Intriguing Oline Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, May 5, 2020.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I have an unhealthy draft obsession....I'll admit it to you guys! Probably my favorite time of year. So in the spirit of boredom and nothing going on--I wanted to present an intriguing situation next year.

If we end up in position to draft Penei Sewell, I say we draft him! Now I know you guys will think I'm crazy and say go with a top WR, but hear me out. Remember us during our best years, we had dominance at the Oline and we were able to augment for average QB play. Imagine that but better.

Becton might be a great LT, but I think he could be an amazing RT. Sewell is a Joe Thomas and Tyrone Smith prospect. If you have Sewell and Becton as bookends--followed up by Clark and Lewis at guard with MGovern at center....that's an elite Oline that can go deep in the playoffs. It might be early, but my vote is Sewell next year all the way!

There are no elite pass rushers unfortunately, so my early board is

1) Sewell
    2) Jamar Chase
    3) Trade Down for a haul

boozer32 likes this.
  2. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Where do you think the Jets are going to pick? I figure they'll have to be in the top 3 to get Sewell.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Drafting the same position two years running creates a situation in which one requires a contract extension the year after the other as well. I prefer to invest highly every few years, that way you spend most of the time with one expensive vet and one young cheap draftee, both of high caliber.
    I was just planning on writing a post on a similar topic.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If we're drafting where we can get Sewell, we'd have to at least consider it, but IMO unless between Hall, Wilson, and Austin the Jets see that they have two high quality starting CBs, the three top priorities next year will be WR, CB and Edge. If there are no elite edge rushers next year, then we could potentially reverse the situation and take a WR in the 1st and a RT in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd round.

There are a number of quality players that we could use next year, but unless things go terribly wrong, we probably won't have a chance at most of them.

WR: Ja'Marr Chase (LSU), Jaylen Waddle (Alabama), Justyn Ross (Clemson), DeVonta Smith (Alabama),

EDGE: Gregory Rousseau (Miami)

CB: Patrick Surtain II (Alabama), Shaun Wade (Ohio St.), Paulson Adebo (Stanford), Israel Mukuamu (Clemson)

OT: Penei Sewell (Oregon), Walker Little (Stanford), Alex Leatherwoodn (Alabama), Sam Cosmi (Texas), Trey Smith (Tennessee)

IOL: Creed Humphrey (Oklahoma),

TE: Pat Freiermuth (Penn St.)

LB: Micah Parsons (Penn St.)

RB: Travis Etienne (Clemson), Najee Harris (Alabama)

Mogriffjr and MaximusD163 like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You really think Sewell will be available at 32??

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Nah, next year needs to be all about adding more weapons for the offense. Need at least one WR, one RB, and possibly a TE.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we're drafting THAT high next year, you need to add QB and HC to the list.

8. Already pushing WR down the priority list for yet another draft that isnt even here.I rest my case:)

Jerryjeudy, Red Menace and J-Raw24 like this.
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Cannot draft a WR before we have five 1st rd back ups on the OL.

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Edge would be my number one hope for the first round next year.

11. Hoping the potential flood of high prospects in the upcoming supplemental draft becomes a reality. Been suggested acouple WRs who almost declared Will enter.

JD can pull the trigger on one & spare those of us who actually care about offense& helping Sam from another offseason of threads like this where scoring points is an afterthought.

12. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Any idea which may declare? Haven't seen anything myself.

13. J-Raw24 likes this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

One has to wonder with the unlikelihood of a college football season this year what is better for elite players declaring now in the supplemental draft or coming out next year in what might be a very weak draft if everyone gets an extra year of eligibility?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I really hope our new punter works out. If not we should draft one in the 1st round.

I'm writing an article on how a good punter offers Indirect Pass Protection (IPP) for the QB.

16. NCJetsfan

At least Stevenson has had a 1,019 and 907 yard seasons the last two years, respectively. He also returns kicks, and has returned a few punts. Is he any good? Is he fast?

I wouldn't expect Douglas to take over one player in the supplemental draft, and if Etienne, Wade, Leatherwood, Hill, Little, Smith, and Moses are in the Supplemental Draft, I don't think the one he took would be Stevenson. I'd put my money on Etienne, Wade or one of the OL. As much as I want WR help, I don't think I'd want Stevenson over Etienne.

I just saw that Etienne will not be in the Supplemental draft unless his status changes. He didn't sign up for it.

#16 NCJetsfan, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well it's way early but before you know it it'll be time for the 2021 draft.

Without knowing the Jets record for 2020 but assuming something around .500 I would have to say that JD will have a better situation but will still be looking at the best player available - but with QB and safety ruled out. He addressed the four major needs this year ( OT, WR, EDGE, and CB ) but at this time he could opt with the same plan for the same positions next year except in a different order. If I had to guess right now I would say EDGE would be his first choice. RB is another area I would expect a high pick …….but maybe not first round.

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd argue that WR is still a big priority given that only one was taken from this year's draft. And I'm not sold on Perriman being a long term answer. The UDFA's are UDFA's for a reason. I'm not counting on them yet.

19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Generally speaking I don't think you can ever get too upset over building a dominant offensive line. With the slight disclaimer that a team has to have a QB to be successful I feel OL is the singular most important unit on a football team.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I agree. Ryan Griffin's a nice player, but the #2 TE position could easily be upgraded as well. Unless Mims, Perriman and Doctson blow the roof off this season, then Douglas better take a WR high next year, or I may blow a gasket.