How good can our linebackers be?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 17, 2021.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

It's a true credit to Joe Douglas for finding Quincy Williams on the waiver wire. He's really been a nice addition to the defense. CJ Mosley has been nothing short of a stud and is probably our very best player.

With that said, I just saw this morning that Jarrad Davis is coming back next weekend. Do you recall JD talking during training camp? Saying how much he loved Robert Salehs 4-3 defensive scheme? Davis is a former 21st overall draft choice of the Lions in 2017. He was an excellent player and contributor for the Lions up until they hired Matt Patricia. He was not well suited for the 3-4 and his play slipped. I saw a very good player in the preseason games. A player that looked ready to reestablish excellence in the field.

Jets gameday this morning on YouTube said, and I agree, that Quincy Williams had EARNED the right to get more playing time. Robert Saleh already made it known, Jarrad Davis will start when he returns. Now obviously CJ Mosley will man the middle and be the QB of the defense. Jarrad Davis will probably be the WILL and Quincy Williams will start as the SAM?

This has got me thinking... How good can this linebacker group be? I see talent everywhere. It's going to be rather hard for guys like Nasirildeen, Sherwood, Cashman to get much playing time.

fansince90 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not sure what they plan on doing now but I think Jarrad Davis was starting Mike when he got injured, though I don't know if they were experimenting or what. He was calling the defense. I remember because I thought it was strange that CJ wasn't the one making calls.

PJ4Ever and Red Menace like this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Mosley as Will side LB, Davis as Mike and Williams as Strong side?

Not bad at all to be honest, Mosley has thinned out enough that he’s much quicker than I thought he would be, having him as the Will could be like having James Farrior all over again.

I’m actually happy if this turns out to be the case, gives the younger guys some time to learn from the veterans and not rush their development.

I would rather not see Sherwood, Cashman and Nasirilden on the field again this season.

#4 Red Menace, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  5. NYJ1970

Agreed. Sherwood and Nasirildeen are way too small. imo, That's a Robert Saleh experiment gone bad. They were unable to seal the edge on running plays which should not come as a surprise to anyone. Their simply too small. To me that experiment is like drafting two more Darron Lee's lol. Cashman simply cannot stay healthy.

fansince90 and Red Menace like this.
  6. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I’d prefer we move Nasirildeen to SS which was his natural position coming out of FSU.

boozer32, NYJ1970 and fansince90 like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Jets have one the most entertaining defenses in the NFL ...plus we and our Offense get to watch them for almost the entire game every weekend

stinkyB, Brook!, Centiment and 7 others like this.
  8. NYJ1970

That's what I'm really hoping happens coming out of the bye. Even though the defense got beat pretty good against the dirty birds, the defense is the lone bright spot with this team right now. I'm really hoping the offense can start to pull their weight.

For the last 10 plus years the Jets offense has been notoriously slow starters. They always take one quarter to one third of every game they play off. That's not acceptable. I know it's a big emphasis for the Jets as I've seen interviews with Saleh and Zach acknowledging that very problem.

So it's my hope that even if the offense cannot get started scoring more quickly they'll at least be able to get a few first downs and give the defense more of a break....

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Not sure if this means anything in terms of the S to LB experiment at least for Sherwood but he’s listed along with the safeties now…at least here. And he made some solid plays against the Falcons iirc.

https://www.footballguys.com/subscribers/teams/teampage-nyj-6.php

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nasrildeen might have done a better job in coverage on Pitts instead of JFM.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe our LBs won't be as good as we all hope if Mosley turns out to have another serious hamstring injury...

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The Jets were very deep at LB back in the day, now not so much. Any word on some guys on the practice squad? Del'Shawn Phillips, I have no clue about this guy.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Mosely hurtin again I see. I hope he doesn't take the rest of the year off. Good thing we have a lot of LB's.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Most of them are lighter than he is even at his lighter weight.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We like our LB's small..

16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That's a really interesting idea. All of a sudden, the LBs aren't looking so bad, but more holes at safety so wonder if they'd actually move him back

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Saleh in his press conference today was talking up sherwood. said he'd call the plays if mosley couldn't go. said he'll add bulk in the offseason as well but mentally he's way ahead of the curve and jsut needs to add weight. compared him to fred werner in that sense.