How the Dumervil deal might affect the Revis negotiations

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ScotsJet, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Sadly, per Florio:

So the same rolling skill guarantee that Ferguson got and all guaranteed for injury. My understanding is that such portion of this as is fully guaranteed now needs to fit under the 2009 cap. I can only guess that the rolling guarantees mean that those amounts are not considered as fully guaranteed now, so this could be a template for a Revis deal.

In doing the Ferguson deal the Jets applied the same rolling skill guarantees so that whilst money will become guaranteed in the future, it is not guaranteed at this point. What the Broncos have done is take this principle and add in a full injury guarantee. The effect seems to be that though the sums are fully guaranteed for injury now the fact that they are not fully guaranteed for skill yet means they do not come under the reallocation provisions.

It may be that this is a way forward for the Jets and Revis, though whether he would reject the rolling skill guarantees anyway and demand a large signing bonus is unclear.

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I don't see how an OLB deal affects a CB deal but okayyy

3. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

That's because you're stupid. Clearly it's the technical side of the contract and not the figures that are relevant.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What's it matter? There won't be football next year and if they don't get moving maybe not the year after either so then what do any of these contracts mean then?

5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Just got done working 3rd shift, leave me alone :p

6. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Why waste your time posting on this board then?

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I love when you post things like this Don..it brings me back to 2008. Ahhh..memories.

8. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I think in one of the 8,364,976,102 articles posted before about contract negotiations, Revis is looking for injury guarantees and the Jets want to do skill. Plus the Jets only had $300,000 in cap space left in 2009

9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

So basically Dumervil is getting the same type of contract as Dbrick. The Jets gave Bricks agent the right to have it guaranteed for either skill or injury but not both as it would not be allowed.

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Go back to into your hole.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

[​IMG]

12. IATA

IATA Trolls

They offered Ferg skill or injury and he chose skill, getting himself an injury insurance afterwards.

13. IATA

IATA Trolls

Gold. Pure gold.

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

No, that's the point. Dumervil's deal has the same rolling skill guarantees as Brick, but in addition has a full injury guarantee.

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

The article isn't clear.

first it says there are 43 mill in guaranteed money for injury... then it says every year the guarantees kicks in ala D'brick.

What I understand is that the guarantees that kick in are injury related and not skill related... which means they're not real guarantees since a guy with an injury guarantee is always cuttable for nothing unless he gets injured.

Same deal as D'brick but Dumervil chose "injury" where D'brick chose "skill".

16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

That's not what it says, look at line 2:

17. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The Broncos can't give out guarantees for both unless they had that much cap room in 2009. Either the skill or injury isn't guaranteed.

18. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I know. The skill isn't guaranteed yet. This is why I think it's worth discussing.

19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Im going to wait until someone else breaks up the contract a little better. The way they did in this article isn't reall clear.

20. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I actually think these contracts are going to be ripped up when they finally have a new CBA. Teams are trying to keep the player happy but they also have no idea how these contracts would work with a new agreement. They basically don't get new money until the 2011 season. This way if they have a lockout and an agreement at some point the teams could go to the agent and give them new contracts with similar money but different terms that work within the new CBA.