Hypothetical: If Saleh is fired at the end of the season, who next?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Linebacker712, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I understand that the SOP for the Jets seems to be to give coaches at least 2 seasons no matter how badly they do, and I'd imagine that will probably be the case with Saleh, for better or worse.

However, IF Saleh doesn't last past this season, who specifically would people here want for the next HC?

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Someone with either prior NFL or College HC experience. No more newbies.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

For the record I don't think Saleh and Douglas are getting fired. They will get at least one more year and probably two. But if Saleh does get fired I would hope they bring someone in with NFL experience with a proven track record of winning. Who that would be I have no idea. As for college coaches I would only want Harbaugh if he were to leave Michigan. He has proven he can win in the NFL. I wouldn't want any college coaches who have never coached in the NFL, See Jacksonville Jaguars as a perfect example of that.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Head coaches with NFL experience and a proven track record of winning don't take a job with a team that has been at the bottom of the league for multiple consecutive years. Successful coaches aren't looking for rehab projects.

Beggars can't be choosers.

6. Cman68

Well, I added College just as an additional source of HC talent. I agree we don't want a guy from a Div III college coming in. That's the equivalent of another newbie. I wouldn't mind giving an established out of work former HC a shot. At least he won't have to learn how to do the job while doing the job. We should have hired McCarthy when we had the chance. If nothing else, at least he brings credibility with him.

7. Cman68

Kinda like the last chic at the bar... I think you can find former HC's willing to take the job if for no other reason than to prove to themselves and the league they can be successful. Egos are a powerful incentive. The trick would be to find one that doesn't require total control.

8. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

If a coach with a proven track record in the NFL is available, I agree that's a no-brainer. I'm skeptical that happens very often, but I confess I do not follow the market for NFL head coaches well enough to say whether it ever happens.

SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

No 'CEO type that oversees the whole team'? We're done with that now?

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

When the jets change coaches again (probably after 2022 season) , I hope they bring in a disciplinarian who gets PISSED when they lose and then calls out his players. When Tampa Bay lost last week to Washington, their coach was visibly angry and called his players and the coaches "dumb." First we had Todd Bowles who would weakly mumble after every loss about watching the tape. Now we have Saleh constantly saying after every loss that we "have to play better." Show some fire. Call out your team! Nobody LIKES losing, but the jets to me have morphed into an organization that seemingly "doesn't mind" losing, rationalizing that they did their best and played hard. That kind of mindset is NOT what you want in a team.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think they will get fired either. They shouldn't, especially Douglas. Douglas should get another bite at the apple. He's helped the team in too many other ways. Anyone who thinks he should get fired is clueless imo.

There are no former NFL HCs out there with a record of winning just waiting to be hired. They got fired from their previous job for a reason. What they have in experience is lost with their poor processes and results. If they could develop talent, motivate their players, come up with winning strategies and systems, they would have won. One would have to demonstrate like Pete Carroll did that the he had sat down for a year or two and totally rethought his coaching philosophy and then showed positive results at some level.

Harbaugh is not leaving Michigan, but even if he did, he could be the same kind of disaster as Urban Myer in Jacksonville. He's an asshole and unless he clearly shows that he has learned and changed his attitude/personality, he wouldn't last long with the Jets or in NYC

I'm tired of all the rookie HCs too, especially former NFL Coordinators. They have to totally learn how to be a HC. Collegiate HCs have to learn the NFL ropes, but at least they have their routines and ways of coaching established and don't have to learn how to be a HC from scratch. I wish there were a veteran HC out there like Andy Reid who was just jonesing for a chance to be the HC of the Jets or even willing to take the job, but there isn't. The Jets, and thus we fans, are going to have to learn what it's like to build and establish a winning culture. This team has been bad for too long, and had too little talent. If we could have hired a great GM after Tuna left and in turn a great HC, we would't be where we are now. Sadly, it's going to take time to build the kind of team we want. This was no quick turnaround team. Hopefully, Saleh can still get it done, but if not, hopefully the roster will have enough talent that he will be able to hire a topnotch collegiate HC like Iowa St.'s Matt Campbell or Kirby Smart, or someone of their ilk.

13. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Rex. Bring back Rex. Let him pick his players and run the style of offense he wants. I don't care if it's boring; at least the team will be competitive most weeks.

Rockinz and boozer32 like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Harbaugh is 44-19-1 and took a team to the Super Bowl in his second season (three conference championship games in three years) after the franchise missed the playoffs for 8 straight seasons and didn’t have a winning record in any of them.

Tell me again how he’s anything close to Urban Meyer who never coached in the NFL? And then you go on to cite career college football coaches in Matt Campbell and of all people ducking Kirby Smart? Bro. Have you ever watched a Georgia offense?

Douglas shouldn’t be fired. But to say he’s helped this franchise out a lot is silly. Saleh also shouldn’t be fired unless we lost a lot more 45-17 games the rest of the year.

Assholes are usually good football coaches too for what it’s worth. But I’m not sure why “he’s an asshole.”

Ralebird, IIMeanDeanII and abyzmul like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I'm certain that we could find a retread out there, but I'm not interested in hiring some former HC who was awful and had a losing record. He would have to demonstrate clearly what he had done wrong in his earlier HC job(s) and explain in detail how he was going to do things differently this time. Even then, he'd have to do the salesman job of the Century. I'd rather go with a successful collegiate HC. The thing is, I doubt the Jets will be able to hire either a proven, successful collegiate HC or a successful former NFL HC. There are just too few of them, and why would they want to be saddled with the sadsack Jets organization? Why wouldn't they want complete control? In that way they could try to ensure that they would succeed or fail on their own terms and not be dependent upon someone else.

With our history, and with all the questions still surrounding Zach and our young players, I think that anyone would have a hard time finding a topnotch HC to take over this team.

tomdeb likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Nobody with anything to lose is going to coach the Jets if they bail on a rookie HC 1 season into a rebuild.

It doesn't matter what the situation is, this job would be considered kryptonite.

17. NCJetsfan

I agree. I'm sick of "players" HCs. They never succeed for long, and often only after following an oppressive disciplinarian. Players coaches are why teams beat themselves with penalties, mental errors and sloppy play. Disciplinarians demand accountability and that things be done correctly.

As far as the organizational mindset, you may or may not be right. I think we have that kind of mindset now because it's the only rational, reasonable one to have when one has a rookie HC, rookie OC, rookie QB, so many rookies and 2nd year players seeing significant minutes on the field, and a team that has had so little talent on it for years due to horrible drafting and FA moves over the previous 8-10 years. In addition to having the necessary talent, it's going to take a HC and GM that will not accept losing and who will demand winning to turn things around.

Linebacker712 and tomdeb like this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Let's brting back the guy was successful with Mangin's players, but awful when he acquired his own talent. Yes. Let's do this. I'm in

FJF likes this.
  19. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I agree. Plus, a good disciplinarian knows how to balance his fury with his support. Some guys get motivated if you encourage them, and others are more motivated if you put your boot up their ass. Lombardi and Parcells are good examples of that. Also, disciplinarian coaches don't have "their guy" at any position, who can do no wrong. Either perform or move aside for someone who can.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We’ve gotten rid of all of Rex’s players so it might be the right time.