Is it safe to travel to London?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by FinnishJET, Jul 15, 2020.

1. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

I have my summer vacation coming next month and I was wondering now that the world, at least Europe, is opening up after the Covid pandemic is releasing its grip, is travel to England and London in particular safe? Are the restaurants and the like open, do people need to wear a facemask and are there many restrictions for tourists? Or is traveling there from abroad completely out of the question? The flights and hotels are unsurprisingly a lot cheaper than they normally would be which makes traveling now somewhat more tempting.
    Can the forum's British contingency help a Finn out? @donkey @K'OB @ukjetsfan @Leicester Jet @ConcordeChops

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Finland is part of the UK air bridge so you can travel and you don’t need to quarantine when you get here. The government are starting to ramp up the use of facemasks so you’ll need one if you are shopping but they have stopped short of enforcing them in offices and other inside spaces (this may change). Masks are needed on public transport.

There’s no problem in visiting but just be aware of the measures in place that may make your stay less pleasurable than normal. For example, is your hotel serving breakfast or are they offering poor grab n’ go breakfast bags? Restaurants are social distancing so only running at half-capacity so you may struggle getting a booking and a lot of the arts/entertainment venues are still either closed or just getting back to normal.

My advice would be to try and secure your itinerary first and then book flights and accommodation once you know you can do what you want to do. There’s an awful lot of COVID-19 cost cutting going on so do check first.

Brook! and FinnishJET like this.
  4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

From what I'm reading, if you plan on going to the UK from the US, you'll face a mandatory quarantine for 14 days.

Europe is relaxing travel standards, just not people from the US because we refuse to get a handle on the situation.

5. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I live 100 miles away and was booked to go at the end of July. Decided not to. I don't fancy the tube right now. It's all about risk and reward, and for me the risk out weighs the reward. Our government have been appallingly bad, and I have no wish to join Johnson's Kill the Plebs strategy.

If you do come, follow the WHO advice, rather than our government's advice. Stay safe, my Suomi friend.

Brook!, Leicester Jet and FinnishJET like this.
  6. FinnishJET

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen, much appreciated.
    I'm starting to lean towards not travelling abroad at all this year. It is too much of a hassle and stressful to be constantly thinking about what's allowed or prohibited, not to mention the health risks that comes along with it. It probably is better to just wait this Covid shit out and try again next year.
    Too bad though, as I mentioned it would've been so much cheaper...

Brook! and donkey like this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I wouldn't if I were you.

[​IMG]

These are some of the idiots that travelled miles to cram onto a fucking piece of sand because it was sunny.

Arseholes.

You will be mingling with these people in the pubs and restaurants, on the tube etc.

I might be biased as I am a Northern Monkey and hate London anyway.

8. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm very much with Donkey on this and personally I wouldn't take my family to London at the moment, far to crowded. Plenty of great places outside London with less crowds and I'm sure you would be made welcome as they need the revenue after the year they have had to date. The Government has just cut VAT from 20% to 5% on hosplitality and its cheap meals in August on Mondays to Wednesdays in August (50% off meals - max £10 per person) so you might save a fair bit on your holiday.

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Agree with the views on here. I wouldn't go to London personally. It really depends on what you want to do though. Everything is pretty much open (bar theatres and music venues) but everything is pretty much restricted too. Pre-booking is pretty much essential. If there is something specific that you want to do now wouldn't be a bad time, if not I wouldn't recommend it. If you are looking to get out of the city though it would be fine, but avoid major tourist hot spots.

FinnishJET and Brook! like this.
  10. FinnishJET

Again, thanks for the information.
    As for the plans for the trip, there's really not any :D I've never visited London before, so all the touristy activities certainly would be a big part of the trip, more the reason not to visit now :(

There's always next year, it's going to be a good one, trip to NYC and hopefully London at some point as well.

donkey and Brook! like this.
  11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Figured might as well just bump this instead of starting a new thread.

How are things looking now for travel? Everything opened up now?

Right now it looks like I'll be heading to Amesbury somewhere end of September to beginning of October.

Hoping maybe the Jets might be visiting team for a game over there, while I'm there but probably won't get that lucky.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

13. K'OB

Airports are busy and understaffed causing delays last I heard on the news, covid is rampant but it is now just classed as a cold and everything is open, no masks, no isolation etc.

Are you off to worship at Stonehenge then?

14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty much open now. There are pretty much no restrictions. I'm assuming you are jabbed. September/October probably a good time to visit.

The Waterboy likes this.
  15. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, September/October is a great time to visit. KIds are back at school and weather then is usually good (for the UK),

We always take a weeks holiday in mid to late September, in the UK, as the weather is good, all the attractions are open and not so crowded as July and August

The Waterboy likes this.
  16. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

We went to Ireland in January with no issues. However, we did have to show our COVID cards at restaurants/excursions proving that we were vaccinated.

The Waterboy likes this.
  17. The Waterboy

Thanks for the info.
    Yes, not actually Stonehenge but just near there going to be helping on a dig if all goes according to plans. They were rushing to try and get it done due to the tunnel the authorities were trying to put through the area but I heard the tunnel has either been delayed or stopped completely. Of course I am getting second hand info on the tunnel so not sure the entire story.

K'OB likes this.
  18. The Waterboy

Yes, have both shots and the booster. Figured the timing would be great to escape the Florida heat, late Sept. we still get mid 90's with high humidity.

19. K'OB

I remembe a bit of a hooha about that a couple of years ago but then it all went a bit quiet about the tunnel.

Are you an archaeologist then?

Sounds more interesting than a lorry driver like m lol

20. The Waterboy

No, not even an archaeology student. My neighbor is a Prof. at the college here and they send students over to help on the digs but they also need volunteers like me to do the grunt work. Mainly I'll be dumping buckets of dirt and working the sifter, my choice of vacation activities is not the norm I guess.

Brook! and K'OB like this.