Is Braxton worth his asking price...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't go penny over 7mil.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Not even close to worth the asking.

Buh-bye

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He won't get 9M a year on the open market. Rule #1 of contract negotiations is ask higher than what you actually want.

dmw likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I get $9m is a load. But he has more value than Anderson ($10m at the time) or even Mims, who will want a good 2nd contract when the time comes.

But then again if Moore becomes our true slot guy we may not even see Berrios too often.

5. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If he resigns with the Jets, he's going to be their 4th WR. Plus TE will hopefully be more of a focal point on offense so he's not going to see the field a ton barring injury. 9mil for that role, even with his RS abilities is rich. I also wonder if he would prefer to sign with a team where he's guaranteed to be their slot receiver. But I would love to see him back and hope they can work out a more reasonable deal. I'm also a bit scarred from seeing QBs lose targets they developed chemistry with and also trotting out PS-caliber WRs as starters because of poor depth. So maybe I'd be prone to overpay him, but there needs to be a limit. IMO this leads me to believe he's going to test the market so I don't expect him resigned before the start of free agency

nycarl, ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

If Braxton was our starting slot receiver I would say ok to 9mil. but he is first our PR/KR and secondly our backup slot or #4 or #5 receiver. If we draft a WR Braxton will be stuck behind Elisha. Elisha can do all the jet sweeps & WR screens that Braxton can, but better. Don't get me wrong, I would like to have Braxton on the team, just not at 9mil.

#8 BudJet, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jets are a bad franchise and unfortunately generally need to pay a bit of a premium to keep even decent talent. Hopefully this drives down to $7 million.

I don’t like the idea of him making that much money, but I also don’t like going the Sanchez route of taking away skill position players the young QB has a rapport with.

Mogriffjr, Ralebird, Brook! and 8 others like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Thought it was funny he got the probowl nod for kick returner and the probowl didnt even kick off! Did he even bother dressing for the game? Lol

Leicester Jet likes this.
  11. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I don't blame him for asking that much but that's way too much.
    Would rather see us spend that money on Davante Adams.

12. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Actually he didn't make the Pro Bowl, but he was named All Pro...go figure

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

Lol no woder i didnt see him!

BudJet likes this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

What Berrios brings to the offense is the threat of the Jet sweep. He and Moore were the only ones able to run the sweep last year. The threat of the sweep, getting to the edge and misdirection helped our run game and pass protection forcing DL to hesitate. Berrios might not be worth 9 million but we need someone to replace his role running the sweep. The Jet sweep covers up a lot of flaws in the offense and is essential to the offense we run. We cannot count on Moore to be healthy all season making Berrios a fairly big need.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Berrios was one of the few good things we had going this year, and he has good chemistry in the offense and with Zach. Are we really going to let him walk because we don't want to pay him an extra 2 million dollars? That would be penny wise and pound foolish.

westiedog1, NY Jets68, Cman68 and 6 others like this.
  16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Don't let him walk but don't overpay either...predicting >> he stays put

And Uncle Joe knows he overperfomed cause he was hitting FA after season:rolleyes:

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Jesus…THIS is why we suck!

way too often, we get into this kind of conversation that pretty much goes like this…we can’t overpay for a KR/PR/#4WR like Berrios

yet he EXCELLED at returns, which we haven’t had in ages…and while he’s not better than Moore, he actually was ON THE FIELD…Moore missed how many games?

the fact that this many people are so willing to let him walk for what, $2m more than what they think is a “Fair price” is beyond me

we have a shit roster and we need all the good players we can find…he was dependable, he was durable, I say keep him…

If we let him go, then we need to replace him anyway…so the question is not between $9m and zero, it’s between $9m and maybe in the $6m-$7m range…and I would absolutely keep him at that premium…

this is the kind of guy that the Patriots made into really good players, like Edelman or Whitehead or Welker….those weren’t prototype #1 guys but were very good players. Granted we don’t have Brady but we have a young QB who needs ALL the weapons he can get. Shoot, if Davis and Moore miss more games, Berrios is starting….I feel a lot better about that than I would about the next $6m guy out there

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't want to pay $9M...I think I said $7M in the other thread's poll...but I agree letting him walk over $2M is "penny-wise; pound-foolish". But I also think that number is going to come down. His highest value is to the Jets - at least I think it is, but there's team in Foxboro that loves guys who can do what Berrios does (and they might be looking to un-do their mistake of letting out of their grasp) - so I don't think anyone will be giving him $9M, and so hopefully the Jets can keep him for less.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't blame him for asking but hell no. Thats more then juju and crowder and cole and beasley are getting as slot WRs. realistically he'd be our 4th WR which to me is about 4-5 mil tops. I'd pay braxton 6 because his special teams play but not more then that personally

chandler and James Hasty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.