How is my team?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by GreenGreek, Aug 14, 2007.

1. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I'm in a Yahoo, 12 team, relatively yardage heavy league. My QB position will kill me. I figured that since there was a run on QBs, and 11 QBs had already been taken, there was no rush to grab one, but backup QBs went almost immediately after.

We play 1 QB, 2RBs, 2 WRs, 1 WR/RB flex, 1 Def, 1K, 1 TE

QBs: Favre, Green, Harrington
    RBs: R. Johnson, T. Jones, A. Green, J. Lewis
    WRs: S. Smith, H. Ward, T. Glenn, G. Jennings, D. Mason
    TE: H. Miller
    K: J. Hanson
    Def: Philly

Thanks in advance.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

being yardage heavy, thats a solid team. Most of your players have big yardage games rather than catches and TDs, which is what i use. Who was your 1st rd pick?

3. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

his first pick was obviosly Rudi.

if i?d had to guess i?d say he picked about 8-10 and his picks were:

1st-Rudi
    2nd-S.Smith
    3rd-T.Jones (steel at the middle-end of the 3rd, looks like people have been scared bout his injury)
    4th-A. Green
    5th-H. Ward
    6th-J. Lewis

you got 4 RBs, that will get the full load of carries, that?s huge in a League, where you can start 3 RBs.

WRs are solid.

Did you panic and reach for the left QBs? cuz your K, DEF and TE are pretty poor.

If you feel, you need a better QB, you could trade one of your RBs, but i wouldn?t hurry doing that, when someone elses starting RB gets hurt, you should be able to get a better QB and maybe a better TE in the same Trade.

Maybe you could take a shot on Vick off the waiver wire (i know, chances are slim to none, that he playes) and drop Harrington. He?ll still be on the wire, when the vick suspenion is throu, and if not, who cares, 2 QBs are enough, and you can pick up a player like Harrington anytime, if nececerry. But if Vick is only suspended half of the year, or something like that, he could bring you back to buisness.

I think you did a good job at the beginning of the darft, but screwed it up in the Mid-Late rounds.

4. GreenGreek

I actually picked 6th in a 12 team league. I reached for Rudi, but I think he's underrated, especially with Irons out. He's handcuff free. I was debating between Rudi, Addai & Westbrook at #6. I figured Rudi was the safest bet, even though he doesn't have the upside the other two do.

I grabbed Smith in Rd. 2 and Jones in Rd. 3. Aside from Manning, the whole 1st round was RBs, as was the majority of the early & late 2nd round. The 2nd round consisted of 7 RBs, Palmer & 4 WRs, with the QB & WRs all going to the mid-round teams.

Early Rd. 3 was basically all WRs. The tally in the 3rd round was 6 WRs, 3 RBs, 2 QBs, and Gates (final pick of the round). Jones was the 20th RB taken, and I think he was a huge steal, as I had him rated around 11-12 in terms of RBs.

I did panic a bit and started grabbing a few QBs late, because the problem in a league with such a big bench is many teams were stashing 3 QBs. Some teams had 2 QBs before I had 1. The only waiver wire QBs that might actually play are: Campbell, Garcia, Leftwich, Russell, Culpepper, Garrard, Vick & Jackson. Personally, I was shocked at how early QBs were going. 4 were gone by Rd. 3, 6 by Rd. 4, 9 by Rd. 5 & 11 by Rd. 6. I thought I could wait & grab some mediocre QBs at that point since I was the only one that didn't have a QB, but they started going again in Rd. 8. I ended up going with guys that are definite starters and at least have some decent WRs/TEs to throw to.

I think a few weeks in, teams will be desperate to deal with me. While they started picking QBs, TEs, & Defenses in Rds 4-8, I decided to keep picking up starting RBs & WRs. I have a very low opinion of kickers & defenses because outside the top 2 or 3, there's no significant difference in my opinion. A top K/Def might get you 1-2 points per week more than a waiver wire one. I always prefer RB/WR depth (especially RB). Plus, I think Philly's defense can be decent given the average offenses and sometimes spotty QB play in the NFC East.

My draft results went as follows:
    1) Rudi Johnson
    2) Steve Smith
    3) Thomas Jones
    4) Ahman Green
    5) Hines Ward
    6) Jamal Lewis
    7) Terry Glenn
    8) Philadelphia
    9) Brett Favre
    10) Greg Jennings
    11) Heath Miller
    12) Trent Green
    13) Derrick Mason
    14) Jason Hanson
    15) Joey Harrington

I hope this helps give some insight as to how some drafts are falling for those of you lucky enough to have a league that drafts later in the preseason.

5. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Can't believe you waited until 9th round to get a quarterback

6. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

Why not? Statistically, outside of the top 5 guys (6 if McNabb stays healthy), there is little difference at all on a wee-to-week basis. After the top tier is gone, theres no need to rush and pick one. Just like defenses, outside of Chicago and Baltimore (who were about 50 points higher than all others), all the main stream defenses were within about 15 total points on the season last year.

7. GreenGreek

The top 6 QBs were gone by Rd. 4. That's way too early for most of those QBs to be going. I have 4 starting RBs on my team, in a league where I can play 3 week in and week out. The genious with Peyton Manning & Phillip Rivers has Marion Barber, Leon Washington, Michael Turner & Mike Bell as his RBs. The team with Palmer has Willie Parker, Chester Taylor (who knows what he'll put up w/ Peterson on Minny) & Anthony Thomas as his RBs. When Bulger & McNabb flew off the board in Rd. 4, I figured there was really no reason to grab a QB, even though people still did. Really, how much better are guys like Rivers, Pennington & Eli from Favre?

8. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

Pennington and Eli are not better than Favre at all.

9. GreenGreek

For future reference, after the big 6 (Peyton, Palmer, Brees, Brady, Bulger & McNabb), is there really anyone worth hurrying to grab? At the time, I didn't really think so.

10. green machine

green machine New Member

i probaly would have gone WR in RD 4...with the Texans O-line and Green's age, I think that was a bit of a reach.

11. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

It's Ahman's show in Houston though. Even if he only manages 3-4YPC, he's going to get the lion's share of the work.