How's your Smoothie game?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Feb 3, 2023.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And no, I'm not talking about your favorite order at Smoothie King, although they surprised me with some of their legit blends.

I am up to 9-10 smoothies a week, although I go really light on the sugar and pile on the spinach and kale.

What's your favorite blend?

1 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1/3 cup premium coconut milk
    frozen spinach
    frozen kale
    frozen avocado
    2 dates
    3 tbl flax seed meal
    1/2 cup chia seeds
    frozen blueberries
    frozen bananas
    2 tbl peanut butter powder
    1/2 cup hot water
    a bunch of supplements

I'm taking a huge chance that you haven't all devolved into fat unhealthy drunks.

Brook! and stinkyB like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That recipe looks like work and my refrigerator would kill most of the green stuff.

I mostly do a banana, cup of fat-free yogurt and 1% milk to fill.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

4. Br4d

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Holy smokes, that's a helluva a smoothie.

I can't compete. I do start each day with a spin on bulletproof coffee. Starts with whole bean coffee that I vary, but try to keep organic. Add a prebiotic sumthin-or-other powder, collagen peptide powder, a dash of psyllium fiber, a squirt of MCT oil and a slab of grassfed butter - all whipped to hell and gone with a stick blender. Not sure what any of it does, but it makes me start the day feeling productive. The down-side - not the easiest thing drinking a tall cup of steaming hot mud.

6. Br4d

Dates definitely help with the texture in a smoothy giving it a pleasing consistency. Two sounds like about the right number. More than that and the sugar gets out of control.

Also, Hershey makes a sugar-free chocolate syrup that carries the flavor very well.

7. abyzmul

I almost bought some Bulletproof coffee on Amazon not long ago with some of that ghee sludge, on the recommendation of a hot gym chick, but I think I opted for a jar of strawberry flavored sea moss gel that I plop into the blender for extra taste. As a bonus, it gives me a nice, shimmering coat of skin.

Br4d likes this.
  8. abyzmul

I use them as a sweetener, they are nature's caramel. They were the reason I got a Vitamix, they destroyed my Ninja.

Br4d likes this.
  9. Dierking

Well done.

10. Br4d

In my mixes they tend to give the smoothie a pudding-like consistency which is very pleasing if the sugar level is low enough. It's not a custard-like consistency because the texture is just a bit thicker than a custard.

I'll make two smoothies with a banana, a cup of non-fat plain yogurt, a couple of dates, a tablespoon of wheat germ and two cups of 1% milk and it'll be a creamy pudding-like consistency. In the summer it'll be cup and half of 1% milk and 6 ice cubes.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If I lived my life three times I wouldn't have sinned enough to deserve that kind of punishment.

12. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's considered a smoothie, but, I recently started using Ka'Chava. 120z of water, a handful of ice, and 2 scoops of Ka"Chava. I also throw in a banana, and/or blueberries/strawberries. Blend in a nutribullet.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Nice.... that's a SERIOUS smoothie, and a bit too involved for my morning zombie status.

But I've been on the the breakfast magic bullet smoothie kick for at least a year or 2 now. No real recipe, generally just "What's in the fridge/freezer/closet?":
    Usually involves, but I sure as hell dont measure anything ;)

Oatmeal
    Orange juice
    spinach
    blueberries / blackberries
    a banana
    Fresh turmeric and ginger
    a scoop of yogurt (vanilla?)

coming off the bench on occassion (whatever was on sale at the store or what's left to replace other stuff)
    kale
    scoop of peanut butter?
    Frozen coconut & pineapple
    No OJ, then cranberry or apple juice
    chia / flax seeds are good too (but I rarely have them around)
    whatever's in the fridge that I wont have time to cook before it spoils...

#13 stinkyB, Feb 4, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    abyzmul likes this.
  14. Dierking

Some great intel in this thread. Luckily for me, I'm still young and healthy enough to still go with solid foods, knock wood. But I'm gonna bookmark this for future reference.

Ralebird and abyzmul like this.
  15. abyzmul

I use minced ginger a lot when it's a boring blend, it helps that it is a natural stimulant too, can skip the green tea.

Man, I love turmeric but the only thing I use it in is golden milk, and I have a special pot and utensils because that shit turns everything yellow.. Blueberries, bananas, spinach and kale are in all of mine. (although the only place I can find frozen kale is Amazon Fresh)

I cheat on mine though, as soon as I get new bags of fruit and veggies and supplements, I break them up into blend packs ( gallon ziplocs), then just dump the whole thing in the Vitamix when I wake up.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. abyzmul

I heard good things about ka'chava, but the first time I used it I almost blew out the back of my pants driving to work, no more ka',chava. Maybe I used too much.

Savatage likes this.
  17. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Haha! Yeah, for sure! I'm getting used to it now, but, there are times I sound like 76 trombones.

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yeah Turmeric stains the F- out of everything including my finger tips.... but unfortunately I have injury induced arthritis that rivals dudes 20 years my senior, so I'll take all the natural anti-inflamatories you can give me.... (also add a dash of cayenne pepper on occasion for this reason).

I usually use all fresh fruits and veggies, mostly because Grocery store by me there really isnt much $ savings getting frozen (although DOLE frozen packs were BOGO last week so I bought a bunch).
    Wintertime I can grow some Kale in the garden too.... Spinach is my fav but I can never get that stuff to grow.
    I had lots of bananas from the yard last year, so I get spoiled. Trees took a beating between the hurricanes and the cold we had at xmas so we'll see what this summer produces.

abyzmul likes this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

20. abyzmul

Good man. Got your anti oxidants in there.

Brook!, stinkyB and joe like this.