How did Parcells build the '98 Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 7, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

It's very likely the the 2017 Jets are going to finish up as the worst Jet team since the infamous 1-15 '96 squad.

Part of the reason why I am in favor of cleaning house after this season is what I saw Parcells do with a clean slate in '96. In just two years he built the '98 Jets which were the best Jets team of my lifetime, and a legit Super Bowl caliber team in most years.

The funny thing is that '98 team really wasn't built through the draft. Bill brought in the right veterans who meshed well together to go along with some emerging young talent (most of which was already on the roster).

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While Parcells' Jets did well, they were built for the short term. He brought in a lot of older, expensive vets that he knew and trusted. In doing so, he killed the cap, but he didn't care because he knew he wasn't going to HC of the Jets for long. If memory serves me correctly, within a year or two after he left, most of the vets were gone as well as some other Jets because of their cap issues.

In addition, his drafting was atrocious for the most part. He passed up two HOF LTs, and took a bunch of stiffs who never even made the team or were gone within a year or two. His 2000 draft saved his drafting legacy. He is no one to emulate in building a team, at least not in how he put the Jets together. I don't know if he can take any credit for building the Giants, but I doubt it, since they've had excellent GMs. Perhaps he did a good job with the Pats or Cowboys, but I don't know or care about them.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

However one feels about Parcelles (sic)...

It was beautiful to watch him take LT off the leash and sic him on the opposing teams QB.

I watched every single game that Taylor played.

He was like a Pitbull on a Chihuahua. When he on the field, even the other teams defense was scared.

4. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

They did have SOME talent already on the roster like Keyshawn/Chrebet, Jumbo Elliott, Aaron Glenn, Mo Lewis, Victor Green and Marvin Jones, there was a reason expectations were stupid in 1996. Hugh Douglas too but he wasn't a fit with Parcells :p And Parcells bringing in Curtis Martin (albeit for a 1st and 3rd rounder) and Kevin Mawae were good moves by any measure. But yes by and large his drafting was horrible and he won games in spite of it.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Drugs are a hellava drug. Parcells knew Taylor was coked up all the time, and he nominally cared. He looked the other way because he wanted to win. Fat Parcells didn't go to Taylor's HOF induction because Taylor refused to denounce drugs and to tell kids that drugs are bad. Parcells is such a hypocrite. Fukk him and his coaching tree. He gave me nothing.

NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think he started by costing us one of the best QBs to ever play the game(Payton). Subsequently costing us at least one if not more Superbowls.
    Let's do it again !!!!!
    You seem to out do yourself with each new post.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Also brought in Bryan Cox, Otis Smith, Kerry Jenkins, Tom Tupa, Jumbo Elloitt, Vinny Testeverde....

8. JethroTull

How were the Jets built for the short term? After 1998 they were solid up until 2005. Most of their success stemmed from Parcells draft picks.

John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Chad Pennington, and Laverneous Coles were the core of the 2002 team.

Also James Farrior became a great player in Pittsburgh

HomeoftheJets and James Hasty like this.
  9. JethroTull

How was it Parcells fault that Peyton didn't come out?

10. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Knowing what he had, Knowing what he needed, getting players he knew could be held accountable,and the key factor with it all is discipline and calling out players in public and on the field who screw up.

James Hasty likes this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Archie reached out to Parcels several times, Payton wanted to come to the Jets, Parcels wouldn't commit to drafting him so he stayed at Tennessee.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Hard to blame Parcells for blowing out the salary cap. You have to remember that for about the first ten years of the cap (1994-2004 or 05) most of the NFL bought into the idea that the way to win under the cap was to bring in a ton of FAs and try to win it all in a 2-3 year window during which you blow the cap, and spend 4-5 years recovering for another 2-3 year window. Virtually every team went through that cycle.

TonyFtLaud, James Hasty and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

I give Tuna very little credit. The Jets had good personel on the team when he arrived. Kotite was that bad.
    He fixed special teams to an extent and then fell into the VT situation when Foley lied about an injury and got benched. VT was the real story.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

If coke makes a good linebacker play anything like LT....then get me in touch with the nearest Sinaloa cocaine cartel.

We'll buy the Jets and start winning the VLT every year from now on!

Red Menace likes this.
  15. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Three of those guys were traded for in the Keyshawn deal and Billy Boy compensation and a couple of those picks were post Parcells.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry ...I'll take Parcells back

Guy is HOF Coach and even with mistakes better than loser parade of HC lately

HomeoftheJets and James Hasty like this.
  17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

He built the team to win a Super bowl and almost did it. Leon did not have time for a rebuild. 1998 was by far the best season for me since going to games in 1981. I loved the guy. Only Jet coach who can manage the clock perfectly

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Bill Parcels did an amazing job of drafting. Jason Fabini our starting LT under Herm was a fourth rounder. The 2000 draft hit on four out of four first rounders and hitting again with Cole's in round 3. Our NT Fergeson was a seventh rounder. Anyone who is critical of our drafts under Parcels needs to bite their tongue.

tbruner12 likes this.
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Not only did Parcels make some amazing pick-ups in free agency (Mawae, Testaverde, etc) but as a coach he got the most out of free agents and holdovers from the Kotite era. Richie Anderson spent a couple years in Parcell's dog house before emerging as a pro bowl player.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What Parcells did was not a sustainable blueprint. Better to look at the Steelers, Giants, Pats, Broncos, Packers and Seahawks for better plans.

But one thing I can say for sure: constantly building up the defense at the expense of the offense, which has been the Jets philosophy for decades, doesn't work.

southsidejet and Noam like this.