How much difference does the coach make?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsUK, Sep 22, 2019.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am curious as to how much difference the identity of the coach makes to the performance of the team.

A coach makes 'some' difference clearly but I would say (on the basis of nothing but pulling numbers out of the air) that 90% of how a team performs is down to the talent on the field and the coach makes the extra 10% one way or the other - so that no matter who was coaching the Jets this season would still be abysmal as we have next to no talent on the team - similarly if you put me in as the coach of the Patriots I would still pretty much guarantee you a playoff berth

Can anyone think of a time when a poor team has changed coaching staff and there has been a marked turnaround (without there also being a large turnover of players)

It feels like it is the same with soccer - coaches get too much credit when a team does well and too much blame when the team does badly (as its not possible to sack all the players but you can sack the coach).

Anyone aware of any studies in this regard?

I reckon that having an effective GM would make ten times the difference having a decent coach would make over the medium term

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

To answer your question, look no further than today's game. Bellichick makes a HUGE difference, as do those who win consistently. It's not fluke. Yes, you need good players, but a good HC is the real difference maker.

JetBlue and BacktoQueens like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is easy. Just look at who is the HC on the other side of the field in today's game.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Gase looks like he quit on the last 4 mins.

James Hasty and Agua like this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

but Bill is much more than just the coach he is effectively their GM as well and has built a quality team - the Pats roster is stacked - I am talking about coaching rather than team building - or rather what I am saying is building the team and getting in the right players makes more difference than playcalling

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Is it though? every team that has had consistent success has had a top tier QB on the roster during that run (other than the 2000 era Ravens) I would say having someone that can build a good roster is more important that the HC

7. Agua

Agua New Member

He does that. If shit doesn't go his way, he checks out. Peyton Manning is the only QB smart enough to appreciate this genius's offense

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

First, a HC does much more than play calling. A good HC should be involved in the decisions about which players to get that will work best in his system; AND/OR he should be able to design his systems so they work for the players he gets.

Bit look at the coaches with the most championships to see that over time, with different players, they still win.

Bottom line: the two most critical things for a winning football team are: great HC; great QB. All resources and effort must be expended to secure those two things before you do anything else. This is where the Jets have failed and it shows.

Agua likes this.
  9. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Coaching is everything in the NFL.
    We DESPERATELY need a new coach.
    Anyone who liked this hire must have rocks in his head.

The "Offensive Genius" has put up ONE TD in 12 quarters, and routinely runs plays 6 yards behind the LOS on 3rd and 3. No mystery or surprise to anyone who watched him in Miami. Just go ask any Dolphin fan about Gase.
    And I don't want to hear about backups. There are backups all over the league putting points on the board.

We need to cut ties ASAP, before we waste 3 or 4 invaluable years of Sam's prime.

10. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Some would say Shula and Marino were both great and they didn't win jack shit while together all those years. Need a little more than just two guys out of 50 to win in this league.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Rex Ryan says it can be done..

12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

See Hue Jackson firing...

13. ColoradoContrails

I didn't say that was the ONLY thing you need. Obviously you need good talent and a good GM and CS, but if you don't have those two pieces you're not going to win much.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not as much as the qb.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Marino would be unstoppable in today’s league

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

So pretty much y'all think if Bill has Falk they would be winning games. Got it. Woof.

FJF likes this.
  17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

More in football than just about any other sport I think.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

And Adams.

19. There are so many things wrong w this team over the years that its hard to decipher what the true culprit is.

I still think it goes back to personnel.Not just overall talent base but a healthy understanding between the FO & CS of what a jet looks like,plays like,where hes gonna play in the system & how hes gonna be developed/coached.

If you are drafting to your system w. a CS/FO fully engaged & in unison you’re gonna find contributors for your team.If you still dont you need a better system & better scouts. Theres no excuse for the jets to be as barren as they are at so many position groups coming off of 4 seasons w the same GM/Coach duo.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Is the roster stacked or do they perform because they are well coached?