If you want a good laugh...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rhodesfan16, Apr 10, 2009.

1. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

You should really read Sporting News Draft preview. over the past couple of years the one thing that sporting news has called that was good was Ryan Clady over Jake long...but after that the list is thin. I'll give you the tip of the iceberg

According to SN
    1st round prospects include Jared Cook, Sintim, Delmas, Kruger, and Moala
    I guess you could make a case for Sintim and maybe even Delmas. Also in the first the packers select Chris Wells
    The Broncos (bears pick) select Evander Hood
    The Pats select Paul Kruger
    The Eagles select Jared Cook
    The Lions select Moala

In the second round some of the big movers are
    Bills take Eric Wood (over Max Unger)
    Texans take Darcel McBath S, Texas Tech
    Bears take Brandon Tate...BEFORE HAKEEM NICKS
    Cowboys take Cody Brown over Clay Mathews who we take

I'd continue with the second round but it gets kind of crazy

In addition to that, according to SN
    Jarron Gilbert is the second most overrated player in the draft

I could go on but I would be here all night

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I actually like the Sporting News... I saw this too in the issue I got today.

Yeah, RB for the Packers seems a bit out there.

Fili Moala isn't a first rounder, but he's a guy that could go higher then we expect.

Actually, I like Jared Cook to the Eagles in the 1st a lot. That was my initial projection in my latest mock..

Eric Wood is underrated. It's not crazy to think that he'd go ahead of Unger.

McBath is underrated and could certainly go in the 2nd.

Hey, who saw Donnie Avery as the 1st WR taken in the 2008 draft?? Don't be surprised if someone like Brian Robiskie ends up in the 1st or Kenny Britt drops to our 2nd round pick.

Pre-injury Brandon Tate could have been a first round pick. It all depends on injury-evaluation. I think his ceiling could be the top of the 2nd round and his floor could be the mid-rounds. It's all about medical evaluations. He's one of the top kick-returners in this draft too, I believe.

Yeah, that's a tumble for Clay Matthews alright..

Jarron Gilbert is overrated by people like us, who think he's going to go in the top half of the first round, but that's where it stops.

The draft never works out the way we think. There are always a lot of surprises we NEVER see coming, so don't scoff at it completely. You can disagree of course, but there are plenty of solid "surprise projections" there.

3. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

yeah there is good stuff but its really out there and stuff I really cannot see happening

4. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

SN always has a very unique draft preview magazine. They just get their opinions and stick by them. Whether they're way off or right on, I respect that they feel that strongly about certain things. They have Brandon Tate as the 4th rated WR in the draft, and compare him to TO.

** And they list just about every position in the draft as an A in value, except linebacker, both in the B- or C range. That's just kind of head scratching.

5. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

what players did Sporting news have us taking?

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jared Cook, Paul Kruger, and Evander Hood could all go in the first round. Moala is the only guy that doesn't make sense in the first...

7. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Kruger isn't going in the first round. As to Unger falling, if he can really play 4 out of the five OL positions like people say than he would be a great second round pick. In 07 we all saw what happens to a team with OL problems.

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Brandon Tate in the 2nd is preposterous, altho I think he's gonna rebound from his injury and play pretty well in the pros. He's still a huge question mark with that injury to take with a 2nd rounder

9. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

They have Maybin going in the middle of the second. It's a joke of a publication.

10. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

It won't happen, but brandon tate was a much better college player than hakeem nicks.

11. JetFanInPA

Actually, I could see him falling to the 2nd round.. He's extremely undersized, inexperienced, one-dimensional and ran a 40 in the high 4.8s..

12. JetFanInPA

Yeah... Brandon Tate had 46 career recpetions and 8 touchdowns in four seasons at UNC. Hakeem Nicks had 181 receptions and 21 touchdowns in three seasons at UNC..

Yeah.... Brandon Tate was a much better college player than Hakeem Nicks.....

13. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Extremely undersized? He played last year at around 227, but bulked up to the mid 250s for the combine. Inexperienced: yes, but he to say he's a workout warrior isn't true at all, the guys simply performed last year. And at his pro day, Maybin ran a 4.59. If virtually every prognosticator likes Maybin's as a pick in the teens, calling him a 2nd round pick is way off board. To say the same of, say, Kenny Britt or Darius Butler, not so much.

14. JetFanInPA

Did I call him a 2nd round pick? No. I said it wouldn't be a complete shock if he did. Yeah, he bulked up to almost 250 and ran a 4.88.. In fairness though, he ran better at his pro day but it seems that everybody runs better at their pro days. And where do you get workout warrior from? And throw in the very poor track record of Penn St defensive linemen in the NFL in recent years and you have some factors that COULD cause a guy to slip into the 2nd round.

It's the draft.. Stranger things have happened.

15. Section109Row15