is 2022 an Open QB competition?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Dec 26, 2021.

?

If we acquire another QB or the ones on the roster are balling Would an open QB comp be accepted?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2022.
  1. ZACH IS THE F&*^% STARTER NO MATTER WHAT!!

40 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Open QB where best man gets the job

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Bench him and make him learn it & earn it.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I've always been a make him earn it guy especially if they are being outplayed ...
    ..that said, if there isn't anyone pushing the kid then he's just gotta go out there and backyard it til something gives.

But we can't seriously consider asking the rest of the team to sacrifice themselves to give him another year to learn and burn. Is that really fair to the rest of the squad?

I can see it both ways but something's gotta give......seriously.

Red Menace and abyzmul like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Woody doesn't do open QB competitions. Just fake ones.

NoodleArm, papapump, stinkyB and 3 others like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If you aren’t going to make him earn it in year one, you’re not going to suddenly do it in year two. Open QB competitions are generally nonsense when it includes a first round quarterback. The organization usually has its mind made up as to what they want to do whether that’s play them or not based on whose on the roster.

The only thing that would make it a truly open competition is if they drafted a first or second round QB.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jersey sales would definitely suffer with an open competition.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Is Tim Tebow available?

Maybe Woody would be up for an open QB competition with a QB that Tebow could actually beat out?

barfolomew likes this.
  6. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah took the words out of my mouth the time for this has passed. I've never seen a team start a rookie year 1 then decide to let him sit and learn year 2. I said it from the start putting him out there immediately Jets were putting him in a position where he was going to show he's special or crash and burn

Royal Tee likes this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Generally this is true. But this time, Zach had to get his feet wet playing year 1 and get acclimated to the league. He has a full off season to watch tape and see what went right or wrong for him. I expect him to be better in the camp next year. So I would really get a Nick Foles type of guy and make them compete openly. Zach won't have rookie excuse anymore. I just don't want job to be handed to him without seeing if he improved or not.

barfolomew, Cman68 and papapump like this.
  8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

there is no chance it will be a QB competition next year - if ZW struggles next year then there are two highly regarded QBs due to come out in 2023 and the Jets should be picking high so we will probably rinse and repeat.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He’s the QB whether we like it or not, this program is new, not just Wilson.

Woody will give them an opportunity to develop the whole program not just the QB, so the answer is simple, no QB competition for next year, I would sign a veteran as a backup in case he gets hurt again and Jets need stability.

However, based on next years schedule, unless Douglas hits a home run in the draft and comes out with multiple day one impact players, this CS will be gone after next year as they will not win many games.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Should've happened this year. Next year, we will sink or swim with Zach. If there's no material improvement, then he should not be handed the job in 2023.

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Zach is throwing the ball like he has an injured arm or shoulder. His form and delivery just looks way off. When you can't throw the ball 10 yards without it being a duck or are missing 5 yd passes by a mile, something is up. When White and Flacco played, the WRs were in the game. When Zach plays, the WRs turn invisible and should not even bother to suit up. This is alarming considering one would think he would be throwing better with almost a year under his belt.

12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Our defense is the worst in the league by a very large margin and you are worried about a QB competition next season?

We need to shore up the defense in the draft and FA. On offense we need to address TE and maybe some a late round receiver.

If the defense continues to be this bad it does not matter who is playing QB we will not win more than 2 games.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I've seen the no QB competition scenario before in 1977.

It took the Jets 4 seasons after that to become competitive.

I'm not sticking around for that this time around. If ZW is handed the job next year without earning it I am done with football.

14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You evaluate QB's like your namesake.

KingRoach likes this.
  15. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Yes. Zach has played well when pushed at BYU.

That said, Zach is our QB. Period.

And we should have a veteran like Flacco or Foles who can move the talent on the team should Wilson go down.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

17. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

They babied him a lot in preseason. Let him make a few improvised passes, showcasing that college stuff, then taking him out letting him feel confident. He wasn't ready. The whole letting Flacco go was so wrong. Hopefully Zach gets his act together like Josh Allen did in his off-season. Hopefully....

Royal Tee and Brook! like this.
  18. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

He’s going to get a 2nd year for the Jets to evaluate him. They will almost certainly bring in a veteran/Nick Foles type who can step in if he’s a complete disaster.

These last four games are going to be tough to evaluate him as the Jets do not have a functional group of a WRs.

Royal Tee likes this.
  19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

No competition, despite what the coaches say. If there was, Mike White would be our QB. Zach is the Jets QB for the next 2 years. Hopefully after that, he becomes our FQB.

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

competition with whom would be the first question. Zach is clearly improving and this is happening without any WRs on the active roster. Where he was drafted and how he is impmriving tells me there is no way there is a QB comp-nor should there be

ColoradoContrails likes this.