If the top five plays out like this, where does that leave the Jets?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mexican Buc, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

1. Miami ? Chris Long, DE Virginia
    2. St. Louis ? Vernon Gholston, DE Ohio State
    3. Atlanta ? Matt Ryan, QB Boston College
    4. Oakland ? Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
    5. Kansas City ? Jake Long, OT Michigan
    6. N.Y. Jets ? ???

Thoughts?

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Mex.......believe it our not....that's the exact order of my own mock, that creates a dilemma for the Jets. The two best DTs are available, but their not the best fit for the Jets.

Hopefully, a Team like...Cincy, New Orleans(not a Huge need) or Carloina would want to trade up for Ellis or Dorsey.

If the Jets are forced to make the pick....4 choices I predict.....McKelvin, DRC, Rivers or Mendenhall. Come draft time, IMO, Mendenhall is a top 10 pick.

3. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I think we'd go corner, but hopefully we'd be able to trade down a few slots for someone trying to get a DT.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think Dorsey is a lock to go in the top 5 now. If we were forced to reach for anyone at the 6 spot at this point I prefer Harvey or Mendenhall, most likely Harvey. Although I do think the trade down scenario is a very realistic possibilty with the DTs on board..

5. bamajetsfan

bamajetsfan New Member

Trade with detroit who also needs a Dt. we draft menenhall or CB and get Roy williams and a 3rd.

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

If we can trade with Denver or Detroit so they can get the jump on one of the DT's, that would be ideal.

However, if that's not possible and we're forced to choose, I'll go with one of Harvey, Groves, Mendenhall, Cromartie, McKelvin or Merling. Probably in that order. I don't think Groves gets enough credit on this board or anywhere. The guy would've been almost as high as Gholston on many boards if he weren't battling through an injury this whole past season. I wouldn't mind if we made a bit of a reach and took him.

7. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I would take Dorsey in a heartbeat if that's how it played out. My fear is that Dorsey is in the top 5 instead of Ryan. That's when it really gets ugly.

8. Jmart

Jmart New Member

Yeah, I think I would try to trade with someone to move back a few spots, but if no one bites I would possibly draft Dorsey and force them to make a trade. Anyone think this could work?

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If that happens the Jets will take Ryan. Personally, I don't think those will be the first six teams picking though. At least not in that order.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Dorsey has some issues with his knees. Given the Jets problems with D-Rob and Vilma I really don't want to take another guy with chronic knee issues. It may not mean anythung in the long run but he may gain 15 pounds to play in the NFL and break down right away.

I'd be really leery of taking him in the first round let alone the top 10.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even think Dorsey is on the Jets board at all. There is absolutely no fit for him in our D. I do think though with him having a good showing in his workout he has solidified a spot in the top 5.

12. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

If Dorsey is on thje board at 6 we would have great trade down equity.

If we are stuck with the pick, I think we will take the best corner, who is Dominique Rodgers Cromartie.

13. gigidygo8

gigidygo8 New Member

no way bro, I say lion would want the pick so they can get mendenhall for their empty running back spot, so trade it to them for roy williams and there 1st

14. gigidygo8

gigidygo8 New Member

the lions* sorry about that

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I would take that deal in a second but I doubt there is any chance they would offer it.

16. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

McShay just said on NFL live that Gholston would be a reach in the top 6. Take that as you may.

17. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I was watching that too. With this draft class and our needs, he's not a reach because Ellis and Dorsey are literally off our board and he's the next best guys. However, I do still think he'd be a reach to the Rams or Dolphins. They'd be better off with C Long or J Long for the Phins and Dorsey or one of those 2 for the Rams. I don't think he's much of a reach for the Raiders or us, although with as much money they have invested in the D, Oakland should go offense with the #4 or trade down if they can.

By the way if Detroit offered the #15 and Williams for the #6, I'd absolutely do it. It makes sense for both teams because it guarantees that they'll get their RB (McFadden, Mendenhall, and Stewart could all realistically be gone by their pick) and they'll get rid of a guy who wants out, and we'll get much needed WR depth and be able to choose someone who fits better comfortably.

#17 MobiusOne28, Mar 28, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Cincinnati (9) could use a DT opposite Domata Peko...

New Orleans (10) could use some youth at DT.

Denver (12) needed a DT and since Marcus Thomas is on the wrong side of the law again, needs a DT even more...

Carolina (13) just traded Kris Jenkins to the Jets and could use a starter

Chicago (14) Even the bears could use a DT opposite Tommie Harris, but this one is a long shot.

The possibilities for trading down are there if Dorsey and/or Ellis are around...

19. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

If we take Ryan, I will BOO loudly and storm out of wherever the hell I am for the draft party, braking things along the way...

20. Herman Edwards

Herman Edwards New Member

don, the above scenario has ryan being taken by atlanta with the 3rd overall, otherwise i would agree with you that ryan would be the best available player.

=============

if the top 5 picks play out like the op said, we'd have to pray for a trade down partner.