Is this year the year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Aug 31, 2016.

1. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

That we FINALLY end up with a better record the New England? Normally I wouldn't even ask the question but with Brady Out for 4 games, Dion Lewis out for 6 and and a Key Offensive Lineman out for 6 weeks as well, you gotta wonder, if not now when?

#1 cbman13, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You said it ...

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

If not now win then must future lose?

Brandon Moore's Butt likes this.
  4. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

3 of those 4 games are at home including 2 divisional games. The opening game against Arizona is their toughest of the 4 games, and likely a loss. We have no idea what to expect from Houston or Buffalo but both teams have strong defenses which could cause issues for an inexperienced QB. I suspect the Miami game will be a win for them. Lewis is out but Blount is a beast when motivated, time will tell if he's motivated.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah. No reason the Jets can't win the AFC East and no reason that it should not be the goal or expectation.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd rather beat them in playoffs again then finish with higher record.
    that's more important..

Burnz likes this.
  7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

P@ts are 10-3 at home in the last 10 years in the playoffs and 1-3 on the road. Home field in the playoffs is big so win the division and better chance of a win in the playoffs. Though I still think a lot of help is needed to unseat them for the division.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't understand this post. No one said they would prefer to win the division and then lose to the Patriots in the playoffs. Yes that January 2011 game was great, one of my favorites, but you want the division title and home field preferably. The last Jets home playoff game was in 2002 though. Some Jets fans might not realize that is actually a possibility. Haha.

Vida and HardHitta like this.
  9. DrM

DrM Member

High Hopes, low expectations......

ajax, Brook!, NoodleArm and 3 others like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

While I do believe last year was a bit of a mirage.. I do find it completely nutz that the Jets are coming off a 10-6 season, the Patriots are without Brady for the first 4 weeks and everyone, I mean everyone, STILL thinks NE will win the division.

If there is a time to get it done, its right now

Brook! likes this.
  11. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

That year *should* have been 2008. I'm annoyed to this day by what happened.

jxc and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  12. BacktoQueens

winning a division doesn't mean shit compared to winning playoff games.
    a home game would be great, but again, the important thing is actually winning the game, whether home or away.

Yes, and we were one of the teams who beat them at home.
    I think we can do it again, and the odds of beating them at home again are probably better than us finishing first in the regular season, as too many other teams struggle against Belichick (and the Foxboro cheating machine), in the regular season..
    If we get the home game, great. But the priority needs to be finishing better than the P*ts in the postseason.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think it should be abundantly clear to Jets fans, perhaps more than any other fanbase, just how important it is to win your division. If you don't win your division you have to win 3 straight road games against division winners to get to the bowl. It's tough to win 3 straight road games in the regular season even against teams low in the standings. Win your division and you got 2 at most road games in a row and as low as 0.

Considering this organization had the stuff to win 2 straight road games in the playoffs in back to back years and NO hardware to show for it, there lies the lesson. Win your damn division and maybe those 2 years bring Super Bowl appearances...

legler82 likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

unless you earn a bye week, winning the division gets you only 1 home game.
    so it's not like that's a gilded path to the Super Bowl.

if you want to talk about earning an easier path, than you really need that bye week, and we aren't going to be a top 2 AFC team this year.

would i rather the home game tho? of course..
    but that is all a 'divison title' means.....and then you have to win that game which is what really matters. that's my only point.

15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This is the most confident I've been about both the offense and the defense since 2010, but I'm not sure how much that means considering the teams we've been trotting out there. I'm not too concerned with the schedule, the way I see it is that good teams beat other good teams while bad teams use their schedule as an excuse. I think we win 10 games again.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

no, not this year..not even close.

17. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Optimistic ehh?

18. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

They will go 2-2 during the span, beating the texans and the crap fish.

Its a shame because I see us with the same record, beating the bills and the chiefs.

Knickyankeefan likes this.
  19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

The life of a New York Jets Fan

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

AFC teams the Jets are facing that have realistic playoff expectations, excluding the East:

Week 1: Bengals
    Week 3: Chiefs
    Week 5: Steelers
    Week 13: Colts (meh)

Outside of the AFC East games, these four (3) games are the most important games on the schedule from the standpoint of competing for a playoff spot.

The moral of the story is, we'll know very quickly just how competitive this team is. When you consider that Buffalo is week 2, by week 5 we'll have passed the second most important stretch of schedule (most important is week 15-17 MIA, @NE, BUF)

By the end of week 5, we'll either be excited about true competitive potential, or already looking towards the draft. The beginning of this season is HUGE.

Martin&theJETS likes this.