Jaws: Kellen Clemens = Steal of the draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jabba the Jet, May 13, 2006.

1. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

NY POST

STEAL OF THE DRAFT

JAWS HAD JETS CLEMENS RATED NO. 1 QB

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Ron Jaworski knows quarterbacks. He was a pretty good one in college, carved out a solid NFL career, and takes a lot of pride in his breakdown of QBs in his current role as an ESPN analyst.

Ask him about Kellen Clemens, the Jets' second-round pick out of Oregon, and you might be inclined to jump out of your shoes if you're a Jets fan.

"I watched every game of his college career, every throw he made, and based on game performance I had him rated No. 1 amongst the quarterbacks in this draft," Jaworski said of Clemens in a phone interview with The Post.

"I looked at one game and put my evaluation down and then looked at another and another, and as time went on I was blown away.

"One thing I heard about the guy is that he's only 6-1 5/8. To that my next question was, 'Did you see the guy play?' "

Clemens yesterday was unveiled in a Jets uniform for the first time, wearing No. 6 as the club began its weekend rookie mini-camp at Hofstra.

Asked about his aspirations about being the Jets' starting quarterback, Clemens said, "I'd love to someday, but right now I've got a lot of work to do before I can really go out and contribute the way the Jets need to me to."

Asked to describe himself as a quarterback, Clemens said, "A team leader sort of guy, a competitor. I try not to talk about me too much."

Naysayers are quick to point out that Clemens is only about a half-inch taller than Brooks Bollinger, the third-string QB who became the Jets' starter last year when Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler were lost for the season in Week 3.

"It's not even close between [Clemens] and Bollinger and I don't mean to demean Brooks, because he can be a serviceable backup in this league," Jaworski said. "But Clemens is about 20 pounds heavier than Bollinger, has a much stronger arm, and has really strong legs and can break tackles. He doesn't go down easily."

Clemens was a more prolific passer in college than Bollinger, who was more a threat with his legs than his arm.

"Clemens has a quick release, a strong arm, can make multiple throws, does a great job processing information and finding the open receiver, has the anticipation you need," Jaworski said. "All of those things were there. The one negative I saw was I didn't think he was consistent enough with the deep ball.

"I saw nothing but upside. I had him at No. 1, ahead of [Matt] Leinart, [Jay] Cutler and [Vince] Young and everyone else until I saw the [NFL] Combine tapes and was concerned, because he wasn't healthy. That put up a little red flag."

Clemens, who missed the last several games of the 2005 season with a broken left fibula and wasn't 100 percent at the Combine, said yesterday that he's fine, recovered and ready to go.

"All the intangibles are there," Jaworski said. "I talked to a number of coaches that worked him out and put him to the chalkboard and they were blown away by him. Seven or eight NFL head coaches said, from the neck up, this guy is the best guy in the draft."

NY POST

#1 Jabba the Jet, May 13, 2006
    Last edited: May 13, 2006
  2. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I remember when Kellen was still just a Sophomore at Oregon, I'd picked him and Aaron Rodgers as two players who would be bigtime prospects when they got the chance (and was pissed when they weren't on DB's top Soph QB prospect lists). Anyway, I'm glad they picked him, because while he isn't the most gifted QB in any one specific area, he's well rounded, smart, and is a leader when he's on the field. That's really what the Jets need, especially now with the new management.

As for Jaworski, I'm glad he said that, I'm sure there are others who feel the same way out there (somewhere?), but the only thing that I'm really concerned about is that he's the best fit for the Jets, not necessarily the best QB.

(Note, Chad was like this pre-injuries, but because of his tendency to get hurt is just didn't work out).

3. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

GH, I was thrilled to death with the way it all worked out in RD's 1 and 2

As you well know, I never wanted Leinart or Young ... if we went for a QB in RD 1, I wanted Jay Cutler

And you also know I never liked Croyle or Whitehurst ... but I did like Clemens alot

In fact, in my final 4 RD mock at draftdaddy I only had one QB projected in RD 2 {mid 40's} and it wasn't Brodie Croyle or Charlie Whitehurst ... it was Kellen Clemens

That the Jets were able to trade down in RD 2, secure an additional 2nd RD Pick in 2007, and walk off with Brick, Mangold and Clemens in RD's 1 & 2 ... I was absolutely thrilled

4. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

This is what thrills me the most. It's the kind of thing that we, as draftniks, are just not privy to. Sometimes you can tell whether a player is smart or not, but for the msot part, that's the kind of thing you can only tell in front of the chalkboard. Man, I am so excited. I also just love that he wants to be the leader but acknowledges he's far from being qulified to be one... yet.

Like you, Jabba, I am thrilled. I thought we lost a little focus in rounds 3, 5 and 6, but 1, 2, 4, and 7 were about as good as you could ask for.

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Wow that means alot coming from someone like Jaws. I really did not realise that he had aquired sp much respect. Ironic that he should get the injury which lets him slip to us.

6. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

That's what the smart teams do ... like the Bills when they stole Thurman Thomas, or Willis McGahee ... the shrewed organizations always seem to capitalize on the slippage of a VERY GOOD PLAYER due to injuries, etc ... I am just thrilled to death that the Jets were the ones to take advantage of that situation with Clemens

I've been following the draft for eons and I've seen teams hit homeruns time and time again with exactly this type of shrewed thinking .. taking advantage of the slippage .. so I'm thrilled it WAS US this time around

If Clemens had not broken his ankle, IMO he would have been a 1st RD Pick ... Just look at his numbers before he broke his ankle, they were outstanding!

This cat was completing 64% of his passes with like a 19/4 TD to INT ratio

If you project a full senior season on to his stats, IMO he's a 1st RD lock .. his numbers would have been awesome

#6 Jabba the Jet, May 13, 2006
    Last edited: May 13, 2006
  7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I really didn't know much about Clemmens when we picked him. After we did, and ESPN started showing film on him, I got excited. Then they started talking about him, and I got more excited, so I started really paying attention.

I was a lot like you Jabba. Of the "top 3" QBs, the only one I was interested in was Cutler. I was a Croyle fan myself, and wanted him in round 2. After seeing everything on Clemmens, we walked off with a total steal.

Now seeing his attitude in print makes him even better in my eyes. He is basically saying he is willing to sit quietly and wait for his chance. I'm sure he is pretty confident he will get his chance soon enough. I would be too. Sure, Chad could come back as the next Brees story, but the chances are slim. Ramsey was never more than a stop-gap in the first place, and Bolly isn't a starter in anyone's eyes besides me. The kid knows he has a future, and is playing it right for this staff.

I'm excited about this kid. The future looks bright for us. It will be a couple of years, but the chances at that pretty trophy are looking better and better.

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I've only seen bits and pieces, but he seems to me 10x better than the QB Campbell who was a R1 pick a year ago.

9. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

Am as excited about this kid as the next jet fan which is why we need to be very careful with him. He could very well be a steal but let's see how he does during tc. I for one can't wait till tc starts.

10. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

Campbell is bigger, stronger and can run. I did see alot of his college games and as much as i hate the skins i think he will also be a heck of a pro qb. With that said though am still glad we got clemmens.

11. MANGINI RULES!

MANGINI RULES! New Member

12. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

"All the intangibles are there," Jaworski said. "I talked to a number of coaches that worked him out and put him to the chalkboard and they were blown away by him. Seven or eight NFL head coaches said, from the neck up, this guy is best guy in the draft."
    When you read the above quote from the article, it's amazing that he lasted that long and we got another round 2 pick next year when we traded dow to get him.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I suspected that the Jets draft would look a bit more competent than we're typically used to. I got totally blown away on draft day when the net effect of rounds 1 and 2 was 3 excellent prospects and a 2nd rounder in 2007. That's the kind of draft that New England and Pittsburgh and Denver have year in and out. Which, of course, is why they're always on top.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

http://www.ronjaworski.com/free_jaws_bites.php

Funny, he always said Cutler was the best QB in the draft before and still says it on his website.

15. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

He's only a steel if he pans out and we have to remember that Jaws is just one opinion. Only time will tell on Clemens.

16. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

wierd... he always seemed like more of an iron to me

17. Dirtywater

Dirtywater 2005 Award Winner: Best non-Jets fan poster/Best S

Yeah, I'm not here to rain on the parade, but I'd wait to see how he performs in the NFL before you work yourselves up into a Finheaven frenzy.

He does look good though.

18. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

he said prior to the combine he was his top-rated QB on his board, but since he wasn't 100% healthy at the combine his stock dropped

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

you forgot the picture that went with the article

[​IMG]

20. realisticduck

realisticduck New Member

On Clemens...

Obviously, as a Duck fan, I followed his entire career. And while I love the guy, I'll try not to be a homer.

Here are some things Jets fans might not know about him.

As you're finding out, he's a team guy first. After his injury, he gave up his scholarship so he could join the team as a coach to help Oregon's two younger quarterbacks learn the system quickly. The team won all of the games he helped them get ready for, except the Holiday Bowl to Oklahoma by 3 points.

2. He's tough as nails. His Jr. year he singlehandedly won a game at Washington State for the Ducks. Put the team on his back and refused to lose in brutal weather up in Pullman, Washington.

3. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he'd have broken every Duck passing record there is. No big deal right? Here's who he finished ahead of: Fouts, Van Brocklin, Harrington, Feely, Akili Smith (horrible pro but amazing college qb), and Bob Barry who was the number one pick the year before a guy named...Unitas.

4. He's got quick elusive feet, and broad shoulders. Looks and plays a lot like Jim Kelly in my opinion. Maybe a little quicker with the feet and doesn't throw as good of a deep ball yet.

5. He had three different offensive coordinators during his career and a new one his senior year. Learned three different offenses and thrived in all of them. (That might be the most impressive right there.)

6. In the USC game this year, he completed 9 straight passes against the Trojans D, four against Darnell Bing.

7. His sophomore year, he dislocated a finger on his left hand, played through the pain during the series on the field, and then AFTER the touchdown drive, came over to the sideline and they popped it back in when they found out. Unreal toughness. He's a farm kid..what can you say.

8. He'll take a hit in the pocket and go down with it instead of throwing interceptions. (Again, presence as Jaws said.)

9. He does a great job of ball faking as a result of playing in all those offenses. Oregon even ran the option some this last year because he's so good at handling the ball and making good decisions.

10. Very likable guy. It's team first, then himself.

11. He'll work until he collapses. Huge work ethic and he doesn't blame others when things go wrong.

12. He's a pocket passer first, looks first and then runs when it's there. Not the other way around. He outran USC's linebackers to the sideline for first downs repeatedly in the first half of that game this year until they realized they couldn't catch him from behind and had to take better angles.

13. Good throwing motion. Gary Crowton's the OC at Oregon. Former Bear's OC when they made a run at it a few years back. Cleaned up his delivery a lot already. Some work to do, but the ball's a nice tight spiral.

14. He's played in about as much inclement weather as anyone. Growing up iun Eastern Oregon it's raining about 75% of the year. In Eugene it's nice half the season, and miserable the second half. WSU, Oregon State and UW are brutal away locations as well in October and November. He plays the same in bad weather as good is the point. Unaffected.

The downsides are his height at just right at 6 '2 or a hair under. He throws a decent deep ball but Andy Ludwig never figured out that he was throwing it off half of the wrong leg until just before he left so he's still working that out. Againk, it's good, but not perfect yet by any means. By deep ball, I mean...anything over 25 yards. Throws a great out ball to the sideline, and has terrific touch on the screen passes and quick slants.)

Get yourselves a great tight end. He's a big fan of throwing it late, low, to the tight end to get the first down and move the chains. Used Wrightster and Day during his career to the death almost (They're with the Jags and Bears now.)

Another downside is that injury. He looks fine from all the stuff I saw afterward, and he's tough, but it's still a reality.

So you can see why he moved up so far on the boards. You guys will like him. And if Pennington's healthy enough to play a couple more years, he'll have time to grow into your system and could be a helluva QB for years to come.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets