Interesting mock 1st round: Rick Gosselin - The Dallas Morning News

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Revis Flytrap, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

I like this because of the logic he applies to each teams need: not that he offers an in-depth analysis. Also, his knowledge of the Jets seems to be absent Clowney. Still, one of the better analyses that I have seen.

http://www.heraldextra.com/index.ph...05751&Itemid=140&mosmsg=Thanks+for+your+vote!

Detroit will try not to strike out by drafting Stafford
    Rick Gosselin - The Dallas Morning News

The Detroit Lions obviously do not know what a Pro Bowl quarterback looks like.
    The last time a Detroit quarterback went to the Pro Bowl was 1972 (Greg Landry). The Lions have used a first-round draft choice on a quarterback three times since then and whiffed each time: Chuck Long in 1986, Andre Ware in 1990 and Joey Harrington in 2002.

Three strikes and you're out, right? Not when it comes to quarterbacks. If you don't have one in the NFL, you don't stand a chance. The Lions won three NFL titles in the 1950s in large part because they had a Hall of Fame quarterback in Bobby Layne. So the search continues.

Georgia's Matthew Stafford is the top-rated quarterback in the 2009 NFL draft (which will be held April 25 and 26), and the Lions have the first overall selection. Coincidentally, Stafford attended the same high school as Layne -- Highland Park in suburban Dallas. So pencil in Stafford to the Lions at the top of this draft board.

This mock draft is based on my draft board of the top 32 players:

1. DETROIT: Matthew Stafford. QB, Georgia: Lions are hoping Stafford can be their next Bobby Layne

2. ST. LOUIS: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor: Huge hole at left tackle with release of Orlando Pace

3. KANSAS CITY: Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest: The NFL's 31st-ranked defense needs a playmaker

4. SEATTLE: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech: Seahawks desperate for a threatening offensive weapon

5. CLEVELAND: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College: Success starts with run defense in AFC North

6. CINCINNATI: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri: Bengals need WR/KR to replace T.J. Houshmandzadeh

7. OAKLAND: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida: Raiders need more weapons to give QB Russell a chance

8. JACKSONVILLE: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia: Jaguars allowed 42 sacks last season

9. GREEN BAY: Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU: Going to a 3-4, the Packers get best 3-4 DE in draft

10. SAN FRANCISCO: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC: Success has always started at QB for the 49ers

11. BUFFALO: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State: The NFL's 29th-ranked pass rush needs help

12. DENVER: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State: Without Jay Cutler, the Broncos need a quarterback

13. WASHINGTON: Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas: Like Buffalo, the Redskins managed only 24 sacks in 2008

14. NEW ORLEANS: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois: The NFL's 23rd-ranked pass defense needs a shutdown corner

15. HOUSTON: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee: Pro Bowler DE Mario Williams had 12 of Texans' 25 sacks

16. SAN DIEGO: Rey Maualuga, MLB, USC: Maualuga plays with same reckless abandon as Junior Seau

17. N.Y. JETS: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland: Jets need to replace the speed of Laveranues Coles

18. DENVER: Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi: The NFL's 29th-ranked defense needs across-the-board help

19. TAMPA BAY: Beanie Wells, HB, Ohio State: With Gruden gone, Bucs become power-oriented on offense

20. DETROIT: Ziggy Hood, DT, Missouri: Detroit's two starting DTs gone from a year ago

21. PHILADELPHIA: Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Okla. St.: Eagles lost TE L.J. Smith in free agency

22. MINNESOTA: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State: Vikes need a physical presence in 18th-ranked pass defense

23. NEW ENGLAND: Clay Matthews, OLB, USC: Bill Belichick also coached Clay's dad at Cleveland

24. ATLANTA: Brian Cushing, OLB, USC: The Falcons lost their two starting OLBs in free agency

25. MIAMI: James Laurinaitis, MLB, Ohio State: Give him a month and Laurinaitis will be running Miami D

26. BALTIMORE: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama: Another gift for the Ravens -- great player, bad workout

27. INDIANAPOLIS: Knowshon Moreno, HB, Georgia: Joseph Addai can't stay healthy, so help is on the way

28. PHILADELPHIA: LeSean McCoy, HB, Pitt: McCoy is a clone of Brian Westbrook

29. N.Y. GIANTS: Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi: Gives Giants the luxury of moving Dave Diehl back to G

30. TENNESSEE: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers: Deep speed eases pressure on Pro Bowl RB Chris Johnson

31. ARIZONA: Donald Brown, HB, Connecticut: NFL's worst rushing attack gets a boost

32. PITTSBURGH: Alex Mack, C, California: Steelers need to re-establish identity as running team.

2. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

i just threw up in my mouth

3. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Freeman makes no sense to Denver, he is the opposite of a McDaniels QB, and if anything this years version of Vince Young, Joe Flacco or Jamarcus Russel, with an outside shot of Jay Cutler. He is the guy with the amazing skillset but not the cerebral QB who makes reads and low risk passes. I think that Denver will look at their guy in the middle rounds and find someone that will fit in with McDaniels, not just force it with the 3rd best QB in the draft

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Alot of people think he is the best QB in the draft, saying he is the third best QB isn't exactly accurate. I think he will end up going a lot higher then the consensus on this board seems to suggest. Denver could be the spot if Sanchez isn't available.

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Positives
    - Do not mind DHB to the Jets at 17. I know I am in the minority here but he can be of use in this offense
    - 1st 3 picks is probably a lock and I'll even give him the Seattle pick as well as the Cleveland pick I guess but it goes downhill then

Negatives
    - Everette Brown not in the 1st round is a joke in itself and is a reason why this draft should just be dismissed right off the bat but I will keep on going.......

- Michael Oher isnt getting passed Washington, much less Detroit, New England, Baltimore or Indy. Cmon
    - Derrick Ward just got some money from TB and they have Caddillac and Earnest Graham so they are set at RB and wouldent draft Beanie.
    - Malcolm Jenkins is going before Vontae Davis
    - Percy Harvin 7th? Seriously? :rofl: Then again its Al Davis so he would make such a stupid pick like that.
    - Not sure why BUF passes on Orakpo for Maybin but okay.....................
    - Hood over Oher, Cushing and Matthews? Dont think DET would do that.
    - Alot of snatching on RBs in round 1. Thats opinion I guess, just dont foresee FOUR RBs in round 1.

6. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

^Hmm., interesting points

7. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I like him better than Sanchez for sure, but overall the QBs in this draft are weak at the top of the draft with the late rounders having some good potential.

McDaniels wants system QB, someone he can work with to fit his mold, Freeman is more of a guy that you build your offense to suit. You use his skill set to develop the offense, we have alredy seen what happens when the guy doesn't fit the system. So I tink Denver has zero chance of taking Freeman

8. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

how is freeman anything like vince young?

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

As a QB freeman is nothing like young. Not as mobile, but a better thrower.

Young had awful footwork and a awkward release and throwing motion. Freeman has a nice over the top delivery, but its somewaht slow. He is very tall and takes long strides in his drop, but that can be worked on.

The Biggest similarity is the inability to read defenses. Both Freeman and Young have this as a knock against them. Freeman seems to force too many throws and take too many chances. Young relied too much on his tathleticism to beat NCAA defenses.

Both are over rated as pro prospects. Maybe thats what he ment.

10. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I never meant same skillset as far as a clone, I meant that he is a good QB because of great athleticism, but has trouble with the X's and O's part of the game. He does not seem to be a student of the game, but more of a QB who plays well because of his athleticism. That is the comparison to Young

11. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

"...Jets need to replace the speed of Laveranues Coles" ?????

Of all the attributes LC may have had, exceptional speed is not one that comes to mind.

And of all the rationales they could give to support the pick, this one seems pretty dopey...I'd have less problem with it if they just left our the words "the speed of".

12. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

......................... edited