How does Tebow affect the draft?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by casman02, Mar 21, 2012.

1. casman02

casman02 New Member

Hate it or love it, Tim Tebow will be a Jet next year. My question to you guys is how do you think this will affect our draft. Obviously we lose our 4th rounder and a 6th rounder and gain a 7th rounder, but what about the positions we will be looking at? I know a few people wanted the Jets to go RB so I am curious if that is still the case.

I think comp picks will still play a role, but right now what are your thoughts?

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

I really hope this doesnt affect us from trying to get an actual #1 RB (if the opportunity presents itself).

If TRich is there in the 1st or Doug Martin is there in the 2nd, I would hope that this trade would not affect us from pulling the trigger.

Other than that, we just lose a 4th and a 6th... not much else comes to mind

3. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Personally, unless TRich is at 16 , I think this eliminates a RB in this draft. We will most likely look into draft a RT, WR, and OLB as planned prior to the draft.

I still think we will make some more moves at WR or RT (which is the reason I have to keep holding up my next mock) prior to the draft but for now look into us not drafting a RB.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Jets getting a RB is a luxury in my opinion. Greene ran for 1K yards with a dump of an o-line (in my opinion). The o-line makes the RB. The Jets have got to fix the holes first and then get luxuries.

5. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

We're also looking at S and ILB I would think. Also a TE in round 5+ and OG becomes an option in 3/4+. We don't need a starter in all of these areas of need, but depending who else we bring in during FA we'll have to shift our priorities and draft order based on that.

6. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

It really depends on how the rest of this offseason goes.

I expect us to sign Atogwe and bring back Braylon. If that is the case I could see us going RT then ILB.

Its all speculation until April 26th.

7. l29washington

l29washington New Member

Unless TRich falls to us or Martin falls to us in Round 2 I doubt the Jets take a RB. Greene had a strong 2nd half of the year and even though he is not an elite back, he is serviceable. I for one am excited to see what McKnight can do in a bigger role if he can stay healthy. Tebow should be able to carry the ball 5+ times per game and people ignore/overlook/write off Powell. The guy was a 4th round pick last year. Give him more than 10 carries to prove himself. Conner actually also has been a surprisingly effective ball carrier when given an opportunity (generally in short yardage situations). This team has more glaring holes and now that we don't have a 4th round pick, I think they will utilize their draft picks on filling those holes.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Another travesty will be committed if we use our first pick on a running back, which probably makes nothing but good sense to the likes of Mr T after his latest moves. We lost last year because of a shitty OL particularly on the right side side, lack of pass rush and weak safety coverage, so why not get another running back.
    Keep doing the same thing, you will get the same results.

9. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I expect LBs first 2 rounds with wr and RT after that with maybe a safety if there is one they like. If Bart is gone especially we really need to stock up on LBs.

10. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Only way that happens is if T Rich drops which he almost definitely won't. I agree though we need a LB badly. I want Upshaw or trade down for Hightower or any other lb they like.

11. steves850

steves850 Active Member

I don't think RB was ever really on the table unless it was the BPA (TRich) other than nothing changes. We needed a stellar draft before this and we need one after this trade. Make it count.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I would tend to say not at all. We still have holes at Saftey and need talented youth at OLB and WR. If a good RT/G drops in our laps that is an option as well, but over all things should be about the same.

13. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I would imagine it would make it even more important to look at offensive lineman who's strength is run blocking.

14. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

OLB,RT,ILB,WR all in the first four rounds.

15. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

I have a feeling that the jets will get back the picks via the comp.