Interesting Take on Jets FO

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DevTeam, Apr 20, 2006.

1. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

From ESPN insider

Looks like Tangini might not be all that solid when it comes to talent evaluation.

2. parafly

parafly New Member

I don't think that Tangini are the only people making the decisions. They kept Bradway for a reason...

As much as people dislike him on this site, Bradway was a decent talent evaluator. Hopefully, they can all come to a mutual decision.

#2 parafly, Apr 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2005
  3. rillo

rillo New Member

we'll just have to see.....i like what they are doin with signings.....next up the draft....plz dont make me boo....LOL

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Its obvious this guy is a hard worker. He will prove himself on draft day.

5. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

I don't think he was such a great talent evaluator. All you need to do is look at our last 4 or 5 drafts to see that he was mediocre at best.

6. rillo

rillo New Member

he drafted pretty good....except bryan thomas wasnt happy with that when you have ed reed on the board...but o'well he did pretty good in the later rounds (eric coleman kerry rhodes and cedric houston....etc)

7. parafly

parafly New Member

It is inevitable that some picks will be busts. There is just no way to predict the way a college player will progress to the next level.

Bradway was a terrible manager, but a decent talent evaluator / scout. We definitely picked up some talented role players in the later rounds of the past few drafts. Last year alone, he picked up Kerry Rhodes and Cedric Houston in the 6th round. Those are good picks in my book.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

What a tribute to the job Bradway and Herm did. The dart board method would be an upgrade.

9. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

I disagree with that statement. I agree that the Jets are in a bad situation, bottom third of the league for sure, but I don't see how you can definitively say that the Jets are in a worse situation than the 9ers, Saints, Texans, Packers, Bills, Lions, Cardinals, Raiders, and maybe a couple of other teams.

I do agree that the Jets need to hit a homerun in this draft. It's a good thing that we have the ammo (7 picks in the top 117) to do so.

10. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

The Texans, Saints, Cardinals, Lions and Raiders all have more offensive talent than we do. They all have shaky QB situations, but so do we. And all of those Ds are about on par with ours. The only team I'd say is worse than us right now are the 9ers, and maybe the Bills.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

When a team has a top 10 defense, they don't have the worst roster in the league. This source has no credibility.

12. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

The ESPN Insider is in agreement with an AFC exec who was qouted in the Boston Globe"

''The kids pulled off a palace coup," said an AFC front office executive. ''Tannenbaum was close to the owner and to Mangini. Mangini came in and immediately stepped on Bradway when he hired [Brian] Schottenheimer [as his 32-year-old offensive coordinator] without consultation".

''They're all bright guys, but they're ruthless guys. Johnson has no idea if any of them can do the job. Mangini hasn't ever been the boss of anything, Schottenheimer hasn't ever coordinated a lunch order, and Tannenbaum likes to make believe he's a football guy but he isn't".

13. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

When you lose Pro Bowl players like John Abraham and Ty Law, you are no longer a top twenty defense.

14. winstonbiggs

We ranked 12th in total team D and 23 in points allowed last year. We stunk on both sides of the ball. There is no sugar coating it.

15. parafly

parafly New Member

Our defense was also on the field for 75% of the game. It's not as bad as you make it seem. We lost Law (who was overrated, IMO), but added Dyson to replace him. We lost Abraham, but added a few DL and will hopefully add Super Mario. We added a couple of talented LB, and our young secondary has an added year of experience. Overall, I think the state of our defense is pretty good, and if we add Mario Williams, we have the potential to be top 10.

16. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I'll wait till the games are actually played to pass any judgement. So far, all we can base judgement on is how Mangini did as DB coach and D-coordinator with the Patriots.

Also, if you look at the type of free agent moves we have made this offseason, you can definitely say that these guys are wrong. We've signed solid, value players who will contribute to this team. Kimo and Dyson were both solid signings that we got for a huge bargain.

If you want to talk about poor talent evaluators, look no farther than Herm. I was a fan of Herm, but just look at the fact that he left Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones as starters for so long.

17. winstonbiggs

Teams also didn't have to attack our D very much last year either because they didn't have to score many points to beat us.

We may have some decent players but it's very hard to tell right now. Is Barton going to be healthy? Is D-Rob's chronic knee going to hold him back? Is Shaun Ellis going to bounce back? Is Miller capable of being an everyday starting CB? Is Hobson going to continue to look like a JAG? Are we going to get a top quality rookie who will be able to contribute next year? If everyone comes back solid and plays to their potential we could have a very decent D, if?

18. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Tangini is not 1 person!!!!!

Tannebaum and Mangini I think will work together and find a way to get the right guy. I think they know that they are inexperienced and are humble enough to konw that they'll have to rely more on scouts than most other GM's.

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Teams may not have been attacking us but that does not matter, because what other teams were doing was controlling the game. They kept the defense on the field most of the game, which kept our defense worn out. Oh yeah, and our defense happened to be injury ridden. We lost Ellis, Robertson, and Barton, among others as far as depth was concerned.

This year we're receiving a completely healthy unit, we have new players to fill need positions created by losing Abraham and Law, (not to mention having the headache of Abraham's off the field issues gone), a new scheme which will cross 4-3 and 3-4 systems, and a new fresh approach from our new coaches. There is going to be competition to win starting jobs across the board. I think this is a year to be excited about the defense, not concerned.

20. winstonbiggs

I'm not saying that we will not have a very good D. I don't mind losing Abe however I think it is very naive to believe if we don't get a stud pass rusher in to replace him that we won't miss him big time.

#20 winstonbiggs, Apr 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2005