Isn't picking a receiver in round 1 a virtual certainty?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFighter, Mar 3, 2009.

1. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

-We just signed Leonard. Him combined with Shepard means we don't have to think secondary at all, or perhaps day two of the draft.
    -We got a monster linebacker in Scott.
    -We kept our O-Line intact by re-signing Moore.
    -We appear to be looking at various free agent options for a blocking tight end to complement Keller
    -Given that we lost a starting receiver in Coles and the huge round 1 depth at receiver this year, isn't it at least 80% likely we'll be picking receiver in round one? The only other think I could see is Defensive End but that's to me more likely in round two...

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Either we take a WR or we wait for one to drop and then trade down. While they aren't positions of need, Faneca is 32, Woody is 31, Ellis is 31, Coleman is 30, and Sheppard could be one and done with is contract so CB, DE, or OL could wind up being our first round picks. Once you hit the bottom of the draft there are at least 5 teams (Chicago, Philadelphia, Minnesota, The Giants, and Tennessee) that could use a #1 WR and depending on who falls could garner us another 3rd or possibly 2nd round pick.

Factor in the fact that we want to run the ball a lot more, Jones is 30, and Leon is the only other viable option at HB and we could conceivably look at HB as well in the first round if not the second.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

either WR or QB.. this team is just so set for a kid to come in a be surrounded with good talent... but I don't like the potential on our roster... I want a rookie coach/QB combo like last year..

its my dream

4. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

DE or WR is where I am putting my money.

5. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Hakeem Nicks rd. 1
    Jarron Gilbert Rd.2

6. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

God I hope not. A WR is useless without a QB that can throw the ball to him.

QB is the first and foremost need for this team. Period.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well it will either be a WR, QB or RB..most likely...lol. I seriously doubt it will be defense. Unless we trade down and pick up an extra pick then anything is possible.

8. 624

624 Banned

It's gotto be DE or WR if no one slides to make it BPA.

9. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

it seems more likley, I would hope the Jets try and trade down because I dont know if there are any WR that are warented that high, unless of course Crabtree is there

10. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Id rather get a rb, but i still think we should draft wr. A wr is worthless without a qb like Randy Moss in Oakland, but i would still like us to draft one high too provide the qb, whoever it is another target. Cotch is #2 and we have a whole bunch of #3's but we need a number 1 right now Nicks will be the only #1 available so we probably will pick him hopefully its not at #17 though cause we can still trade down a little.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I still think we'll sign a veteran receiver, but no one available is a #1 receiver...there are still some decent WRs out there:

Marvin Harrison, DJ Hackett, Drew Bennett, Amani Toomer, Darrell Jackson, and Marty Booker

Right now, we just need proven players at the position --

This team only has one proven wideout and that's Jerricho Cotchery.

Brad Smith isn't a #2.

David Clowney is a burner, but he's still unproven.

Chansi Stuckey is strictly a slot receiver.

If no one is signed, I can see the Jets drafting not one, but two receivers in this draft.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

13. ReservoirDog76

ReservoirDog76 New Member

Trade down to like 25 and jump ahead of the Eagles and Giants, grab Britt while picking up some picks.

14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Ditto that. And if Gilbert isn't around, I would consider an offensive lineman there.

15. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

tyson jackson anyone?

16. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

That would be ideal in my eyes, barring a trade down.

17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

He used to be one of top choices at 17, but upon further review he really seems like a similar player to Kenyon Coleman and may not end up being a huge upgrade...

18. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

If the right RB is there, that is also possible. Leon going into a contract year, TJ making contract noise at the age of 31 coming off a career year. We don't have a third runner right now. I know its not popular, but a case can be made. Remember that Mangini wanted McFadden. The better the running game, the less pressure on the QB, and Rex has already stated he wants to run the shit out of the ball. I think we'll take one in this draft in the first 4 rounds. I guess it depends on how much they like the player that is available. I bet he loves McCoy.

19. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

Definitely not in this Draft.

THEY ALL SUCK. fuck that. just because they are there doesn't mean we have to take them. we pass and take the BAP DEFENSIVELY or a WR.

We have the O-Line, I personally want a OT, to replace Woody. Fuck Woody, he sucks. 6.5 sacks, and he has the ill contract. Restructure Woody's contract or threaten to blackball him from the NFL. Woody is versatile and can play every spot on the line, but he is not the answer at RT.

I like the idea of Nicks and Jarron Gilbert, or we can trade down for more picks, go to Pick 30-32 and Pick up a 1st and a potential 2nd. It can be done.

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Coles left Cincy without a deal..........so it's possible he could return to New York. This shouldn't effect the Jet's "Long Term"draft plans...cause they still need another WR.

The Jets will take the BAP at #17.......concentrating on DE, WR, QB(Sanchez) and a possible RB. Sean Smith could be a wild card in rd 1 for the Jet's too. Even though our secondary looks solid, more help is needed, Smith's flexibility would be welcomed.

#20 WW85, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009