on Ohio st players very accurate.

I really only see 2 issues with him. First the hammy injury.. I do think he didn’t want to jeopardize his 1st round grade and quit on Ohio st. Second his break away speed isn’t elite. Otherwise I really love this prospect. His cuts are ridiculous and his body control is phenomenal. I think he makes an instant impact in the NFL.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

I don't. At the end of the year when It no longer mattered. Perhaps. Maybe.

He tried to come back several times throughout the year and honestly didn't look like himself. Hamstring Injuries can be tricky and we've seen this before with many others In the NFL. It happens. CJ Mosley dealt with this issue a couple years ago as well. Came back, didn't look good, and they had to sit him again.

Speed. He's faster than people claim, he may not have 4.2 40 speed but he is plenty fast enough for the NFL. I'm guessing when he recovers he will run In the 4.4 to 4.5 range.

So, yes, In terms of other recent WR coming out. He will likely be a tad slower than Jamar Chase, Garrett Wilson, and Chris Olave for example but It's not slow enough to take him out of the conversation. The kid Is special.

He's another one I'm just super confident In.

6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Yea. This kid is a stud. Love him as a prospect.

It's just so hard to say it's a no-brainer pick with all the OL issues.

KingRoach likes this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It sounds like he's been mostly a slot receiver. Does he project well to the outside or are there reasons he's mostly played inside?

KingRoach likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

In a vacuum, I'd love to get him. But, we have OL issues and we can land a top WR prospect in 2024.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'd be fine with JSN at 13. Obviously we need help on the OL but I'm all for trying to turn our WR room into a strength for whoever we get as our QB next year and going forward.

There are some really solid OL options that could be had on Day 2 as well so it's not like we'd have to totally punt on OL in this year's draft.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. Rockinz

I have no problem with him not running as fast as GW or Chase. His route running, cutting and quickness is so good that separating won’t be a problem.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  11. Rockinz

He can play anywhere but slot is where he will be most effective. He’s a Money down monster. Moving the chains and keeping the offence on the field will be so important next year.

12. Rockinz

Honestly the OL issue is a bit overblown. AVT is coming back, Becton is in a boom or bust year and he looks like he will finally contribute. Brown/Fant will be in the mix.

I think I’d rather spend in FA on the OL than use first/second round draft capital on it. We need play makers on offence to take the pressure of our QB whoever that might be.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

He can play every position. He had Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave on the outside In 21' and he was hurt In 22'.

He had very good WRs who were already established on the outside, only reason he didn't play outside more.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

When you've 'blown' a 7-4 record, lose 6 in a row and a playoff spot because you no longer have any threat of a running attack you may want to rethink that.

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, I'm all for adding elite weapons on offense, the only problem is the OL definitely needs some help and then we have our issues at safety that we probably address in R2. If we can hit FA with a safety + OL, I'm fine with JSN at 13, just a little worried about his size. I feel like we are super small all over the field.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't know if I fully agree with you that our OL issues are overblown. We really only have 1 proven commodity on the OL in AVT. Seems like we'll be stuck with Tomlinson and Brown next year, unless Brown retires, so you at least have guys to fill those positions (LG and LT respectively) but McGovern, Herbig, Feeney, and LDT are all FAs going into this offseason. I imagine they'll try to fill the depth spots out in FA either by bringing in new guys or re-signing some of the names I've already mentioned but adding a guy like Broderick Jones, Paris Johnson, or Peter Skoronski in the 1st this year could go a long way towards improving our OL. However you look at it, we have ?'s at C and RT right now.

However, I'm never going to get too upset at the idea of adding premium skill position talent to this team so I suppose in a sense I do somewhat agree with you. I would love to reunite JSN and GW, those guys could wreck a secondary together for the next decade+.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It seems like there are good WR's in every draft class now. I don't believe we're going to pick high enough in 2024 to get Marvin Harrison Jr, but we could land Troy Franklin, Xavier Worthy, or Jacorey Brooks.

18. IIMeanDeanII

He Is 6'1 and weighs 205lbs. He's not small.

He Is the same height and weight as Ja'Marr Chase. Who I find extremely comparable to, In a lot of ways. A LOT.

Kryoptix likes this.