If the CP+LC trade happens...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by nyj55, Dec 17, 2007.

1. nyj55

nyj55 Member

i haven't seen a thread on this so if there is one, please ignore this. But if the trade with the chiefs goes down, who would you want to pick up with our 2 #1's. I'd post mine but i know i'll be flamed so i wait it out a few posts

2. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Matt Ryan?

3. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyway we'll be able to get a top 10 pick for a 31 year old backup QB and a great but beat-up wide receiver, but just for fun I'd take McFadden and then either Chris Long or Gholston.

4. nyj55

nyj55 Member

....yes. Honestly i know its tough to judge from the few games KC has played behind an awful line with his best receivers hurt (and i know you can't really compare NFL competition to college competition) but going from watching Ryan to watching the Jets you can't help but notice a difference out there. I guess i'll just go with my picks: DMac and Ryan in the first. Ryan for the reasons above and DMac because i watched the Vikes game tonight. I hate to admit it but the Jets are probably the most boring team to watch in the NFL and truthfully i watched MNF tonight just because AP was playing. He didn't have a great game, but just watching him play was exciting. McFadden could have the same effect on the Jets. There are much more pressing needs but these two in green and white next year and i think we will be well on our way to being relevant again.
    NOTE: the only way i would do this however, is if we can grab a passrusher (Groves in 2nd, is that too far-fetched? or Suggs signing) and an OL (Andrews?)

I'm looking to see what else you guys are thinking should this trade go down

5. nyj55

nyj55 Member

You forgot that Herman Edwards coaches this team, don't count anything out with him

6. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if he'd still be around, but I'd love to Laurinitis paired with Harris at ILB.

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

with our pick I would take Chris Long and with the chiefs pick, I would take Jake Long.

8. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

chances are, that both are gone before we pick for the first time.

my picks would be McFadden and Gholston/Groves

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Either McFadden and Gholston/Groves or Jake Long and Gholston/Groves.

10. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Where did you hear this rumor?

If we were to go QB, I would take Brian Brohm over the others. He reminds me of Peyton Manning. Matt Ryan just doesn't have the pocket presence to be a great QB. Case in point: the 2 Vtech games.

If we have 2 first round picks: McFadden/Ghoulston and Calius Campbell/Kentwan Balmer. I think Campbell is too much of a physical freak to pass. He's so tall that teaching him how to keep containment would be as simple as telling him to push his guy backwards while looking over the linemen.

11. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

12. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Wow... I think it's speculation. Hope it happens though. Also, I didn't realize the chiefs pick in the top 10. Would have to go with Laurinitis if we did the trade.

13. MGood41

MGood41 New Member

If this trade were to happen, I would like to see the Jets get Gholston and maybe take a look at Desean Jackson. The Jets have had no speed with their receivers in years and also if Jackson pans out it would help in Clemens' development as a quarterback.

14. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

I would be sad to see them go but we could really rake in the draft picks this year. If we bundle Chad and Coles to the chiefs for their first rounder (probably in the teens) and then ship Vilma off to Minny for a late first or a 2nd and 3rd, we could really bring in a new class of guys to help redefine the face of our team. If we trade up again, which I highly rec. we do to guarantee we get certain players we could end up with three first rounders at most and really ensure the future of this team.

Ultimately, whoever said the Jets are boring to watch, is correct. We need a playmaker like DMac. We also need a LG and a DE. An OLB wouldn't hurt either. But what can we get in free agency? I say we go for Faneca and Suggs. If we can get both of them that just changed our draft needs dramatically. We could then go after DMac without remorse as well as Gholston and/or Desean Jackson.

15. nyj55

nyj55 Member

All emotions aside I think that if this trade does happen, it could be the best thing for the jets. This team is starting to go in a new direction. CP and Coles were the faces of the old (herm days) Jets and getting rid of them is pretty much cutting ties with the old Jets (D-rob too but thats a different topic altogether). With the amount of picks we would have in the draft we can really shape this club the way we want it. Another playmaker and a starter or two can change the way this team is perceived (boring as hell) while at the same time addressing the needs to fill holes and make us better overall. This draft IMO can be the defining moment of the Tangini era and will determine what direction we go in the next 5-8 years

16. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

That would be 1 helluv an offseason. Chad + Coles to KC for their 1st rounder plus Vilma shipped someplace else for a late 1st/early 2nd. My God. That would change the landscape of this team in a hurry. Only then would it be OK w/me to watch the team go through another season of growing pains. Personally, I would be all in favor of it, because in my mind I have cut all ties to Chad & Vilma (as much as it hurts) and decided that its time to move on w/guys like D. Harris and K. Clemens. In addition, we stockpile draft picks that we definitely need to move on and move on in a HURRY.

#16 wewantsapp, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  17. rillo

rillo New Member

LOL @ Brohm, Ryan or McFadden

18. YankeeJetFan1206

YankeeJetFan1206 New Member

That'd be a really crazy trade, but I'd go
    McFadden/Long/Gholston and then Gholston/Laurinaitis/trade down for more picks.

19. Quack

Quack New Member

As much as I don't like Long, I would grab him with the first pick with the confidence of taking Gholston with the second. With Coleman-Robertson-Long on the line and Thomas-Harris-Hobson-Gholston at LB, I would think that our defense would be upgraded in a huge way with the infusion of a young pass rush from the two draftees and Thomas returning to the weak side where he was most effective. Additionally, the movement of Hobson to the inside next to Harris would give us better inside run defense (Ever see Hobson try to pass rush? He doesn't speed rush, he bull rushes, and moderately effectively too. If the man can push back a tackle in the pass situation, he can stop a guard and plug the hole in the run).

Of course, this doesn't solve the problem of a horribly decrepit offense with no line and our #1 receiver gone. Hopefully we can get a pair of guards with our second and third round picks combined with free agency. With a strong running game and a killer defense, I would love this team even more.

Of course, this is all hinging on a ridiculous trade that will in all likelihood never happen. Nice to dream, though.

20. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

chris long, mcfadden