It's a new decade. A look back at the lost decade of NY Sports or 2nd place a set of steak knives

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Biggs, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Since were wrapping up a decade I thought I would share this NY Times essay. Pretty much sums it up. You can read the entire piece on the link. A small sample.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/30/sports/new-york-decade-sports.html

Growing up in the New York metropolitan area, you are indoctrinated in the belief that this city is the biggest, the best, the greatest: Look, ma, I’m the capital of the world! We are the ultimate closers, you are taught, embracing the winners-and-losers philosophy espoused in “Glengarry Glen Ross,” David Mamet’s play about real estate sales.

First place: a Cadillac Eldorado.

Second place: a set of steak knives.

When we deign to participate in silly competitions with other cities — over the best museums, the best pizza, the best organized crime — we do so with an eye roll so exaggerated that it can unite this divided country in a shared loathing of New York. You could say our condescension is a patriotic act.

But throughout the decade about to close, smaller American cities have been able to wipe the smirk from New York’s collective countenance by bringing up one subject. It is the Goliath-toppling stone in David’s arsenal:

Sports.

“How nice it must be to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art anytime you want,” Kansas City, Mo., might say. “By the way, how are those Mets?”

“That ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ play on Broadway is supposed to be wonderful,” Boston might say. “Speaking of which, what’s up with your Jets?”

Knicks still in the N.B.A.?”

Br4d and Brook! like this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Bah. Not my fault all forty major pro sports teams in the metro area all suck balls.

Get back to me when you can find a decent bagel in the desert.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

But the Nets moved to Brooklyn and they don't blow chunks at the moment! That has to mean something...

Mebbe the Wilpons will sell the Mets early and the new owners will move them to a Ebbets Field theme park? Man. that would rock. I would so be a hardline Brooklyn Mets fan again instead of the guy who watches the Mets for a month every year and then starts mowing the lawn instead.