How many years does JD get?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 14, 2020.

?

How many years does JD get to show progress?

1. 2 more years

39 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. 3 more years

34 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. 6 more years

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. 10 more years (5 year contract extension)

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Forever....

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Cliche time guys: " Rome wasn't built in a day". In reality, Rome wasn't built in a century either so we can just put that old saying away for now and deal with what's in front of us. Apparently, JD is truly cleaning house in his first full year of a 6 year deal. For the sake of argument, how many years out of the 6 does JD get to show progress? Not a full on quantum leap, just progress. Right now, it's bleak in Jet Nation mostly because of Gase and a shit roster. It took years for us to dig this hole and it will take years for us to dig our way out of it. There's another old saying: "When you find youself in a hole, stop digging..."

#GaseLand Sucks

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I voted for 3. Hopefully Gase is gone this year/offseason. JD ties himself to a Coach with a 4 year deal and drafting of TL. That puts TL, the Coach, and JD on the same timeline.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He is going to get at least 3 years, he was given a 6 year deal. He probably sat down with CJ and put the cards on the table on the time frame it would take to tear it down and build it up again.

We have to stop acting like it can’t be done, Mac was a horrific GM, the talent doesn’t exist because Macagan did not know how to build a team. Jets already have their LT of the future, Zuniga and Mims don’t have a score yet but I believe when healthy they will play well for Jets.

JD took a page out of Ron Wolfs strategy on drafting by picking a developmental QB in the 4th round.

Guy is cleaning house and will be investing the money where it should be going, not on RB, DT or Safeties but OL, OLB, CB, QB.

I believe with the right HC and staff this team under JD can be a good football team, he will draft well and put the pieces in place for a good HC, I’m just not sure who that is right now.

He will get 3 to 4 years but I believe the team will improve by next year.

BudJet, Noam, Pepsiguy5 and 5 others like this.
  4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I voted forever, but it really depends on the next few years. His plan is to actually tank and build the team unlike Mac, who said we would tank, but did everything wrong. Douglas needs to knock his draft picks out of the park and start to build a roster than will net us comp picks. You can see he is trying to do so, but we'll have to see if it works.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

At least 3 years. This team was poorly constructed to compete in 2020 and I'm sure that's why he wanted a 6 year deal. He should be aware by now that Gase was a bad hire and whatever level of friendship he has with Gase shouldn't stop him from doing what's best for the team. With a new HC, a possible new QB, and a shot to mold the roster the way he wants, we'll be able to fairly judge his performance. That's not to say he can't be criticized yet, but it's way too early to call for his head. If there's no sign of progress in 2021, I'll be concerned. If there's no sign of progress in 2022, we might be back to square one in 2023.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

2021 the Jets will have a new Head Coach and a lot of new players. If they make the jump from horrendous (2020) to competitive and in every game (2021) that would be a great start. Then take a bigger jump in 2022. If that doesn't happen, then Douglas will be gone. I think it will happen though. This is his plan.

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He’s getting 3 more years. Typically gms get 2 coaches , coaches get 2 qbs. I think gase has shown enough where he won’t get that but Douglas surely will.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I said 3 years - as in 3 more years - although personally, if his moves don't start paying significant returns by the year after this I'm going to start thinking he's just another in a long list of failures here. That said, I do think he has a plan rooted in proven winning organizations, and those orgs build for the long run from the inside out, which isn't sexy but does work. I hope I live long enough to see it bear fruit.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

This year should be his last. If this team goes 0-16 which feels likely at this time. when coach Gase goes he goes.

Blow up the whole operation.

10. WarriorRB28

The scary thing about this JD is exactly at what point did he make the decision that Darnold isn't the guy and that a total tear down rebuild is necessary?

Judging by his moves it had to have been some time during the Jets 7-2 finish last season.

Which to me is terrifying they could have this person in charge.

0-16 is Joe Douglas' baby. Mike MacCagnan paid for his sins a long, long time ago the team was never this bad under his watch.

Joe Douglas owns 0-16.

If this team goes 0-16 he too should go.

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You can't can him for Gase horrible coaching. Gase is on the owner he hired that turd as Gase had just got fired by Miami. Douglas needs his crew and the only thing I'm worried about is his friendship with Gase. Will he be man enough to fire his friend or would the girly man Johnson slugs have to do it. Getting another GM in here would also be a problem. No one would want this job if Douglas is fired after 1 year.

12. Wheres “fired at bye week along w his buddy Gase”?

Thats my vote.

13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I am beginning to think he may be gone at the end of this season.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He should get 3 more years however I think if he hasn't managed to turn the team around by the end of 2022 he'll be gone after that season. Really if he hasn't turned them around by the first quarter of the 2022 season the drumbeats in the media will start beating hard and fast.

The local media is insanely destructive to the Jets at this point. Mehta is the hardpoint on that front but there are a bunch of other people on that beat also. I think watching the last decade has been hard on everybody but it's demented the local press.

One of the things we don't factor in much is how much pressure the media is under at this point. Virtually every media personality is working for a failing company that could go under easily at anytime. Most of them are making peanuts compared to what the media made from the 80's to the 00's. Social media and the democratization of media that it brought has basically come close to bringing professional media down. Nothing on that front looks likely to change.

The odds are fairly good that the current crop of local media are the last group of people that are going to get *paid* by somebody else to do the job. The next media group will be self-employed streamers and bloggers getting paid by the hit.

I suspect some of the current media are essentially paid that way also, with "shift" pay to take social security and medicare out of.

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  15. WarriorRB28

The only reason Douglas got the job is because of football czar Gase. To me they're both tied at the hip. If one goes they should both go.

Coach Gase pushed out MacCagnan you really think he had no say in who the replacement would be?

I wanted Gase here instead of McCarthy but I never ever said to give him total control. How could anyone guess the Johnsons would be so dumb as to give a HC that got fired from his old job total control over the football operation weeks later?

Now we're staring down the barrel of a 0-16 season I think it's gonna happen. I think their best shot to win was Denver. I'm looking at the remaining schedule man where is that W coming from?:(

If this team goes 0-16 looking the way they've looked for most of this season the idea of bringing back this GM to me is unfathomable.

Section 336 likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Joe will have some big decisions coming up at the next draft.

1- Keep Sam and surround him with weapons. This could go either way in the long run. If Joe keeps Sam, surrounds him with weapons, and we still suck, Joe is gone.

2- Trade Sam and draft Trevor. Basically a 'do over' from scratch. If this is his path, Joe will almost certainly demand Gase goes (if he's not already gone).

3- Trade Sam and draft a QB not named Trevor Lawrence. If Joe feels he just hasn't seen enough from Sam to saddle the team with a big 2nd contract, and he can't get Trevor, then Joe may role the dice on another rookie QB. Go the Deshawn Watson / Russell Wilson path of taking a QB not at the top of the draft. This is the riskiest route, of course, but a route Joe may be forced to take.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. WarriorRB28

Mods, we need a option to fire him after this season or before it ends if this team goes 0-16 added to the poll.

I didn't vote because none of the options were to my liking.

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

2 more years. Like I said in the other thread he needs to draft a few guys who can make an impact in Year 1. Plus a few more guys who can contribute situationally. Do that again in the following draft. Anything less and the circus stays in town.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

This is an excellent post. Fans felt as hopeless and desultory about the team when Holtz, Kotite and Coslet were around, but there was no social media to require fans to prostrate themselves publicly to demonstrate how committed they were to the team. This too shall pass. Unless we refuse to let it, because this is all about us. Which of course it’s not.

Br4d and Brook! like this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

100 years.

#20 DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021