It is time to name Gregg Williams interim head coach and promote Jim Bob Cooter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by footballfundamentals, Nov 3, 2019.

1. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Firstly, it is obvious to me that Gregg should have been retained as head coach of the Browns, as Kitchens has been a disaster.
    Jim Bob (I love writing or saying that) worked with Stafford with some success.

Its obvious that Gase is in over his head. We can name all of the reasons why, but I will list a few:

Sams regression
    In game adjustments (or lack thereof)
    Offensive play calling/lack of creativity

Adams refusal to talk to Gase-maybe there is something to that...

But one of the most glaring things to me today was Gase sitting alone on the bench looking at his plays. That was not a good look. It appears that there is not much respect for him by his players. And he just disappears and seems to isolate himself during the game or even in his press conferences.

2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I agree. He’s not a HC. He sits on the sideline drawing up plays and just leaves the DC to coach the d? It’s a disaster. He sucks at calling plays too and hasn’t improved Sam while delegating the d and player development to someone else.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

4. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

5. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I am not loving Williams defense either. The dolphins had their best offense showing of the season against them. Jacksonville scored plenty last week and looked like crap today. Williams would just hold the position till end of season and you are forcing Sam to learn a new system mid season and then a new system after the season or 4 ocs in 3 yrs

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Better doing this than letting him play with Gase.

7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I would very much doubt that there would be a new system installed midseason if Cooter were to take over the offense. He's been coaching Gase's offense to his position group all season, so he'd be looking to just continue using that while at times tweaking things that need to be tweaked here and there. There might be some installation along he way of some of his own ideas, but most likely they would be installed using Gase's terminology or something similar to it. Worrying about Darnold adjusting to this is not a reason to retain Gase through to the end of the season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I want Gase gone, but firing him now makes no difference to this season and the outcome. This is an absolutely dreadful team that was poorly constructed.

Coaching is a major issue, but making an in season change will have no impact on this team this season.

Having said all of this, I won’t shed a tear to see Gase get canned early if they decide to do it.

what a train wreck this has been...

9. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Our defense sucks because we have no edge rushers. We draft a million run stuffers ahahahah

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like Sam has learned any system...

Bellys Lies likes this.