In what ways does Zach Wilson need to improve

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Feb 27, 2022.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

2 things I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Consistency
    2. He needs to bulk up a little so he can take the hits better.

PJ4Ever, Jojo and FJF like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

ZW led the league in time of possession after the snap. Over half his sack occured after he held the ball for 4 seconds or longer. A lifetime in NFL standards. edit...he was the 3rd or 4th most sacked QB last season with around 50 hits. That's A LOT for any QB, let alone as you mentioned a smallish framed human.

Sooo...ZW needs to get much better at coming off his first read sooner and throwing to his outlet WR, or just throwing the ball away. He's so determined to make every play work that he stays with it far too long. He could use some help with a true #1 WR who can get open in 2-3 seconds (second edit) and come down with the ball after Zack hits him in the hands, that would help tremendously!

ouchy, Jojo, Ralebird and 1 other person like this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Agree with adding weight, which I think he said he's going to do at the end of last season.

In addition to that:

Blitz pickup
    Short & medium accuracy
    Touch on short passes
    Get rid of the ball more quickly
    Take the easy stuff, get more comfortable with dinking and dunking
    Go through progressions better, tended to lock in on one guy his first year
    Know when to throw the ball away

Probably some others I'm forgetting.

Brook!, ouchy, Jojo and 2 others like this.
  4. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

He really struggles with short/medium passes where he should have a high completion percentage. Often he is way off on very short passes to open wideouts/RBs.
    That is also what worries me most about him.

jets_fan, Brook!, Jojo and 6 others like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He needs to be able to make plays without turning the ball over. He started the season throwing downfield with no caution like he was still at BYU and was an interception machine. Then after the injury, he stopped throwing interceptions but that was by going extreme game manager. Neither are sufficient to be a starting NFL QB.

Jojo, Jets79, REVISion and 1 other person like this.
  7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Consistency is the biggest one. Everything he struggled with at times, he also showed he could do very well on at other times. He needs consistency in his footwork and timing, and I think most of the rest will come with that.

Brook!, PJ4Ever, Jojo and 6 others like this.
  8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

That's not true, jets need a new offensive line, just ask the fanbase

westiedog1 and Footballgod214 like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Fans are always in denial and the last to know!

Jets69 likes this.
  10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Accuracy on his short throws particularly in the flat ….

Some have mentioned learning to throw the ball away but I feel I saw alot of improvement in that area especially in the last 4-6 weeks.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Not so sure I agree about the weight. I'm afraid if he bulks up, he won't be as flexible and I think he needs flexibility to make the kinds of throws we saw him make in college and to evade rushers. Strength, okay, but not so much weight.

jets_fan likes this.
  12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Read defenses better

Hit his receivers in stride with a catchable ball

Get rid of the ball faster

Avoid turnovers

I think Zach has good mobility and OK pocket awareness but needs a lot of work.

dmw likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

-Having the right touch on throws
    -Make quicker decisions
    -Taking what the defense gives him
    -Compete for his job like Lawrence will in Jacksonville(this might be made up)

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

QBs in the NFL do not compete for the starting job. It's like the Tuna said, "If you have two QBs, you have none." When you draft a potential FQB, he IS the guy until he proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he isn't. We aren't anywhere near that point with Zach.

I believe the quicker decisions will come. They did at BYU. Quicker decision making by QBs is a product of a QB being cerebral/high football IQ, being able to process quickly, and preparation (watching lots of film to recognize blitzes, tendencies of the opposing team, and knowing one's offense.) We know that Zach has a high football IQ and he is a film rat. We know that he processed very quickly at BYU. We know he asks a ton of questions thinking ahead of even his coaches. With a year's experience in the offense, and with MLF having a year's experience in getting to know Zach, in play calling and being the OC, I feel very confident that this will not be an issue this season or for long, if at all. Most rookie QBs aren't ready to play against all the complex blitzes and D alignments in the NFL, so they wind up processing more slowly than they do normally. He might struggle a little the first time he plays a team he hasn't played yet, but I don't think it will be a problem.

Taking what the defense gives him, is true for the OC as well as the QB. If the QB doesn't have the freedom to audible out of a play, then he is at the mercy of the play call of the OC. Some OCs and HCs insist on imposing their will upon the other team rather than taking what the D gives them. I don't know Saleh and MLF well enough yet to know if they will take what the D gives them, but I think they probably lean in that direction rather than being the old school "impose their will" type.

#14 NCJetsfan, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    Brook! and dmw like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I think with the comfort of being in the offense for a year, understanding what his teammates can do and will do, and working with MLF for a year, will have Zach more at ease, not having to think so much, and letting his natural ability take over. He works hard and prepares. There's nothing he cannot do talent wise at QB, except run over people like Cam Newton did.

I don't want him taking sacks unnecessarily, but I also don't want him throwing the ball away all the time as some fans think he should do. Part of his game and a big part of why we drafted him is his ability to extend plays, create, and make something out of nothing. We don't want that taken out of his game. There are times he needs to throw the ball away however, and move on to the next play. Experience will teach him when to throw it away and when to extend plays.

#15 NCJetsfan, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    Brook! and dmw like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The website 'The Ringer' summed it up well:

"Wilson’s processing remains debilitatingly slow, and it has multiple negative effects on his game. There are plays during which Wilson’s slow process means the ball is delivered to the checkdown well after the checkdown is a viable option: Zone defenders have already keyed on the route and are closing downhill, ensuring that the gain will be marginal at best, a loss at worst"

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/12/15/22836791/zach-wilson-new-york-jets-struggles

you have to be able move the chains first and foremost

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Also from the Ringer

The Dark Knight and cval like this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He had to look hard for that one. There is plenty of credible sources breaking down Zach's games.

bicketybam likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Simple..Learn enough to Win games and not Bust out

If it's same problems listed by half a dozen posters above the future may be far from rosy

OTOH He could have his bust out greatness year plus a new girlfriend ha

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That quote is usually attributed to John Madden, its context is unknown; Madden was a successful coach who I believe put the best players on the field regardless of their salary or draft position.

Here's what Parcells said about competition:

If you got anything to you at all as an athlete and a competitor, you don't care what the circumstances are. You still got competition.

Bill Parcells

#20 Ralebird, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    James Hasty likes this.