I know it's early, but .......

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Lon Chaney, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

My guy Nick Perry looks to be the real deal.

I know there were some other people on here who were also in the Perry boat with me. He's impressed at camp so far and looked downright nasty at times last night. A sack and a holding penalty in 2 quarters is pretty damn good.

I wasn't a fan of the Coples pick and I hope he works out, but I really wanted this guy.

2. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Oh yeah, he's going to be a stud. It made absolutely no sense why he wasn't a higher prospect. You can just see a few plays from him and know. Hell, his 2nd play as a pro he bullrushed the tackle, lost him, and got a sack. Strength + speed + physicality = stud. It's not hard.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I liked Nick Perry a lot last year.

4. Lon Chaney

And again, this is nothing against Coples. But like GH said, I never understood why Perry was behind guys like Ingram and Jones. He has polished moves for a rookie. I said during draft season that Perry had the most NFL ready pass rush repertoire out of any OLB or DE.

5. Sir

Sir New Member

agreed. I was and still am on the Nick Perry bandwagon....He's going to have a long and very successful career.....but Coples will too.

6. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

I was a Perry fan as well. I didnt understand why people had him ranked higher. From the assessments of others I think it had something to do with lack of raw physical ability. It was a rather ridiculous assessment

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Not a knock on Perry but Coples got five tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, batted a pass and drew a holding penalty, which is even better.

8. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Coples will play all over the line ad wreck havoc. Enjoy what we have

9. Lon Chaney

Again, I'm not knocking Coples.

But, the majority of Coples impact plays came against backups. That batted down pass? Go back and watch it again. The QB threw it into his helmet.

Coples looked great. He is an asset because he can be moved all over the line. But Perry is that edge rusher that Jets have been searching for.

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

u are right except for one thing.....

i am not sure if the jets are actually searching for that edge rusher. thats the frustrating part. they have dinked and doinked with the effort but i mean geez, go get a stud rusher and be done with it.

many folks, including myself, thought the most recent draft was an excellent opp for that.

they did have irvin (seattle) on the radar in april but that obviously didn't pan out.

11. Lon Chaney

You're right.

I actually think the big miss was last year. Mo Wilk may be a solid player, but Brooks Reed was sitting there to be had. Dude had 6 sacks in the regular season after starting in week 7. Then added 3.5 more in the playoffs.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I was a big Brooks Reed fan going into 2011's draft, his motor is always in high gear.

That being said, Wilk was a better value and need, with Ellis moving on to NE. A lot of scouts had Wilk going into the top 15, so he was a steal in late Rd 1.

IMO, Wilk's ceiling is a lot higher than Reed's...time will tell.

13. Lon Chaney

I agree, but IMO the need for that rush OLB last year was much more prevalent than DE. The Jets could've drafted a guy like Karl Klug in the 4th to step in and fill that role.

Let me make it clear: I am not saying Karl Klug is better than Wilkerson.

What I'm saying is Reed and Klug would've been better than say WIlkerson and Powell.

14. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

The two factors working against Perry to the Jets that we all probably didn't truly understand headed to the draft are:

1. They really don't seem to put a premium on the edge rusher position and
    2. They wanted to involve a lot more 43 looks this year.

If they didn't think getting a Perry type player was important then obviously his value is lessened, but add in the additional emphasis on the 43, where Perry isn't nearly as good a fit, and it kind of clears everything up.

15. Lon Chaney

Good points GH.

If they are really going to play more 43, then Perry wouldn't make sense. But I still think he could've came here and stated at OLB right away.