is Jonathan Vilma a TRUE Middle Linebacker?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Blitz4Life, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Blitz4Life

Blitz4Life Active Member

I was watching an NFL Films presentation on the great middle linebackers of past and present and how they are the key to any defense because of there physical dominance on the football field. They jack up ball carriers and dominate both sides of line of scrimmage. Vilma is obviously a leader and has the speed but when a guard or center put a block on him he seems to struggle with getting off the block and making the tackle. Do you think he will ever become one of those Ray Lewis type of linebackers? Basically do you guys think that Vilma will ever become one of those Middle Linebackers that can not only make tackles but also dominate the line of scrimmage?

#1 Blitz4Life, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  2. craignyj

craignyj New Member

I think he would be the next Ray Lewis,Just needs that Dominance

3. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

huh? where does one find this dominance? can it be purchased? practiced? prayed for?

4. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Everything takes time, vilma is a good to great MLB, and will be just great with time, there are a good amount of MLB's in the NFL that are the same size as vilma.

He will be a dominant MLB maybe this year coming or next.

5. JAMESDEARTH

JAMESDEARTH Member

I don't know if Vilma is your classic MLB, in the sense that he's not a ferocious hitter or a guy that necessarily intimidates the offense. He's just a speedy guy and a sure tackler. He'll quietly rack up 13 tackles in a game without making that jarring hit. I think he has great awareness though, and seems to have at least somewhat of a nose for the ball. I cant say I've ever seen him do something stupid either, so thats a major plus..he's a smart player with instincts.

Then of course there's the fact that since he's from The U he automatically receivers twice as much attention and respect from fans/writers. I think most of it is deserved though.

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He'll never dominate the line of scrimmage because he's too small. That does not mean he cannot have a Hall of Fame career.

I do not agree that middle linebackers are the key to any defense. I think there are a number of scouts who feel DEs and OLBs are more important than middle linebackers- at least in this day and age.

I think the 4th quarter pass rush is the key to today's NFL defenses. You're not gettin' that from middle linebackers.

7. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Cakes...good post...what a middle linebacker, typically, brings to the table other than physical talents is the ability to call the defense and make on the fly adjustments. This is an area Vilma excells. The kid was calling defenses his rookie year and will only get better with time. While Ray Lewis was a big hitter from time to time...it was his ability to run the defense that enabled the Ravens to take the next step. Vilma, I have no doubt, will also transform. Also, remember, as the kid gets older he will get bigger for sure. Add a little size to that speed and the big hits will come. Personally, I am just as big a fan as the sure fire wrap up tackle as I am of the big hit. Yeah...you get a few "oh's and ahh's" out of the big hit but the result is just the same...no yards!

Peace!

The Mezz

8. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Hes exactly like Ray Lewis, undersized and fast. Neither is in the mold of the classic bruiser MLB, but that player is by and large a thing of the past(think Marvin Jones). If Ray Lewis or Jonathan Vilma get an offensive lineman on them, theyre usually going to be pretty much out of the play. Get some big guys in front of them to keep blocks off and let them run to the ball, and they get the job done. Both are good hitters, but neither has the size to get off blocks real well.

9. Coach K

Coach K New Member

vilma can lay a hit, but just because you dont see him light people up alot doesnt mean hes not a TRUE middle linebacker.........well even if he isnt hes the NEW middle linebacker........covers the whole field and digest plays well enough to be there when it counts. he isnt the best at taking on OL in traffic, but at times can dominate like a madman on a blitz.

have it your way you can have a highlight reel of hits or you can have a player who finds his way to the play every snap

10. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

Why does everyone think all MLB's are huge?

Jack Lambert 6'4" 220
    Dick Butkus 6'3" 245
    Mike Singletary 6'0" 230
    Ray Lewis 6'1" 245
    Jonathan Vlima 6'1" 230
    Brian Urlacher 6'4" 258 (no questuion this guy is a freak of nature)

Vilma is young and still growing. The guy sure fits the mold of a true MLB imo. He's fast, quick to the hole, hits like a mofo, and plays every down. Not to mention the guy was all over the field during the pro-bowl. Give him a stud DT and he would be even better, and the guy is already a pro-bowler.

11. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Vilma is one of the best 5 MLB in the game today, so yeah, he is a real MLB.

12. GreenMachine

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

14. baamf

baamf Active Member

I agree with the point of your post, but JV was lucky to be 220 last year soaking wet, with his pads on. It will be interesting to see how he comes to camp this year...

15. Coach K

Coach K New Member

yea, If Mangini is so true about getting involved with the core players I'm sure they'll have him hitting the weights hard

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Still growing at 24 years of age? He must have super genes which surely have not reflected yet on the FB field

17. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

not in height, but in weight...tons of players add weight in their 1st few years.

18. GreenMachine

Is there anyone on the team you like???

19. jaywade

jaywade Active Member

Great points, Mike singletary could be the best MLB ever and he was the smallest, Ray lewis was the exact same size as Vilma when he came out of college. Vilma will be a great MLB, maybe the best in Jets history.

20. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

But Singletary had those crazy eyes.... [​IMG]