Interesting Prospect to consider for the jets

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 19, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

QB Tyree Jackson. Expected round 3-7
    Where the jets could take him? 4th, 6th or 7th round
    When I would take him? I'd be willing to use the 4th if there is no value there to be had instead, but if he is there in the 6th i'd grab him for sure as in my current mock the 6th round for us is a "luxury" pick we can use on anyone so if he falls that far, it's worth it.

Why it makes sense?
    Jackson is an athletic freak. He's 6'7" 250lbs runs a 4.6 40 and has a cannon of an arm. He has some of the good qualities of a cam newton. The jets do need to have a back up QB they can trust. they don't seem to love webb and not sure how long he sticks around and simean is on a 1 year contract, not to mention the value of QBs in the NFL is crazy. Say if (god forbid) darnold gets hurt in a couple of years and jackson has to fill in and lights it up. we'd be able to move him for a huge value. He can also be used as a gadget player like a brad smith and may be willing to convert to TE/WR like pryor and brad smith did and with his height makes a good red zone target. He could also run sub packages like wild cat, option plays, and sneak plays on 3rd and short so darnold doens't have to. Could be a nice player to have on offense for us. Not to mention if darnold did get hurt in game and another QB has to come in, nothing fucks up a defense more then having to go from a gameplan of a pocket passer to dealing with a mobile QB mid game or vice versa.

Why it doesn't make sense?
    We have more pressing needs obviously. He's likely never going to be a real QB. He lacks accuracy, has no touch, is incosistent, is a 1 read then run or scramble to by time QB (won't sit in the pocket and progress through his reads) he is a chucker which leads to INTs, and doens't secure the ball well while scrambling. Would need to have an offense built around him to see any NFL sucess (likely the carolina run/option offense scheme) and needs a lot of development which we are kinda busy developing sam already

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nope. No QBs.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

think of him as more of a gadget player then a QB. i can see him going the brad smith or terelle pryor route and transitioning into a TE

5. Already have 4 QBs on the roster..3 to battle for one roster spot & one practice squad.

Lets add playmakers & young talent at the point of attack

6. GasedAndConfused

7. I think those kind of picks can really be valuable.But obviously he’d need to go through gauntlet drills as well as running route trees, be 100% on board w changing positions,etc. Alot of moving parts & thats in a very deep WR/TE class..i get the gadget aspect & perhaps if we start stockpiling day 2 & 3 picks..but as it stands too little margin for error in the current landscape & far too many prospects who dont need to change positions if we go the skill player route.

8. GasedAndConfused

he doens't need to convert right now but think of him being used like the ravens used jackson the 1st half of the season. wildcat and short yardage. even lining him up at WR for a reverse and letting him throw would be better then letting an actual WR throw. hell ODB threw 2 TDs last year and at 1 point midway in the season there was more WR passing TDs in the NFL then bills QBs passing TDs. It's obviously a risky pick but if he's there in the 6th (he could be) i consider it a throwaway pick anyway. I'd rather spend a 6th on a potential gadget player then a guy who plays special teams for 2 seasons and is out of the NFL like most 6th rounders. I wouldn't use anything higher then a 6th though or expect him to come out and play WR or TE off the bat

9. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Nope. Don’t like that at all.

Quick reminder: we have 6 draft picks as of today with major needs at Edge, CB, WR and virtually the entire OL.

I can appreciate your knowledge of Tyree Jackson @GasedAndConfused and your thinking outside of the box.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

FYI in my mock draft i addressed every need and my 6th rounder turned out to be a luxury pick where i took a FS so he could replace that FS. I covered edge, OT, C, WR/RB, KR, and RB with the other picks so he wouldn't take away from that. he would be replacing a FS

11. 101GangGreen101

IMO, now is not the time to get cute with the offense. Jets need to establish a foundation and identity first.

NCJetsfan, FJF and mrjet80 like this.
  12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The Jets need to focus on the interior of the OL and maybe try to find a # 1 ( or a big ) WR. They also have 4 QBs on the current roster and the two that will be fighting in training camp for the #3 job are very interesting prospects. They only have six picks as of now and have several needs on defense. Until those needs are filled I can’t see the Jets going after a gadget QB.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I still say no. There are better players at positions of need, and better players at positions that aren't positions of need, but where we could upgrade the depth. No way I'd waste a pick on him, not if I had 10 picks.

14. NCJetsfan

I hate the wildcat and never want to see it again. If he's inaccurate (and he is) then I don't want him throwing any passes. I'd rather have Crowder throwing passes.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

nothing wrong with a few trick players here and there and it doens't throw anything else off. if you look at what gase did in miami it was the same thing so i'm thinking he may want to stock up on players here for that

16. GasedAndConfused

fair enough

he's more accurate then a WR lol

17. 101GangGreen101

You don't need to draft a Tyree Jackson to create trick plays. Also, I don't think Jackson will go that late in the draft.

This year Jets need to establish their identity. Jackson would be a waste of a pick as he would barely get any PT.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I have become really suspicious of guys who are described as a 'physical freak'. They nearly always seem to quietly disappear once they reach the NFL. I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of freaks who went on to have great pro careers, but it always strikes me that if the first thing people say about someone is that he's a physicial freak, there's something wrong. I know a lot of it is lazy journalism and writers just can't be bothered to say anything original, but it just sets alarm bells ringing for me.

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

calvin johnson was a physical freak. just saying

20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

We can all come up with examples to support or undermine an argument. I'm just saying I'm suspicious of 'physical freaks'.