Jalen Carter

Discussion in 'Draft' started by blackssmagic, Mar 2, 2023.

1. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

With everything thats going on/surrounding him due to legal issues. If he begins to slide in the draft, what would be your thoughts on taking him and going with OT in the 2nd?

amuck57 and BrowningNagle like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes. He is an incredible talent, I would love him on this team. I would take him at 13 if by some miracle he is there

amuck57 and James Hasty like this.
  3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Abso fucking lutely

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

No. I want no part of the kid with those decision making skills

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Assuming he avoids manslaughter charges? Just where do we draw the line in excusing the behavior of athletes? Yeah, maybe it was a "moment of weakness", but normal people who do the same thing wind up behind bars for years and have their lives ruined - which is a small price to pay compared to actually losing your life as the other two people in his vehicle did.

I wouldn't take him at any pick.

Jets OG fan and JetFanInNE like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yes. We wouldn't even need outside rushers, this guy and Quinnen would live in the backfield.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That’s more of a societal issue though. Society lets athletes off the hook a bit easier at times.

From a franchises perspective, if the league is going to let him in, why wouldn’t your team want the best player in the draft at a value discount?

The Titans got Jeffrey Simmonds at a discount because he beat some neighbors up in a brawl when he was young and I’m sure they wouldn’t look back.

It’s just a matter of if you interview him and think his reckless behavior will end or not.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Actually, society lets athletes off the hook most of the time, and that's my problem. And last I checked the NFL was part of "society". What I'm saying is that the NFL should not let him off the hook, they should bar him from playing until he serves his time and completes restitution, and thereby not allow ANY teams to loosen their "moral codes" and sign him.

I realize I'm likely in the minority on this in this era of "winning is the ONLY thing" culture, but I have a problem with someone who not only escapes full punishment for their crime - especially when it involves the death of others - and on top of that gets rich. There's something fucked up about out values if that's okay.

9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

“Other two people in his vehicle”

You’re entitled to your opinion, but you’re not entitled to your own facts.

I think the big question is, does he grow as a person from this experience or does he get more emboldened? This incident may cost him $15- $20mm… if that’s not a slap in the face I don’t know what is.

Cman68 likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

My mistake, I was going off the original report that said it was a one vehicle incident, but in any case, does this mitigate his crime? Not in my opinion.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We go back to the fact that it’s a bit more of a societal issue than an NFL or franchise issue. And honestly, this rings true through a lot of professions where people are high performers, not just the NFL.

But the high powered multimillion dollar advertising executive who gets busted for having coke on him, can probably find another high paying job if they can produce. You just don’t read about it in the news.

12. ColoradoContrails

I have the same issue with anyone who escapes justice because of wealth, influence, power, or other reasons of "exceptionalness". I'm not going to spend a lot of time arguing for his conviction and imprisonment, and if the Jets draft him I'm not going to threaten to stop rooting for them, but I'm just expressing my opinion about it, which is I would hope the Jets don't draft him.

13. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Hell no. Joe Douglas prefers character guys, not immature imbeciles that get their teammates killed for thrills. I don't think JD will even consider it and I wouldn't either if I was Jets front office.

ColoradoContrails and JetFanInNE like this.
  14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I don't see how he could be charged with manslaughter. He wasn't in the vehicle that crashed. He was allegedly racing them. He also left the scene of the accident, assuming he wasnt so far ahead that he didn't realized the other car wrecked. But I don't see any manslaughter charges coming.

Ralebird and NY Jets68 like this.
  15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Involuntary manslaughter is defined in Georgia law as the following:

A person commits the offense of involuntary manslaughter in the commission of an unlawful act when he causes the death of another human being without any intention to do so:
    1. By the commission of an unlawful act other than a felony; or
    2. By the commission of a lawful act in an unlawful manner likely to cause death or great bodily harm
    It seems to me that the first definition could be applied if the prosecutors wanted to purse it. This is precisely what happened four months ago in North Carolina.

In 2018 in Florida, a mother and 1-year-old child were killed by a car in a street race. The driver who killed her pleaded guilty to vehicular homicide and got a 24-year prison sentence, but the other driver, who didn't directly cause the deaths, also pleaded guilty to vehicular homicide, and got a 6-year sentence.

In other words, there is definitely precedent for this to become a homicide case if the district attorney wants to pursue it. The fact that the people killed were also involved in the race could certainly affect the verdict and sentencing, of course; the case in North Carolina is pretty much that same kind of situation, so it would provide an interesting parallel to this case.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

This doesn't seem like an organized street race. And the vehicle Carter was driving is so much quicker and faster than a Ford Expedition that I'd have a hard time calling it a race. The 0-60 time for the Jeep Trackhawk is 3.5 seconds. The Expedition gets there in 6.2 seconds. I think his attorney could make a very good case that they weren't racing (unless he already confessed to it.)

Also, the driver of the vehicle that crashed had a blood alcohol content of .197. That's fucking hammered. How they could pin this on Carter is beyond me. Lecroy (the driver) was responsible as far as I'm concerned.

Nail Carter for wreckless driving and leaving the scene of an accident. Because that's all he did.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He was driving fast, come on now. I doubt he even falls in the draft

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

NFL stands for National Felon League.

He's still going 1st. Get real. Sports media just needed some more headline grabbing fodder leading up to FA and the draft.

19. KingRoach

There were already character issues with JC. Just like Tunsil dropped in the draft all the way to 13, I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened again.

20. KingRoach

Mitigate? It completely changed it.