If the Johnsons sold and moved the team...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Nov 25, 2018.

?

If the Jets were sold and moved to another city would you still support them or follow a new NY team

1. Would still be a Jets fan no matter what

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Screw them! I'm following the new NY franchise.

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. I'm not sure. I'll decide if/when it happens.

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  4. I'll still follow them, sort of, but will also follow the new NY team.

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I might get killed for even posting this but I'm curious. If the Johnsons sold the team and the Jets moved to another city, would you stick with them as a Jet fan or give your allegiance to a new team?

Speaking for myself, that would be the straw that broke the camel's back. And in truth, it might be the best thing to happen since I and many others can't seem to actually give up rooting for them willingly.

I'm including a "Not Sure" response in the poll because I know it's a really hard choice. And also an option to indicate that you'll still remain a Jet fan, but will pledge allegiance to the new NY team that replace them.

What's the verdict?

twown likes this.
  2. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I root for the New York Jets.

I support the home team.

If the Jets ever moved far outside NY my support would end.

Red Menace, abc and westiedog1 like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Who's buying ..??? A legit question as well

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

So I have a perfectly valid excuse to stop rooting for this dumpster fire of a franchise? If they moved I'd probably just become a casual NFL fan to be honest. Unfortunately I love this team and I don't think I'd be able to become a fan of another team without faking it.

K'OB, hastygreen and CotcheryFan like this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If they moved to Santorini I would become a season ticket holder.

6. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd probably give up on being a football fan. I don't do fantasy football and I don't really care about college outside of which players the Jets are interested in. I'm not remotely interested in teams NOT named the "NY" Jets and players that wear the Green and White. My football fandom is an extension of my Jets fandom rather than the other way around.

#6 hastygreen, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It depends on where they'd move the team. If it's somewhere in the NY metropolitan area, I'd still be a fan. This is why I didn't abandon my Nets fandom when they moved to Brooklyn. If they move to some place far away, then there's no way I continue to be a fan. I'd still follow the game, but there'd be no team I could root for.

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

You didn't have my option - neither. I certainly wouldn't root for the newly-named Boise Potato Buds, and I wouldn't root for a replacement team either.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I'm the lone Jets fan in my entire family. My dad, brother, and uncle (dad's brother) are die hard Giants fans. My mom is from Pittsburgh and so she and her family are obviously rabid Steelers fans. My wife is from the Philly area, so she and her family are all Birds fans.

I have a tinfoil hat conspiracy that the Johnsons are trying to get the Jets moved to London. They keep hiring inept coaches and GMs, are treating their fans like shit, charging outrageous prices for tickets, and generally making the team a stench in everyone's nostrils so that we don't want to watch them on TV or go to the games. Meanwhile, it's obvious that Goddell will give his left nut to get teams in London (and probably Mexico City too). Woody is the ambassador to the UK, so he's in prime position to talk to the right people to get first dibs on a London NFL team. So, he makes his own team a joke that fans will no longer care about. Then, citing low game attendance and TV viewership, requests a move to London.

I hate the Patriots, but I might have to become a fan as a final fuck you to the Jets if such a thing ever happened.

Jets1035 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I don’t mean to be that guy but the Johnson’s would still own 50% of the JV that owns MetLife and they’d be on the hook for a shitload of $$ associated with that.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't answer, my friend, because I don't think you gave enough poll answer options. Options #2 and #4 are totally irrelevant to me because I never started rooting for the Jets because they were from NY anyway, even though they are intimately connected to NY now. In option #1, because the team was sold, I'd be more hopeful that they might start winning, but that doesn't mean that they'd remain "the Jets." They might be forced to change their name and uni colors.

I think if that happened, my days as a fan would be over, although I might adopt a wait and see approach.

K'OB likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Shit.. it does not even take the team moving, keep thisnstaff innplace this offseason and I will already not give a fuck about next year in April

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Great question!

Honestly, my brain just went blank. I'm totally nonplused. I suppose it might depend on whether we instantly got a new team in New York.

I don't relate to the whole idea of genuinely switching emotional allegiance. I'm not judging it, I just can't understand it. It feels like choosing a new mom or something.

But maybe this hypothetical would do the trick.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What the hell is this? The team is not moving anywhere regardless of who owns it or what it's called. Why would anyone pay three billion dollars for a team and then pay to move it out of the richest sports market in the world? Does anyone actually believe the NFL would approve any such thing?

abc likes this.
  15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It may seem weird, considering I live in the UK, but I don't think I could support the London Jets. Or the London anything, for that matter. This is the sport I know as 'American football'. I don't want a team in London.

abc likes this.
  16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I followed them to jersey, what more pain could they possibly inflict?

Biggs and stinkyB like this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Then I can root for that model bar-setting local franchise with a clear conscience....... THE..... JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS :confused::eek:

or just not waste my sundays in front of a tv anymore

jco2007 and CBG like this.
  18. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

The only way I’d root for them is if they became the Newark Jets.

I guess I’d root for the Steelers or the Giants or something. I wouldn’t follow them out of the area though.

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The better question would be = If Woody and Chris did not sell the team and stayed the course would you still root for the New York Jets ? It is awfully hard to root for these guys now-a-days.

jco2007 likes this.
  20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Considering every home game is like a away game, not like they really have a home anyways

boozer32 and CBG like this.