Is there any doubt that IVORY should be the feature back?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedGreen89, Aug 23, 2014.

1. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

And I'm not just sayin this cuz I took him late in my fantasy draft...the dude is like a poor man's Marshawn Lynch. He runs harder, breaks tackles, has a bruising style to wear defenses down. IMO a much better option to give the most carries to than a flea like CJ

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This team has 2 feature backs

Jonathan_Vilma and Br4d like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If Rex and MM handle this correctly and there are no injuries, there will be no feature back.

Br4d likes this.
  4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Both are really good. CJ is a game breaker and Ivory runs like a derailed train with no regard for whatever is in the way. teams need to figure out a way to contain them without selling out.

Brook!, Br4d and Turbocharged23 like this.
  5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

If the kid can stay healthy he'll be a total beast.
    One of my favorite current Jets.

Br4d likes this.
  6. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

lets not get wrapped up in tittles, their carries we will be just about even every week with bilal getting his fair amount of touches

chris5533 and Br4d like this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

cj look electric out there yesterday. i love the fact that there is a legit home run threat.i like what ivory does but johnson is the threat that will open things up for the entire offense

deeznuts21, freemantoon and Br4d like this.
  8. JetsfaninLA

JetsfaninLA New Member

CJ's take on the situation: “Yeah, we got a couple backs here, but once the games start….” Johnson said. “Get a couple carries. If it goes good or if it don’t go good, that doesn’t mean that you’re not going to be in the game no more. You’re still going to be in the game throughout the whole game… It’ll work (itself) out.” Great quote!

Footballgod214, Br4d and 74 like this.
  9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think we have enough flexibility where we can feature either Ivory or Johnson in a game depending on team/matchup. The ideal scenario would be to keep both fresh by cycling them throughout a game and letting Powell get some snaps. Come end of the season, with hopefully the Jets in a playoff race, they will have their 3 backs fresh and be ready to go when called upon

Br4d likes this.
  10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

CJ had a couple CJ2K moments last night. Him and Ivory complement each other well.

Br4d likes this.
  11. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

I know it's just the preseason, but man, i saw a lot of 8 man boxes. That is GREAT for our offense.

Br4d likes this.
  12. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

This. Why do we have to have a feature back? There'll be plenty of carries for both. I think CJ could easily get 1000-1200 total yards (rushing/receiving) with a handful of TD's and Ivory could get 800 (mostly rushing) with a bunch of TD's. They can even run Powell in blowouts or if/when Ivory gets hurt.

Thing about Ivory being the feature back, he gets hurt a lot. I don't want him to be THE guy...keep his use down and you can have him around longer and he'll be more useful in the long run.

freemantoon and Br4d like this.
  13. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Barring injuries, this could be an even better version of LT, Shonn Greene and Leon with CJ, Ivory and Bilal...

NY Jets68, freemantoon and Br4d like this.
  14. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

ya his name is Chris Johnson, Ivory and Johnson are the double edged sword for the Jets

Br4d likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's definitely better as long as Ivory stays healthy. CJ is an iron man at this point, not missing a start in the last 5 years and only 1 in his career. For perspective on this Curtis Martin was one of the toughest high durability backs in NFL history and his longest string of seasons without missing a game was 6.

16. Jets have stated their philosophy w/ the RBs "Ride the hot hand".

This is the correct path. Rbs tend to be hot/cold depending on quickness to the hole which can be sporadic.Keep these guys competitive,fresh & at optimum level by mixing & matching for the best production

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I need to get a "What About Powell?" Shirt made up

Monty_Droppings likes this.
  18. Monty_Droppings

Monty_Droppings Active Member

[​IMG]

How does this design look?

19. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

Yes there are major doubts as to whether Ivory should be the feature back. Ivory has yet to prove he can stay healthy receiving #1RB carries. He is solid at grinding to get the consistent 3-5 yards but is below average when reaching the second level. Most of all he is a garbage receiver which has become a more important part of being a RB as the years have gone by.

The Jets shouldn't have a feature running back. They should ride the hot hand as they've stated but more importantly they should play the match-ups accordingly. There will be teams that have trouble pursuing the edges of the field where CJ should be featured and some with weak defensive lines where Ivory should be used. Claiming one to be the "feature back" is silly and doesn't occur in the NFL nowadays unless you have guys like AP, Mccoy or Forte. Ivory and CJ aren't near their level.

In response to Powell, I've been a big defender of him and feel like he's good at each aspect of a being a RB but with what he's shown he should never start on this team which sucks to say. Beyond physical limitations (breakaway speed, size etc.) he hasn't shown good awareness as a RB. Ive seen him reach the second level multiple times and yet rarely takes the correct path to attack the defense. This was very evident in the Giants game.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It's a perfect combo. Johnson is fast and can catch, while Ivory is the bruiser. Ivory is a beast, but his style makes him susceptible to injury. I'd like to see Johnson get slightly more carries. This is like having LT and Greene again except Ivory > Greene by a good amount and Johnson is younger than LT and won't tire out late in the season.

#20 Barcs, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014