How many of our 12 drafts from this year are on the roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by southparkfanciz, Oct 1, 2014.

1. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

With the release of Sanders, I had heard on WFAN that only 2 out of the Jets 12 draft picks from this year are on the active roster. 2 OUT OF 12. Can anyone confirm this? I know injuries took a few of them but that is sad. Everyone who was praising him for taking 3 WRs in the 4th round clearly see now why that doesn't work when we have an offense like this. Idzik might want to change his style

2. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

No, that's not true. We got Pryor, Amaro, Dozier, IK, and Reilly on the team. 3 of them get playing time, 2 on the bench so far. Then there's 2 on injured list, McDougle and Evans, so they re sort of on the team too. Enunwa is on practice squad. Boyd, Dixon, George and Saunders are gone.

3. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

9 of those picks came after the 3rd round. The odds of hitting a good pick after the 3rd round is probably like 20% or less (that's with a few years of development). And the odds of hitting an immediate impact player after the 3rd round is probably like 3-5%.

I don't get the overreaction to the draft picks. But I guess it comes down to people just don't use their heads.

Dom and Axel3419 like this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

4 were cut. 8 remain on the roster.

There were quite a few guys that had 2nd round grade even in round 4. Jets skipped almost all of them - and these guys Jets passed on make a valuable depth with their respective teams. That's what's bothering most of the people. You can't reach for a player now.

5. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Amaro is contributing, Pryor has had moments of good and bad, McDougle got an unfortunate injury in what has been an unlucky but injury prone young football career, Saunders for whatever stupid reason got cut but hopefully he makes it onto the practice squad, Shaq Evans got IR'd because of a shoulder injury, Dozier is still learning on how to be an NFL OG like how to pass protect, Jeremiah George got cut in favor of AJ Edds and Jacksonville picked him up off the active roster,

Brandon Dixon didn't make the final cuts and Tampa Bay signed him, Tajh Boyd got cut in the final trim down and has not made the practice squad and might not make it unless one of the main QBs get hurt and Simms is elevated off the practice squad, Enunwa made the initial cut but whether due to a domestic abuse dispute or not, is now on the practice squad, IK has been dealing with an injury and thus has been deactivated but he's still on the 53 man currently(I guess they don't want to use their designated IR on him and might save it for a more severe injury?) and Trevor Reilly is apart of special teams and has made it.

Pryor/Amaro/IK/Dozier/Reilly are the 5 guys on the active out of our draft picks. While a Cardinals draft pick in the 6th round, we also have Walter Powell out of this draft who is on the active roster and made his debut with the Jets so maybe you can count him as the 6th guy out of this draft class on the active roster.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Look, I wanted to believe in the plan that Idzik had of building through the draft, but if he isn't able to keep at least half of his draft picks, we're building a brick house with dry sand.

The really sad part is that two of the departed draft picks were picked up by other teams fairly quickly, which means that even though they were promising picks, we had to dump them to address areas that should have been addressed elsewhere.

I started thinking this season was a throw away just to develop young talent and deal with the roster holes with a less than stellar record at the end of the year. But the hype coming out of camp made it seem like Geno was making huge strides and the ceiling started looking higher than it should have. And maybe the team bought into that hype.

But now it is apparent that hype is all it was, and the team is throwing away the talent that it wanted to develop for low cost bandaids that will likely not perform even to a satisfactory level.

Cap rollover aside, it really looks like the plan is falling apart.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Good thing your grades, Mel Kiser Jr. And Todd McShays grades mean absolutely nothing.

The so called expert you see on ESPN know nothing on the grand scale of college scouting and how players turn out. McShay and Kiper are wrong on tons of players each year, including their draft positions. I can throw countless players projected as at least a top 3 rounds pick that went undrafted. It's how the draft rolls and to act like the 2nd round B- grade you see flash on your screen on draft day is true to what teams grade the player is silly.

Axel3419 likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I can't really defend the cutting of these draft picks either. George looked promising in preseason and Saunders seemed to be a sparkplug in terms of his speed. Our inside linebackers are set so George is one thing but to cut Saunders before even giving him a look on offense at one of our worst positions doesn't make much sense.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

ESPN's "draft experts" only know what they know because their network pays to give them leads on what teams are grading players.

Brook! likes this.
  11. milo

milo Well-Known Member

This is why the people who were so adamant about keeping all 12 picks drove me crazy leading up to the draft. They would have made the same argument if we had 20 picks.

Nobody wants to go back to the Tanny days of 3 picks a year, but 12 is asinine. You're pretty much guaranteeing that 3 or 4 wash out, so why not package those for quality and still keep 5-7? It's not an either or question of whether or not trading up makes sense, it's about balance - balance and fucking math.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets could have kept all 12 picks and still drafted better players in my opinion. Specifically in the 3rd to 5th rounds.

I wanted to trade up after getting Pryor in rd 1, specifically for a receiver.

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

It's tough because we look around the league and c young players making contributions at positions we are currently desperate for.....WR, CB, and dare I say it, QB. The last 2 drafts have had top notch talent coming out of college. If there was a time to do it tannenbaum style, it would have been then. Now I don't mean mortgage the draft and be left with 4 or 5 picks. I mean make that move and slither up in a given round or even into a round earlier....using 1 or 2 of the later picks as ammo. I mean come on, we throw away 6 and 7 round picks like they grow on trees. Instead of having 12 picks where we will be lucky to have 2 starters, I would have rather had 7-8 picks with another 2nd or 3 rd rounder. That would increase the chances of getting another starter dramatically.....

Idziks dial is too far to the left, it needs to move towards center to get some f'n talent in here otherwise teams will leave us behind. Let's face it the jets won't tell u they dropped the ball at corner. BS....they dropped it big time.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I think if they had 20 picks we would still be in a position of bitching about the selections.

15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I told u idiots who kept talking about "John Idzik and his 12 draft picks" as a reason to not spend any money in free agency that this is exactly what would happen.2 of them on the active roster its an embaressment.This team will never get it right,say what you want about Mr T and his bad contracts he pulled the trigger and got us to two AFC title games,he would have been a great GM if he coulda kept it together

16. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

With Dixon and George on other teams rosters. So 7 on rosters, 2 injured- one of whom looked good- 2 cut, 1 on our practice squad, which is not terrible. Granted, if the FO/scouts did a better job of evaluating WR talent the draft would've looked considerably better.

17. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

50% true in my opinion,

18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Amaro and Pryor have to both develop into really good players (at the very LEAST, above average starters) for this draft to not be viewed as an utter failure in 3-5 years. It would also be nice to see McDougle develop into a decent corner.

19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Saunders was signed to Arizona's PS right? That means the Jets didnt even want him there, I assume.

There must be something more to this.

20. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Yea because he cleared waivers