If Jets draft TL with #1 would you trade assets for Penei Sewell?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Wut?, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I know there are a TON of positions to fill, but if we have becton and Sewell protecting TL he will be more successful. It’s easier to sign decent WRs and maybe draft them in year two. I think the O LINE is the most important unit to build aside from DE to line up with QW. Sure we need WR, corners etc, but it’s going to take a few years to get “there”. We should learn from other young QBs who get knocked around and out of this league because they have no one protecting them.

2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

No. Fant has been fine this year. Interior OL is a bigger nerve.

Leicester Jet, REVISion and IDFjet like this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I say no. It would take wayyy too much to trade back up to 2-4, where I think Sewell would be drafted, for me. I'd rather stay at the Seahawks pick and take best IOL/WR available.

Brook! likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

wut? Hell no! You don't burn draft capital to move up for a RT. Fant is not the problem on the OL. I haven't done much research yet, but on first glance, this doesn't appear to be a strong class of OTs. They have Fant under contract for 2 more years, so they have plenty of time to find his replacement. They should be able to draft his replacement with a lower 1st round, 2nd round, and maybe even a 3rd or 4th round pick if the new CS has a quality OL Coach and the right blocking scheme.

Besides, the OL isn't the only answer. A QB needs quality weapons around him in order to succeed. It doesn't matter how much time he has to stand in the pocket, if his WRs can't get open or can't catch the ball when they do. Mims looked good, and I believe in him, but he is still unproven. Like QB, LT, and Edge, top WRs generally need to be drafted, not traded for or signed in FA. This coming year may be an exception, and Douglas may be able to sign a topnotch WR in FA. He should still draft one pretty high. A good WR corps goes at least 4-5 deep, if not 6 deep.

Having Sewell at RT would be a luxury, and rebuilding teams can't have "luxuries" when they have so many holes and needs. It would also be wasting Sewell's talents and career to play him at RT.

#4 NCJetsfan, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  5. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I disagree. We need to build a wall. I don’t care where they play. I get that a center needs to be a bit more agile but get your tackles and pick a center. Draft a corner or two. Don’t waste another pick in a running back yet. I wouldn’t draft another wide receiver, would rather sign a decent one for this year.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Don't "waste" a pick on a RB? How is that "wasting" a pick. Perine is not an NFL starting caliber RB imo, or at least he wouldn't be on my team. He might be a good backup. The QB needs a good rushing attack to help take pressure off of him and needs RBs who can function as safety valves and for screens to slow down the pass rush. Douglas can build a wall without using a top 3 pick on a RT. That's an insane waste of draft capital, is passing up other needs or a haul of picks, and in years 5-10, a huge portion of the Jets cap would go to those two OTs. That's terrible roster building and handling of the cap.

mrjet80 likes this.
  7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

We need all the picks we can get at this point. This team has more holes than an onion bag...

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

No chance. We'd have to give up way too much and we need guard help more than tackle anyway. Very easy to find quality guards late in the first round with our Seahawks pick.

Wut? likes this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I'd like to add that RB is a huge need in 2021 let alone a "waste of a pick". I believe a RB will be drafted relatively high. You're right Perine has shown some good things but I do not see him carrying the load for any NFL team. A good change of pace perhaps....and what else to the Jets have on the roster going into next year at RB other than Perine?

Maybe somehow the Jets would be able to get a second round pick for Darnold? If so that gives them 6 picks in the top 3 rounds and JD better make good use of those picks...….

Assuming the Jets draft TL # 1 I can see a guard or a WR being drafted with the Seahawks pick. Then the other position being taken at the top of Round 2. I'm assuming a CB is selected rather high along with a RB and we can't discount EDGE at some point. Perhaps JD can swing a deal for Judon in FA.

This team needs a lot but the primary draft needs after TL are WR, IOL, RB, CB, and EDGE - not necessarily in that order.

CotcheryFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

OT in back to back years doesn’t make sense to me at all from a team building standpoint. You have 2 good ones for a couple of years then you’re forced to let one go because you have to pay both at the same time. Aside from that trading up doesn’t really make sense.” Considering all of the needs. I really don’t get people’s obsession with Sewell, when Becton has looked so good.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Maybe if he fell pretty far, like Tunsil did.

But to move from 26-30 to like 3 or 4 will cost so much. I'd rather just take a G and a WR with 1b and 2.

REVISion likes this.