In retrospect, should the Jets have drafted Lamar Jackson?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Jan 9, 2020.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not on the 3 pick that's for sure.

Once Maccagnan traded up from the 6 he was going to take whichever of the names dropped to him and Jackson was not a name in that draft.

The other thing that is really important to remember is that Jackson is not doing what he is doing in a vacuum. He has one of the best OL's in front of him and a good group of skill players to work with.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don't think this organization would've had the foresight to build an offense around Lamar Jackson to make him as wildly successful as he is there. Not only did they tailor the scheme to fit exactly what he's good at, they drafted two tightends the same year they took him and followed up this year by adding a speed threat.

Both elements a young quarterback with some accuracy issues but a great deep ball would need. Big body targets (that double as blockers) to give him a big catch radius' and then the top off the defense receiver.

Don't forget that they also NEVER neglect the offensive line and have a Hall of Famer on the roster already, drafted a road grading guard with Lamar Jackson and previously drafted Stanley who they developed into an All-Pro.

Lamar Jackson probably would've struggled a lot more in a crappier situation. That's not to say he wouldn't have still been dynamic but he would've played a lot more like Michael Vick did in Atlanta. Running for his life and throwing darts to crappy players who can't handle it.

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

These are great points. Magic Mike did NOTHING to build an offense around Darnold. Let's hope that Joe Douglas builds up the Jet's OL and gets some WR depth this offseason.

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I was all for drafting Saquon at 6 and trading back up for Jackson in the 1st, but this team would not have built around him the way Baltimore has.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its so important to realize this. Harbaugh knew this before they drafted him and was all in on building the team around him. Greg Roman, the OC who made Kapernik a viable QB, was more than able and willing to build around his talents. The Jets, under Mac at least and seemly under Gase, are far to inflexible of an organization to do this.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

There is a long list of QB's the jets should have drafted going back to the early 80's. The only 2 that i still get real crazy about are marino and favre. oh the pain.

What compounds the pain is that i know full well if either of those guys WERE taken by the jets chances are they would not have had the same career in NY. They would have excelled for other teams most likely.

LOL

boozer32 likes this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think it's too early to judge Gase. Apparently, he fought with Magic Mike about last year's draft and free agent signings. That's a good sign for the future of Gase with the Jets.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We can’t even build a competent team and hire a competent coach around a traditional quarterback, do you think we would’ve been able to pull it off with Lamar Jackson? The truth is not many organizations could. Baltimore is one of the very few who have the balls and front office talent to do it.

ColoradoContrails and jilozzo like this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Nelson at 6 and trading up for Lamar was the correct move. Not that I don’t love Sam but Nelson and Lamar would have been huge.

JetsNation06, NYJFOREVER and J-Raw24 like this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The Jets would have made him a kick returner.

12. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I get the Lamar love. Kids got a chance to take his team and win a superbowl. I don't get the comparison to rg3 as much anymore. When he was first coming out I had concerns about his passing and durability as a running qb. This year he has shown major improvement as a passer. Yes he could still be hurt, but he's doing very well. As someone stated I think Nelson would have been the correct pick if we wanted to move up and get Jackson later. But I still think Darnold could end up being the correct choice for us.

Running qbs are still flawed in the nfl. If Lamar can make the moves Russell Wilson made and become a legit pocket passer he will last. On the flip side he could end up being Vick or RG3 if he does get hit more. Right now team have to figure out how to contain him. If Vick didn't miss significant time due to the dog fighting he would have been injured earlier and not had the comeback in philly imo. And rg3 we all know the story. It's a gamble and it's still year 2. After year 5 we will know more.

If Douglas can build an offense around Darnold he could be our Rodgers or he could be Cutler. Jackson could be Wilson or RG3. It's to early to tell.

13. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Let's see if LJ can sustain this type of play. Neville Hewitt put a lick on him and he bounced back up, but, how many hits like that can he take?

However, I really do like watching him play.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No. There is only one QB in the last 3 years who would be successful on this dumpster fire of a team would be Watson. He is doing great things with an abysmal OL. Mahomes would be good, but I don't think he would be anything close to what he is now with Reid and that offense.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The Favre one really gets me as the Jets had the trade in place and the Cards backed out. Although, it is likely Favre would have partied his way out of NY. Marino not as bad as we got a good QB. The one that pisses me off is where Archie Manning said he told Parcells Peyton wanted to play for the Jets if he would commit to drafting him. The other one maybe should be on the list is Tom Brady. If Belicheck had not left would we have drafted Brady?

jilozzo likes this.
  16. J-Raw24

Houston has the 7th best o line... hardly abysmal.

17. dawinner127

According to what? Football outsiders has them ranked as the 27th OL in terms of pass protection. They are also ranked 22nd in the run game.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

18. J-Raw24

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The correct move was to take Watson or Mahomes in 2017. Then build the OL and add skill position players using the subsequent picks in that draft and future drafts. Our OL could have Pat Eflein, Frank Ragnow, and Orlando Brown. Dalvin Cook or Alvin Kamara could be our RB. What could've been........

20. dawinner127

You have that set on POSTSEASON. They are the 7th best OL in the playoffs. That site has them ranked as the 25th best OL if you switch it to regular season. That OL is abysmal, like I said.

EDIT - They also have 13 offensive holding penalties which has them ranked in the top 6 for least holding penalties. That offense does lead the league in false starts though, with 30.