How to fix(begin) this mess. long

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Dec 22, 2012.

1. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I will begin with some general goals. First, its the Super Bowl not the playoffs that is the goal. Realistically, we are not a Super Bowl team next year. I don't see a quarterback solution due to cap implications so I see Sanchez back with a true camp competition with whoever can be brought in to compete.

Tannenbaum is gone and someone who believes in the draft is brought in. Most GM's want their own coach but the cap situation needs to be cleaned up and thus the GM evaluates Rex for a year. Continuity is maintained and if the year is poor the new GM's coach doesn't get tarnished by the record while the cap is cleaned. I hope Rex survives as I think he can be a good head coach.

Rex / new GM brings in a new OC and QB guru. If you can fix Sanchez to be ok not great it is our best chance to improve. I doubt he can but due to the cap hit and lack of sure fire draft QB's like last year I don't see alternative. If we get Vick, I will look for a new team.

Cap juggling: OL Smith, LB Scott, LB Pace gone to free up about 18 million. I wouldn't mind keeping Pace at a lower number for LB transition purposes but his choice.

RFA: Howard RT and Cumberland TE are brought back.

UFA: Both starting guards, both starting safeties,Greene, DeVito, Bryan Thomas and Dustin Keller are able to leave. I try to keep Bell on another one year deal, Slauson+/_ ?, DeVito as useful and versatile role player, and Keller only if his cost is reasonable. Keller's longevity with Sanchez is about the only reason I try to bring him back. Not a top price tight end to me and not a ground and pounder due to blocking. Landry wants top dollar ...good bye and thanks for this year, to big of a health risk for our situation. Greene not that good.

The tough call: Are we really close to the Super Bowl? Revis wants to be paid and I hate it but he goes in a trade. Should be able to get a second this year and several high future picks depending on if he resigns with new team. Several teams are close to the Super Bowl and he could put them over the top. Hell I would even listen to the Patriots although the price for them would be steepest. If healthy and he resigns, the second and 2014 1, 3 and 2015 2 would help give ammo to moving up in 2014 if a franchise QB is there.

Draft 2013 . Many interesting mocks already but here goes. Many others have moved down in first which we all like but harder to do but I will also.

later first Dion Jordan OLB Oregon. Raw physical freak who can be moved around as a pass rusher. Has some coverage ability but our D line developing and he could be very useful.

Three seconds after move down and Revis:
    Barrett Jones OG/C Alabama: Bright, versatile playing LT(winning outland trophy) and center this year. Highest character. Played hurt most of year. Held his own vs Georgia's huge D lineman despite requiring crutches after game. Remember when Mangold went out and no one to fill in? Should be one guard for long time.

DJ Fluker RT/OG Alabama: Devastating run blocker. Had some issues in pass blocking but had a tell that alerted other teams to run vs pass. I am bringing Howard back so they can compete for job. Loser can also compete for a guard spot with Vlad (and Slauson if he returns). The game is won in the trenches and now we are improved, younger, and have some depth.

Eddie Lacey RB Alabama: We finally get our lead back. Can do everything including blitz pick up. Due to how deep Alabama is at running back he also has a lot less mileage on him than most college backs.

Third round:
    Another LB is needed. While Jordan is raw, Chase Thomas of Stanford seems to be heady and if his measurables drop him he would be a steal here. If not some one like Brandon Jenkins from FSU would be good. Another pass rusher or if no one suitable ILB Skov of Stanford should be available.

Fourth round: safety
    Motta ND, Lester AL, Evans FL, Thomas Fres st.

Fifth round: Michael Williams TE Alabama: Decent receiver but about 6-6 275 is a terrific blocking tightened. We could go two tights with Cumberland the pass catcher. Williams can be redzone or short yardage pass target but he is here to solidify the right side. Suddenly, ground and pound can be a real threat. A right side with two of Vlad/Howard/Fluker with Williams would be about 900 lbs of whoop ass.

Sixth round T Mathieu KR/PR/ gunner LSU. Lots of off field trouble but this worth a chance. Tired of seeing fumbled punts. Possible help in dime coverage.

Seventh: This is where Rex can get his pick!

This still doesn't answer QB unless with a productive running game Sanchez can be more like the first two years. The multiple picks for OL and OLB are needed for depth as well as not every pick hits. Wish I could add a CB for depth but after this draft the team is set up much better to run and thus play action can return. Running can decrease the time defense is on the field. An improving front and now LB pressure may help cover the secondary. Extra picks there for 2014.

For WR if Braylon shows something bring him back and I expect the good Holmes to return as he is in essentially a contract year. His cap number makes it easier to cut him in 2014 so he has to perform and behave. Hill has to get better with a year in the system. This was a horrible place for us to have so many injuries.

If you made it this far thanks for reading

2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm not trading Revis

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well you have zero say with what happens haha. If trading him can help us rebuild this team and offense then its worth it. Cromartie has played unbelievably this year and tying ourselves down with one of the biggest defensive contracts ever might not be the best idea for a team that isnt a few pieces away from winning a SB.

4. wildaces

wildaces Banned

How much do we add by keeping him? I understand that he is the best CB in the NFL right now, and maybe ever. Please don't give me that argument.

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

As for this thread, I think you did a nice job. Looking towards the future, if we could use that future first two trade up and get Manziel or Bridgewater then I think it would be worth it.

I love the way you bolstered the OL with the two Bama players and then you add Lacy. I dont love Lacy, but for some reason in this draft I do.

I agree Tanny has to go and I agree with much of your FA play... I just hope Landry comes back, especially instead of Keller.

The one thing I really disagree with, is the QB position. I just think we have seen the last of Sanchez, and I dont think he or the fans or the organization can keep him around. The fans HATE him, just think about next year if a) he's on the bench making millions or b) he is starting after this putrid season.

He just doesnt deserve to start next year and I dont think the team would be behind that.

I would rather trade him or if we had to, cut him. Sign a vet like Matt Moore or even see what McElroy can do. I, along with many other fans, would rather see McElroy suck next year than our 1st round draft pick in Sanchez.

6. skeleton_frames

Nice job BamaDoc, I agree.

In terms of the quoted post, I also agree with this. Unfortunately, in the new NFL, elite CBs just aren't worth what they used to be. If you can clean upon on Revis and free up cap for future use on more emphasized positions, you do it.

7. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

Clearly you like Alabama. In all seriousness, I would hate this mock-off season.

8. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Yea agree even when college coaches go pro they barely take any players from their college.

9. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

I don't want to trade Revis, he just makes us so dangerous in the new NFL, and how dare you say elite CB's aren't worth what they once were, they are more valuable, this is a passing league, two elite cornerbacks shuts down anyone, where are you gonna throw it?

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

We've had these same CB's for the last 3 years...? Where did ppl throw it? The other receiver (ya know, because teams dont just go to wide), or the TE or the RB.

2 elite CBs mean nothing if your offense struggles to put up a single point.

The great teams that we can never beat and the ones who are actual SB contenders can find ways to beat our corners. The Patriots are exhibit A.

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

What you guys fail to realize is how do we under value Revis by saying an Elite CB won't help us yet think a team is going to trade for him without the guarantee of an extension regardless he does things for us no one else can

Draft a pass rusher and add some weapons in the middle rounds where the value is best

There's no quick fix and Revis is Elite you don't trade Elite taken for a 2nd round pick EVER

12. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I am not undervaluing Revis. He is the best, bar none. My question is how much better off are we if we keep him? We pay him what $10 million, and we can't use that to better our team, but we upgrade our number 2 CB position? Yes, he would be our number 1 CB, but essentially you are upgrading our 2, as Cro has been an elite #1 this year. The alternative is to trade Cro who we have under contract in 2014 already. Psst, Revis isn't under contract in 2014 if he reports this year.

13. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

So essentially we'd pay Sanchez, Holmes, Scoty, Pace and Cromartie ridiculous money but not Revis that's why we're the laughing stock of the league

Keeping him plus adding a pas rusher makes us elite, takes the D off the field on 3rd down and the O only has to score but so much to win

We played a weak schedule this year so I'm not going to look at this as our D can be just as good without Revis

14. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Rumor is that we are going to trade Sanchez. Scott and Pace are gone. Cro deserves his money, and Holmes earned his contract. Revis would also deserve his money.

You are missing the point. Revis is tradeable because of who he is. People would eat his salary, because of who he is. Say we keep him for the 2013 season, and we can't resign him, he can walk, correct? If we could get Avril or Spencer or Kruger, or whoever to beef up our linebacker corp, and pick up a draft pick or two, isn't that better than upgrading our #2 CB position? What if we had to package Revis with Sanchez, would that better the team in the long run?

Let's put it a different way, we pay him his money this year, and he walks in 2014. DO YOU WANT THE PATS TO SIGN HIM?

15. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

Trading Revis would make sense if you had the upmost belief in the GM, but with Tanny, I don't.

Honestly, the only way I can see us trading Revis would've been the Rams situation last year, where there already had a top pick at QB and they were in a spot for an elite QB. Unfortunately, as is often the case with us, that isn't available this year, so we can't do that.

It would almost have to be the godfather offer for us to move Revis. And then you take in the fact, that the teams that would be interested in him would be teams that were near competing and have aspirations to compete, so that first round pick is most likely a mid to late first round pick. So even two late first round picks, might not ever compensate for a stud Cb like him.

Again, the only way I would believe it would make sense to trade him was if some team, like say the Eagles, thought they were close and didn't have a need for a stud QB, and offered up that pick for him. Otherwise, I don't have confidence in our GM to pick off the studs late in the first round.

As for fixing the team. I would stay away from RB until the 4th round atleast. There are a good amount of RBs that go late in the draft, that develop into good players. We need to hit on one of those, we can't just have incompetent late round picks as usual, and expect to compete.

I don't know if I want half the Alabama offense next year. I don't love Lacy that much, because I think he has a huge advantage playing behind that line. Saying that, I would like to have atleast one player from that offensive line.

16. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

The worst move we could ever make is trade Revis within the division yet alone trade him at all... NE kicks are ass on offense with Brady now you want the to kick our ass with Revis. That would make for some long painful years for us

17. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Of course you don't trade Revis within the division! If he plays for us in 2013, and we do not sign a contract he is free to walk in 2014. He then wants to win a championship, and he can sign with the Pats. The sure way to avoid that is to trade Revis, and of course, outside of the division.

18. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Trading Revis only makes sense if you get a first round pick, a top fifteen pick at that. None of this second round stuff. Overall I am against trading Revis, especially since we have no pass rush and the fact we havent gotten tourched in the passing game this year is a miracle.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were an Alabama fan. The mock isnt bad I'm liking Dion Jordan more and more. I cant see Lacy going in the second, as impressive as he was this season.

Jenkins would be a steal for us, way underrated. If he is healthy he is awesome

and Geaux Tigers

19. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Someone will gamble on Mathieu before the 6th.

I think you can get a 2014 first rounder from a team other than the Patriots for Revis.

I like the draft but I don't love it. Offensive line needs to be overhauled but I'm not sure two second round picks is the way to do it. I'm also not sold on Lacy being a difference maker. We need one on offense.

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I've been preaching O-line for sometime.

I took some shit from a few of you experts with my Jake Matthew's selection.

You Howard supporters should be ashamed of yourself.