How Would YOU Spend Our CAP Dollars?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TommyGreen, Dec 28, 2007.

1. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Given the cap space we have and the Free Agents available in 2008, what would be the best case scenarios in terms of players acquired?

I'd say if we traded Chad, Coles, and Vilma for draft picks, we could use those picks as leverage to draft up for quality rookies, and then use whatever cap room we have left to fill in much needed holes in FA.

I think this is a rebuilder's dream scenario. To be honest with you all, I can't help but feel a little excited about where this team could end up in 2 years given the right amount of negotiating and drafting.

2. JetsLookingforDWare

Stacy Andrews

Randy Starks

Dansby

Jacob Bell

Signing Andrews and Bell allows us to draft McFadden (BPA) with our first pick. This draft has so many good DE/OLB prospects that could fall into round 2 that we're probably going to get a good one with our high pick.

How fuckin sweet would that be? D'Brick / Bell / Mangold /Moore / Andrews blocking for McFadden. :drool:

3. 20&out

20&out New Member

First priority in free agency and aloting cap space must be Offensive line.
    Drafted rookies can fill defensive holes better than the o-line where the experts say experience is much more important.

Secondly assuming Chad is goneand we are starting Clemens, considering the lack of qb talent around the league it is going to take some wheeling and dealing to get even a mediocre back up QB and that may cost some cap money.

The next two biggest holes (imho) D-line and secondary (while they get an A for effort I don't want t start next season with elam and poteat) should be addressed through the draft and whatever cap space is left after O-line and QB.

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm still not on the McFadden bandwagon. Thomas Jones can be deady with a decent OLine and Leon Washington is a good backup back. We should spend our picks on players we need rather than hype.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I like the idea of trading the Vets you pointed out for draft picks. If you're asking only about FA, here's what I'd do.

(listed in order of priority IMO)
    RT - We desperately need an NFL caliber right tackle, Jordan Gross or Stacy Andrews would be my choices.

LG - We need a left guard as it appears as if we're playing with only 10 men on offense at times (no LG noticeable). There are a few older vets out there like Faneca, and Womack who I'd be happy with but I'd rather get Jake Scott from the Colts if they let him go to FA. I doubt they let that happen though so get one of the older vets and draft a future replacement this year or next year.

If we're getting rid of Coles we HAVE to bring in a solid receiver. Moss probably won't leave NE and even if he does we can't afford him with our needs. I know people knock Berrians hands, but I don't remember seeing him have in issue in that dept? He has the speed to be a deep threat and stretch the defense so I'd probably go with him over any of the remaining WR FA's. I do like Crayton from the Cowboys but that would leave us without a #1 guy.

We also would need a QB if we trade CP for a draft pick so I'd try and bring in Daunte Culpepper for a reasonable price as a backup.

Haynesworth would be nice but I don't see him getting away from the Titans.

That's all I'd do in FA. In the draft I'd look at OLB, DT, DE, WR, ILB and CB as priorities in that order.

6. JetsLookingforDWare

If Jones would be deadly behind a decent O-line, imagine what a guy thats bigger and faster could do.

7. payman

payman New Member

Jordan Gross?

With our need for a RT, I am not sure why more people aren't looking at Gross.

He will be a UFA, and the Panthers are in the bottom 5 in cap space for next year.

Bookend him with Brick and perhaps Andrews at G and our o-line goes from bottom half to top line in football real quick.

8. Quack

Quack New Member

McFadden? Fumble the ball. Often without even getting hit. Reinjure his foot. Get into bar fights, leading to a suspension. Oh yeah tons of things.

Two offensive lineman. We just need to fill two of the following positions: LG, RG, RT. We can draft a replacement for the last one.

A big body for the defensive line as well. They don't have to start, they just need to be good enough for the rotation.

That's all.

9. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

He'll give us what? About another 200 yards a season? TJ was a steal, so there's no need bringing in a rookie to replace him just yet. We could trade down that pick in order to build upon areas we need to improve. Why pay McFadden top 10-pick money when we already have a solid RB, and a terrific multi-role backup?

10. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I like this scenario a lot. It fills some glaring needs right away, especially on the O-Line. History has shown the most successful teams to be the ones w/the O-line that can run the ball and get 1st downs, thus keeping the D off the field more often. I think that is the route to take rather than the other way around (focus on D personnel & to stop them on 3 downs).

And I would still insist on drafting a guard in the 6th or 7th round like Kerry Brown, Appalachian State 6-6. Weight: 310. 40 Time: 5.16. Try and groom a replacement between this guy and Bender for the Brandon Moore OG spot.

11. rillo

rillo New Member

Agreed...however you're not gonna change the minds of people that think McFadden will be our savior. Regardless who's blocking it seems.

12. JetsLookingforDWare

Because McFadden would be BPA and.mostly likely to be worth his contract as a top 5 pick than anyone else. He'd also probably be a better player than TJ given that both of them were in the optimal situation for any RB.

I'm a big believer in not needing a big time, highly paid RB to have a good running game. But, you get elite talent whenever available, especially in the draft. I'd say he's a better prospect at his position than everyone else being discussed in the top 5 (the Longs, Gholston, the QBs, Dorsey, etc), and if we can get him we take him.

But yea...my situation calls for them fixing the O-line in FA before they actually do it. If they don't, I'd go Gholston or maybe Chris Long if he looks like a 3-4 guy at the combine.

13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

We can forget about Karlos Dansby --- SI.com is reporting that the Cardinals have no intention of watching him leave. If they can't re-sign him, they will franchise him.

Guess we gotta move on to Terrell Suggs.

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm all for picking up elite players when they become available, but I'd rather have a team with an even amount of "good" players, rather than a team with "alright" players and one "elite" back.

15. MCFADDENJETS07

terrell suggs will get the franschise too...

16. JetsLookingforDWare

True...but theres 6 more picks after that to pick up whoever.

I thought about it this way...a decent O-line doesn't have to be a bunch of high paid guys. Jason Peters is a top 5 LT this year and the guy was an undrafted TE. Signing Andrews at RT and Bell at LG may not give us big name players on the OL, but they'll be good, young players. Throw an elite RB talent behind a better O-line and now we have a (hopefully) significantly improved running game. Then that opens up the passing game and yada yada...so really it'd be a huge step foward for the franchise as far as winning games.

#16 JetsLookingforDWare, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  17. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

#1 Randy Starks

# 1 Stacy Andrews

That should do wonders to shore up our problems in the trenches. I would be ecstatic to get these two and a top flight pass rush OLB in the draft.

18. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Chinese Hookers

[​IMG]
    Booze

for a...
    [​IMG]

All TGGers are invited.

19. JetsLookingforDWare

Should I bring party hats?

20. brothermoose