Is Bipartisanship Dead?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joelip, Jun 10, 2021.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

The fact is that we all need new new roads, bridges, good internet, etc. But the recent and current climate seems to be: "I don't want to give you what you want and you don't want to give me what I want, so we'll lock ourselves up, and nobody will get anything!"

Hell, my car yesterday almost got swallowed whole by a pothole, and you can't tell me that some kind of deal can't be made where everybody gets some of what they want. My car can't take much more of this gridlock!

The bipartisan agreement by level-headed, moderate Democrats and Republicans gives me hope that maybe there are enough non-fanatical legislators out there to join together and actually get some needed things done!

Ten Senate Democrats and Republicans say they reached five-year, nearly $1 trillion infrastructure deal (msn.com)

Brook! likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s dead. Party over country is the way. No need to actually serve and represent the people when you can divide them and get votes just for not being the other ones.

Brook! and Cman65 like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sorry joelip...

You'll have to put up with potholes until we fix racism, child care & the climate crisis first.

Lon Chaney and FJF like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

One party is expanding the definition of infrastructure while the other can't let go of the last POTUS. Not really conducive to bipartisanship.

NYJFan10 and Lon Chaney like this.
  5. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I haven’t read anything on it, but what else is in the infrastructure bill, that has nothing to do with infrastructure?

6. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yes, potholes and the Cincinnati I-75 bridge are my immediate problems. However, I happen to be one of those weirdos who believes the scientific consensus that our children and grandchildren will basically sizzle because of climate change, and if putting up with some potholes for awhile will save them from that, I'd be for it! I don't think that driving a Prius and combining trips is getting it done! I knew I shouldn't have had that hamburger!

Climate change will make America much warmer by 2050. See how these US cities will change. (vox.com)

Acad23 likes this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I sadly agree with this statement

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's not dead. There are reasonable people left, the extremists have loud voices on Twitter but they aren't the majority

joelip likes this.
  9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

It's actually been worse at various times in history. The cable programming and then the internet make things seem a lot worse because there is no common denominator in terms of information delivery anymore. And there are no sacrosanct trusted institutions beyond reproach anymore. Like, who even is the Surgeon General these days? Could you imagine C. Everett Koop getting roasted for a year about his public health recommendations? No one or institution commands that kind of gravitas anymore.

People have always been prone to hear what they wanted to hear, and its exponentially worse now than its ever been because its so easy to find media that suits your preferred narrative.

Brook!, joelip, Lon Chaney and 3 others like this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem is that Democracy requires healthy debate in order to function.

That debate can be easily played off of by adversaries foreign and domestic to create division.

That division can be turned into rifts in the polity by aggressive manipulation by those foreign and domestic adversaries.

This is why we used to collectively understand that debate ended at the water's edge and that once a foreign adversary had begun to interfere it was time to close ranks and deal with that specific issue.

I get that there are problems on all sides in this crisis however it is key that the GOP reform in a way that foreign adversaries cannot play off of them to create domestic tensions. The alternative is going to be civil war at some point and a tremendous strengthening for our foreign adversaries in the process.

The domestic adversaries is a different question but the foreign adversaries have to be dealt with by Americans collectively or we are in deep trouble as a nation.

joelip likes this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Don't you think foreign adversaries play off the left too? We have a lot of evidence they do. They don't just play one side.

On the topic of healthy debate, don't you think an extremely biased mainstream media makes that really hard to do? When one guy is president there are "kids in cages" and with a different guy the exact same thing is "children in facilities". There are countless examples of similar reframing going on. The mainstream media and social media are the most divisive forces in the nation and it's not even close.

Until the media is rewarded for accuracy and objectivity instead of clicks, eyeballs and outrage we're screwed.

Jonathan_Vilma, FJF and joelip like this.
  12. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yes, it's clear that foreign adversaries have played both sides with sickening success. This is not to say that they don't have preferences, though. (Consider, for example, U. S. intelligence assessments of Russian interference in the 2016 elections: Russian interference in the 2016 United States elections - Wikipedia).

It's also clear that the mainstream media distorts things at times. However, considering the ratings popularity and the transparent distortions of Fox News, wouldn't you put it in there with CNN and MSNBC as mainstream media that basically present opinions and slanted coverage/noncoverage of current events? It's becoming a daunting chore to find relatively balanced, even-handed sources of information!

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

No doubt Fox is biased too but when 90% of the networks are biased in the opposite direction it's hard to call it an even playing field. Then look at Reddit, Twitter, Facebook etc, almost all of them skew left with their moderation and content allowances. Go visit the generic "Politics" subreddit and tell me it's anything other than a left wing echo chamber. And that's the subreddit that's supposedly for all sides of politics, not even the specific Democrat/left-leaning sub.

I don't know what the solution is but I know it will involve realigning the incentives of media outlets to reward them for accuracy instead of outrage. I don't blame them for emphasizing incendiary things, it's in the best interest of their business model to do so. The entire system needs to be blown up and reworked though or it's going to continue to have a massively negative impact on our society.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

But NPR is fair & balanced... right?

15. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yeah, sensationalized, slanted reporting has been around as long as journalism has been around. I don't think we need to just accept it, though. Even reporters have codes of ethics! To wit:
    Journalistic Ethics | Journalism in the Digital Age (stanford.edu)

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Has anyone relayed this information to Brian Williams?

[​IMG]