Jameson Williams

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Some say he was the best WR in this draft before he go injured. And he is expected to be back little after the season starts. Since we are not winning Superbowl this year, do you see any harm playing a gamble and pick him at 10 instead of say Wilson or London?

If he didn't have any injury, what would be the talent difference between him and Wilson/London?

@NCJetsfan - See, this is where we need you.

KY Jets Fan, ouchy, Poeman and 2 others like this.
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

It's no secret he's who I want at 10. I keep pounding that drum. He was the concensus best receiver before injury and was actually mocked to the Jets in the top 10 by CBS in early mocks.
    The plan for him is to be ready (I'm sure limited) for camp and could be available week 1. ACL injuries are not what they used to be especially with the new "internal supports" I keep hearing about. Even if he misses the first 2 weeks how many weeks did Moore, Davis and Berrios miss last year? Can't pass up on him because of the injury IMO, a couple of weeks behind should mean squat when discussing the next 5 to 10 years. He is by far the most Tyreek esque player in this draft and that is clearly a type of player the FO covets.

3. NOVAJET

Again while it would be nice to have that big tall go up and get the contested catch guy as we saw last year the biggest problem our receivers had was separation. Don't need to be 6'4 when you are 3 yards in front of the DB.

4. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

In addition to his downfield and intermediate separation, this guy can really scoot with bubble screens. In short, he's a home run threat every time he touches the ball. But his work downfield is what would create room for Davis and Moore to operate.

5. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I like the pick at #10, I don't see him lasting past the Saints at #16

He's a top 5 talent in this draft. If you have to wait till week 5-6 to get that on the field, so be it. Its like having two top 5 picks

Hamilton at #4 and Williams at #10

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Will copy and paste my Williams thoughts from the WR thread:

Williams is insanely fast. Probably the best pure athlete of the bunch. Great acceleration and top speed. He catches with his body a lot. Doesn't seem like he was asked to run a lot of complex routes as most of his footage is just him running right by guys deep. Concerning that Wilson outperformed him significantly when they played for Ohio State together. Biggest boom or bust WR of the bunch.

I think I wrote that before the ACL injury. Williams is really intriguing to me but has too many question marks to take at 10. ACL injuries aren't career-enders anymore but they're still not great, especially for guys who rely on speed and acceleration while changing direction like Williams does.

I also just keep coming back to the Wilson/Williams Ohio St. thing. Wilson hugely outperformed Williams when they were on the same team at the same age. Wilson was also the #1 WR recruit in the nation coming out of high school - he's been a better prospect his entire life. Williams did have a better year last year but I feel like Wilson is the far safer pick with almost as much upside. Wilson is just such a natural catcher of the ball too, he almost always catches with his hands compared to Williams who often catches with his body. Wilson ran a much higher variety of routes also.

To me it's gotta be Wilson or London at 10.

Noam and Brook! like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If the Jets trade 38 or 69 for Brandin Cooks, I would take Williams at 10 in a heart beat.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Him and Wilson are top class. I love Burks and I think he's gonna be a force. I heard knocks on Olave attitude? Not sure, but I loved watching him and he's super smooth. London already peaked, he's slow.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Williams is my pick of we take a WR at #10. From what I've seen, he's the clearly the best. Nova put it well when he said he's the closest thing to a Tyreek Hill in this class. Remember all those who said Hill was too small to be a good NFL receiver? When you run and be so elusive as that, it doesn't matter how big you are. Williams is a legit game-breaker. Yes, his injury is a slight concern, but he's a 5 year investment, so if we didn't have him for a a few games it's not a deal breaker for me.

I would say that it would make the decision easier if Douglas could land Brandin Cooks. Maybe offer one of the 2nds or 3rds, and possibly Mims?

NYJetsO12 and Jojo like this.
  10. NOVAJET

Cooks and Williams would be a dream. Cooks, Moore, Williams and Davis, yes please. Some may ask well who is that big bodied guy that can body guys out in the EZ and to them I say pick one, Conklin or CJ.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Every WR has question marks. I was a Wilson guy then a Williams guy, Dotson guy and sometimes a lets wait to round 2 guy. Williams is really exciting and electric. He would fit the offense great running the Jet sweep, bubble screens, quick breaking slants and getting YAC. i have read criticism of him having a hard time with press coverage, using his hands, blocking, being physical and might have difficulty working on the outside. But, he would bring a threat and excitement to every play where touches the ball. He has about 12 gears. If you can get him in the 20s and add a second round WR in Dotson, Pierce or someone else that would be pretty ideal.

ouchy and Brook! like this.
  12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

More and more I am leaning to him being the guy we go get at #10 if we are still scrambling to land a home run WR

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Douglas is unable to trade for a true stud WR by draft night, my hope is that he takes Williams. He's the closest to a "sure thing" of all the WRs. No, that doesn't mean will become great, nor does that mean that some other WR taken in the 3rd round couldn't become the next great thing, but the odds favor taking the best WR prospect available, and even with his injury, that's Williams.

Leicester Jet, ouchy, Poeman and 3 others like this.
  15. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

My ONLY issue with Williams, is that Wilson needs him NOW. Coming out of the gate, we need that wr crew to perform. We don't really have that good a wr crew, hopefully Mims pulls through, I think he will, and that will make the difference. Moore is the only sure wr we have.
    A better run game will also buy time.
    Just my opinion.

REVISion likes this.
  16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I really like Williams and I’m a Bama fan. Here’s the thing with him though… He doesn’t run too many routes. He’s purely a deep threat receiver, with top end speed and good hands. He’s not Chase/Jefferson he’s more Desean Jackson in Justin Jefferson’s frame. I wouldn’t take him at 10 but if he starts to fall I can see us jumping in. Also missing training camp is a really big deal.. Look what happened to Mims last year missing camp with a new CS.

I’m taking Treylon Burks over any receiver in this class to me he is by far the best one. He’s not limited in any way with routes, injuries or off the field. He’s just a pure baller that can help Zach and the team the day he’s drafted.

17. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

I'm all on on Burks. I think he's gonna be real good. Basically, what you're saying , is Williams is Basically Mims. If they like Burks, who cares where he's picked

NYJetsO12 and Rockinz like this.
  18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Yes, Williams missing training camp is not good for a receiver that plays very similar game as Mims. Fast, good hands that mostly runs deep passing option plays. On Alabama he was the big play guy but before Metchie got hurt he was the go to guy.

Taking Burks at 10 is not a reach by any standard. Maybe not the highest ceiling but most definitely the highest floor and is built to play in the NFL. I think he immediately helps Zach by giving him a go to guy with easy throws all over the field.

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Taking Williams would be a big mistake. IMO

Was a great special teams contributer for the Buckeyes. Wasn't good enough to get significant playing time over Wilson and Olave.

Transferred, had one year of production under that Bama offense.

Then the injury on top of It all.

I would be extremely disappointed If we took him at #10.

Hard pass.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't get past this. As @Rockinz said too, Williams didn't run many different routes at all. If you watch his film a huge % of his catches were posts or go routes.

It'd be great to have a deep threat like that but I don't think he's a complete receiver at all, and for that reason I think he has decent bust potential (though he'll always at least be a deep threat imo).

Wilson is a MUCH more complete receiver, and pretty damn fast in his own right.

#20 REVISion, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    FJF, Rockinz, Richard Lyman and 2 others like this.