Is the season really over?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Sep 19, 2019.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I know we're reeling right now with the absolute catastrophe that has been the last 2 weeks.

BUT...

If Sam indeed does come back after the bye, is 0 - 3 really a show stopper for the season? Not saying the chances are huge, but the schedule really does start to open up, and this team could go on a tear for a bit.

The Colts started 1 - 5 last year and made the playoffs.

And we'd all agree coming out of the bye, Mosley, Quinnen and Sam back is a whole different convo than we're having now.

I'm JUUUUSSSST sayin.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's true. I have been saying that. We need to see how the Jets look against the Eagles though if Sam is really back. That will tell us a lot about this 2019 Jets team. Winning is tough in the NFL though. Starting (0-3), even if you go on a decent run, you probably will only go (7-6) or (8-5), maybe (9-4) at best in those games. So it will be tough to make the playoffs, but it is NOT over yet.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Of course the season is not over LOL

I have been here for a number of years but I have never seen the shit I have witnessed on this board over the last couple weeks.

Sam Darnold is the key to this franchise. I truly believe that. When he is healthy, the offense opens up completely. A guy who can make adjustments at the line of scrimmage, who is much smarter with the football, and who is incredibly accurate on the run.

Not to mention Le'Veon Bell in the backfield and a ready to go Chris Herndon.

Get through the bye and get Sam healthy. This season is far from over. We may be 0-3, but there is plenty of time to turn things around with Darnold at the helm.

It would make for one hell of a year for him, that's for damn sure!

4. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Depends on what you consider "over" to be. Most here seem to have expected a playoff season, and already feel betrayed. Admittedly, a few weeks ago i thought the playoffs were a realistic goal. I found out all too fast that I overlooked how thin this roster was. I knew we had some significant holes, but didn't comprehend how quickly injuries could make those much worse. One aspect that I know everyone realizes but isn't talked about much are the two suspensions. Losing Herndon and Copleland hurt, given what I just mentioned. So many are gutted over Monday's loss, but what would the betting line have been had we known Luke Falk would be the QB? We were supposed to win that game? Compare the players of both teams. Geez.

No, the season is not over. It's certainly possible Sam returns and later in the season really impresses us as we had expected. Our O-Line almost has to improve. Herndon will make a difference. I sure wish Quincy hadn't gotten hurt, be we can still find a way to get on a roll before this ends. We haven't even seen Quinnen Williams make a tackle yet. Mosely played better against Buffalo than any of us expected. We need him back at 100%. This really SUCKS right now, but it ain't over.

#4 LogeSection2RowJ, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Brook! and FJF like this.
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The schedule gets significantly easier after the 2nd Patriots game. If healthy, the Jets could easily rattle off 5-6 games in a row during that stretch. I'm not saying they will, but saying the season over because of some early season injuries and losses is just a bunch of emotional nonsense.

I never expected the Jets to make the playoffs this year, but take a big step forward and that could very well still happen. Remember what happened with Sam last year after coming back? He lit the world on fire. Hopefully we see the same trend after having a few weeks to fully digest the playbook.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

No the season is not over. This year has always been about having Sam progress as a QB and making progress so we can compete in 2020. With the ridiculous starting schedule I don't think there ever was a realistic possibility of playoffs this year. Sam getting hurt certainly puts a damper on things but we have a long ways to go. The defense is playing much better than expected and L. Bell is really really amazing. The big disappointment is Kalil and the OL but they should get better. The OL certainly cannot get worse. The team is looking better than expected. These first 7 games will be rough but optimism should come back over the second half of the season.

The first 7 games are an opportunity for the team to either show some character and come together or to totally implode. It is an opportunity for Gase to grow as a coach and as a person or also totally implode. This 7 game stretch of adversity coupled with media scrutiny and a likely fan meltdown will be a real test of evryones character. If the team can stay together and keep playing hard it bodes well for the future.

#6 Noam, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

It's not over, but let's admit one thing: Jets fans sure got bitch-slapped to start this season. I mean, DAMN. At least you can return from Mono. Quincy wishes he had Mono.

Noam likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Hell no it’s not over.
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Seriously, it’s not over at all. Anyone who thinks it is wasn’t expecting much from the season anyway. Sam is going to be back in a game or 2 and the schedule has gotten easier with Ben done, Eli done, foles done. There is still plenty of schedule left to get back in the mix and make some positives to take into gase/Douglas year 2

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Hell no it's not over!!!!!!!

There's 14 games left. Lol

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

yes, I would say the season is over in terms of it being likely to have a positive outcome - best we can hope for is Darnold comes back healthy and puts in some good performances

Peebag likes this.
  12. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

It was over before it began. People who thought that this was a playoff team were horribly optimistic about the state of this team
    O-line is horrible, outside of Leveon no playmakers, CBs who wouldn't be on any other teams roster.
    It's going to take time.

AJW, Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. It's not just about making the playoffs, however. Much more important than making the playoffs is seeing if Sam continues to develop and proves that he is indeed a FQB, is determining if Gase is the right man to be the HC of the Jets going forward, to develop young players like Cashman, and to determine who can help this team going forward. With Douglas not having a draft and FA period yet and with so many FAs next offseason he needs to find out who is worthy of keeping and who needs to go. Backing into the playoffs could make him think the team is better than it actually is. I never thought the Jets would make the playoffs this year, and I still don't. Further, I don't care. It would be gravy if they outperform my expectation, but I won't be upset or depressed if they don't. I just want them to make the right decisions regarding personnel and build this team the right way, so that going forward we can have a team that is a perennial contender, not a one-year flash in the pan.

AJW and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I think I predicted a 6-10 season so for me this was never about playoffs and all about seeing Darnold develop, seeing what Quinnen could do as a rookie and the team improve (and wanting to see what Bell would bring) - for me its been a wreck due to injuries

Peebag and AJW like this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Some expected 10 wins period :rolleyes:

Although admittedly that is still possible :D

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No...not till the Fat Lady sings

18. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

I mean if we are going to be optimists. Why are we assuming we will be 0-3?

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Noam likes this.
  20. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Waiting Since 68 and jonnyd like this.