how does filling need make us desparate

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by drownedjetsfan, Mar 3, 2008.

1. drownedjetsfan

drownedjetsfan New Member

WOODY GETS WOODY

And so it continues for the New York Jets.

The team owned by Woody Johnson has signed Lions free-agent tackle Damien Woody to a five-year, $25.5 million contract, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Per Schefter, Woody will receive $11 million in guaranteed money.

One league source expressed to us in the wake of the signings of Woody, Calvin Pace, and Alan Faneca and the trade and new contract for defensive tackle Kris Jenkins that these moves smack of desperation by a coaching staff and a front office that fear a rash of pink slips if the green and white don't win a lot of games in 2008.

gimme a break !!!

2. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

"desperate" in terms of keeping your jobs. It's possible. Maybe they had to win this year. Not that I care because this is what I want the Jets to do. If the Jets don't win, I could see them getting fired.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If signing players is desperate, then what would not signing players be? I'll say stupid.

4. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

I am glad they are desperate to improve. They should be. 4-12 is not acceptable and we had too many holes to fill. Maybe if previous regimes had been a little more desperate, the Jets would have won a Super Bowl or two since 1969.

5. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

They have done a great, GREAT job so far of filling a few major holes. (I'm including Woody, so that's three, which is a few). :grin:

I think there was a tinge of desperation in them really wanting to sign Faneca. But they got their man, so it's all good.

6. Jetdog

Jetdog New Member

Easy to say they are desperation, but I think it's just the Jets have the money and had some glaring needs. They weren't as active last year even with the money available.... But coming off a playoff run, the needs weren't as obvious as coming off their most recent campaign. And, while pricey, the signings are NOT high profile playmakers that someone feels will change the team by themselves... They are in the trench guys that, to me, show a team that is committed to building the most important positions to overall success.

7. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

Also sounds a little like sour grapes from the other "league source". Easy to call the Jets desperate when they just beat you for three or four of the top FA's in this year's class. It makes your own failure to get these guys look better if the Jets are "desperate" and not "doing a great job finding guys to improve the team".

8. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

They MAD! , Tangini doing work right now. Give the credit.

9. ShutEmDownRevis

ShutEmDownRevis New Member

We really had VERY little talent on this team last year. This is just counter-balancing the damage the previous regime made.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Find me a FO that went 4-12 and isnt desperate. .Yes this FO is desperate and I'm sure as shit happy about that because they just seriously upgraded this team during the first weekend of FA.

11. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

"CHEAP".... You know - what the numbnuts have called them the past 2 years..

Meanwhile the FA market this year was much diffferent... It's as if they went shopping and didn't like anything so they were "Cheap"...

Now they went shopping, had the money and liked the goods so, they're "Desperate"...

I expected more signings as the regime took hold - I think it's foolish to spend too much in year 1 and still kinda follish in year 2.. In year 3 you know what you have, and you know what you need - If you see it out there GET IT.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The Jets went from thinking that their talent was sufficient enough to be a contender, not thinking ahead and hurting themselves in the process to filling holes that may take 2 years through the draft. Now in this deep draft they only need to complete the team instead of relying on the draft to fill needs.

Before FA our needs were - NT,LG,OLB,RT,WR,ILB,CB,S,QB,RB

Now our needs are - LB depth,WR,CB,S,QB,RB
    The draft can fill it with Gholston, the WR depth in the draft, and the CB depth in the draft
    Not too shabby.

#12 NDmick, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  13. boogerstyles

boogerstyles New Member

I'm very satisfied with this offseason, especially the faneca/woody signings. I think people might think it's a little desperate because it raises some questions:

a) how we are going to pay the number 6th pick. if we somehow get mcfadden, he's going to be asking for $$$, probably more so then others. Trade out? Not sure if i'd like that too much, we're in a unique positon to add a dynamic rookie.

b) how we are going to sign guys to extensions like kerry rhodes, who after seeing how much we've doled out to revis, jenkins and pace, is going to want a legit contract which mirrors those newbies (and i think he deserves it).

c) I'm not really expecting calvin pace to get 10 sacks, but if he turns into another BT (achem, mid-first round pick from a medium sized college program- wake forest/UAB- who came in as a DE, then converted to OLB on contract year and had a good year), that will be a monumental blunder IMO with such a young talent like gholston basically there if we want him.

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The beat writer saying it is desperation is just a yoyo. This FA season has been great. I really do think we are prepared for the draft and we should have a year we can look forward, too.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Well McFadden isn't coming here, lets all get that straight... Its still going to be a defensive player because we have a defensive coach and we will draft more defensive players. The one piece of insider information i have, Darren McFuckalot wasn't on the list- Ellis, Gholston, Merling... The dynamic rookie will be paid in this cap year because they make next to nothing in their 1st year minus the signing bonus.
    Plus the Cap is only going to rise again until 2011 when the CBA runs aout

Extensions i feel will get done, when is the question and i fear hardball happening again and screwing us out of a player we need that year (kendall)... We didnt love Kendall though, we adore Rhodes. I think he's our Ed Reed/John Lynch- considering he had better years than both of them.

Your right about Pace, this may come back to bite them right in the ass-- devils advocate, Parcells wanted him so badly that I trust he might be good. He told us to go get Coleman and he had the most tackles amongst 3-4 DEs.

I had fun answering those questions, thanks. :up:

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The 6th pick will be paid accordingly regardless of who it is. They will get less than the #5 pick and more than the #7 pick. The max alloted rookie salary cap in 2007 was $6.913 million and the leaguewide average was $4.275 million. We are presently in the $4-$8 million range and we will gain an extra $8 million when we unload drob in one way or another.

He could be signed to an extension after we dump drob, when pennington leaves this year or next, or just franchise tagged next year. I wouldn't worry about this quite yet.

Pace won't prevent us from signing Gholston if he's there and we want him.

17. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

:rofl2:

filler

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Actually, it wasn't a beat writer, it was that turd Mike Florio from PFT.com I believe.

19. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

One has to wonder what the hell was going on last year and why did we have to sit through high school football and watch the option play over and over. A lot of people on this site were very critical and still should be . Get all this money (Code word for players)to Gel and then we'll talk. It is a what have you done for me lately Business and there time is fading. Most Coaches with moderate success get 3-4 years ; so if we fall short with this new crop of talented Money:wink: then it either Coordinator's getting blamed or Mangini Pulls a Houdini and disappears.

20. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I mean the term we could never make em happy comes to mind.... Last year we made no FA splashes and we just sat around wit our thumbs up our you know what.. and this year were making power moves grabbing all the pieces before the draft so now in the draft we just gotta touch up a few positions and its gonna be smooth sailing... Ill say this it cant get any worse then 4-12 trust me...